Future pilot ...

TreeTopFlyer83

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TreeTopFlyer83
Was wondering if the Cessna 172 would be the best plane to learn in or would a 150/152 be a better option? I had a guy who is teaching my dad to fly tell me today that the 172 isn't a good plane to learn in but he's the only person that I've ever heard say that. I have read great things about the 172 being a great plane to learn in and it being a safe plane to learn in. He did say the 150/152 would be a better option in his opinion.

I was thinking to myself does this guy really know what he's talking about. lol He does have about 20,000 hours of instructor time with almost 7,000 of those hours on taildragger. So he must know right? Any information you guys or ladies can provide is always appreciated. Thanks again.

I did the vast majority of my training in a 152. It’s a bit more responsive than a 172 and a little more docile and novice friendly. It’s always easier to transition from something less stable into something that’s more stable. Either one will work just fine, but I believe that the 152 is superior to the 172 for training purposes.

i earned my Sport Cert in a 162 but i also have hours in a 152 and a 172. IMO all three fly pretty much the same. the 172 is a bit roomier than the 152. the 172 and would be my choice if weight was an issue.

Even for training one must consider W&B. What kinda tonnage you carrying around?

Both the 150/152 and 172 are nice, friendly, trainers that you can learn to fly in. Which is "better" is the kind of thing that comes down to personal preferences (and, as others have said, cost-sensitivity and body size).
Personally, I was both cost-sensitive and not large (5'5"/140lb), so I trained in 152's, and moving to 172's later was really easy.
But I think that the "best" plane is whichever one has two wings, three wheels, one engine, and goes with the CFI that you like!

Been flying and instructing in both for many years, either is fine. 152 IMO is a fun little airplane and I enjoy flying it. Most of my students go for the 172s but I have a few that fly the 152 too.

If you don’t have any weight restrictions the 152 is a good choice,will save you money in the long run

I flew both. Have about 25 hours in a 152 and 350 in a 172. That should tell you something right there! I did not like the 152 much. It’s very small, the seats can’t be adjusted, and the inside is really cramped. I really enjoy flying the 172. I think it makes an honest pilot out of you( it’s forgoving for sure but you need to respond to wind on landings and be on with your flare.) When I was getting checked out for the 152 a few years back, the instructor called the plane the “land o matic” because, in his opinion, the plane was so easy to land that it really did not require any skill. I found him to be pretty right on.

I’d fly a 172 over a 152 any day.

I did my PP in a 152 and loved it - the aircraft was so responsive after awhile it feels like a physical extension. I do recall it being tight but that didn't matter - I was flying! It's also WAY easier to tow around manually by yourself. However after now more time in 172s, and 40 lbs more tonnage than when I was 26, I bet if I got in a 150 today it would feel like getting into my old VW Bug in high school. Everything is RIGHT THERE. Tight. If money was a factor I'd still do the 150 for PP. The transition to the 172 later is easy.

I trained exclusively in a 172, and I have to admit, I used to look down on the 150/152. Until I flew one. They are fun to fly, and to me have a much nicer control harmony and "feel" than the 172. It's a sweet little airplane! If you and your instructor fit in the 152, I see no reason NOT to train in that aircraft. Hey, you'll even save a little money.

Have you sat in a 152 with your CFI. Is it comfortable and within weight? That’s the only real difference between a 152 and 172.

I did my training in a Cherokee; I looked at a 152 at first, because it would have been cheaper, but... I don't fit in them. :) At 6'4", there was no comfortable way for me to sit in it where my knees are out of the way of the yoke, so that wasn't going to work. Other than considerations like that though, whichever you're comfortable in should be fine. Nothing wrong with the 172 at all.

I did my PP in a 152 and loved it - the aircraft was so responsive after awhile it feels like a physical extension.

I trained in PA-28-161 then moved to a Cessna club. Checked out in the 172 first, and other than ground effect and view, found it to be pretty similar. A few months later, I checking out in the 152 (after someone else burned off half the gas so we were within weight). Once I kicked the CFI out after the signoff, I've always equate it to strapping on wings. More 'of' the plane than 'in' it. Really does feel like a physical extension - I can only imagine a Cub or the like is even more so.

All good planes, I'll fly whichever I can, but the 152 seems a little more fun. I started riding motorcycles with an old 750cc inline 4. After many years/miles on that, I got a little 250 dualsport. That little bike, to this day, I call The Grin Machine. The difference between 172/152 is very much like that to me.

This is one of those "distinction without a difference" situations. One isn't better than the other. Slightly different, but not better.

A good instructor can make you into a fine pilot in either one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked out in a 172. besides engine what is the difference in 152 and 172? yes weight! is air frame the same as 172?

The airframes are much different and have no common parts. The 172 has a much bigger volume and holds 4 seats, plus a baggage area.

The 172 has more dihedral, so it's more stable and has a slower rate of roll, but it's not a night and day difference when compared to a 152.

Back