I've had enough, I'm getting a divorce

I was there during Jackie Sherrill's reign. While he might have had his controversies, the football squad did pretty good while he was in charge.
Gig'em A Whoop.. from a damn New Army member.

Year and ROTC unit at Texas A&M. Sorry for the gratuitous thread drift.

@Timbeck2 - i did some looking but wasnt sure what all are you doing with your panel. So the vacuum pump is now totally unnecessary? Do you have redundant attitude info? Intending to fly hard IFR? Just curious and trying to understand.

I've replaced the attitude indicator with a Garmin G5 and now I'm replacing the heading indicator with a Garmin G5 HSI making the vacuum system unnecessary. My plane is IFR already as I have an ILS (actually a VAL 429 INS which is an ILS and a VOR in one) and a VOR along with DME. I just can't do GPS approaches.

this

G5-EFI.jpg

and this

11-15014.jpg

Last edited:
Now I have two holes to fill. One by the brake reservoir that held the old vacuum filter in place and a large one that the vacuum hose from the pump fed into. I can plug one up with a bolt but not so sure about the big one. Eventually that will be the through hole for all the engine monitor stuff down the road. So far I've lost almost 10 pounds of instruments, old wiring, etc. We even found a wire leading to a breaker labeled "auto pilot" so I think at one point my plane was so equipped. Long gone now.

You should put a JPI 830/900/930 in

My Cherokee Six now has dual G5's and I love the GPSS steering of my original Piper AutoControl III autopilot. Works like a champ!

True, I don't have altitude hold, but it's really nice having George hold the course on long flights. I also routinely have George assist with IFR approaches.

The caveat for me is the AutoControl III required that I retain my old AI, which I moved to a different location on my panel. Which means I had to keep the vacuum pump.

No big deal. I basically have a 5 different places to go for attitude reference while flying hard IFR: The 2 G5's each with battery backup, the original vacuum AI, the Avidiyne IFD 550's synthetic vision, and the ForeFlight/Stratus 2S with synth vision.

Once the TruTrak is fully tested with G5's, I'll look into replace the old George (45 years old) with the new Young Turk! :) For now, I'm REALLY happy with how things are working and I'll take the risk of having to replace the vacuum pump.

Very nice. Gonna be a very well equipped Cherokee

I really don't know how to answer those two elbows from the top rope Jim. Thanks for the bruises. RG400 may not be necessary but its all my guy uses and he found from a supplier for a lot less than the $6 a foot I paid before. On the ESG, I didn't even know that was a possibility considering the distance between us but could you have beat $2635 and barter installation?

Price aside, can you justify coiling up several feet (and several pounds of useful load) just to meet the cable loss minimums with RG-400? Price NOT aside, can RG-400 beat 4 bits a foot for RG-58? A kerosene queen might justify that, but a Cherokee?

As to the ESG, you might want to look at www.rstengineering.com to the ADSB page and then use the password I'm sending you by pm to get to the EAA/AOPA discount page. Yes, I can beat that all hollow AND drop ship directly from the factory.

Jim

I can't compare because although it may be exact, I paid for the "certified" version. Even with the discount of around $300 that I was able to get, yours brought it down another $500 from what I paid.

Back