Hope to meet new friends in the aviation community.

I read a book that emphasized jury nullification as something juries really need to start doing when it comes to certain non-violent crimes. It was called Let's Get Free: A Hip-Hop Theory of Justice by Paul Butler. We are incarcerating waaaaay too many citizens to the point now that it is causing more harm than good.

Anyway, not saying anything about your case one way or the other Tyrease, and it's none of our business but glad you turned your life around and welcome to the forum! Good luck with the medical and starting lessons.

If you really want to just get in the cockpit there might be a local airport with CFIs or school that would be willing to take you up for an introductory flight without you having a medical yet. On the other hand you say you're living in your car, probably best put money toward finding a place first.:) But I understand wanting to get in the air!

Never mind my post crossed with the ones above!
Thank you for the info. As far as my situation. By no means do I try to blame anyone for my decisions. I get it about the incarceration rate. But, I will not cry over spilled milk when it was I who tipped the glass, on purpose. I learned from that and now moving on to a better more productive life. So, if that means jumping through a lot of more hoops then most I’m ok with it. Why? Well I believe in myself and hard work always shows even when you have to jump through more hoops. I see it ass it give me the stage a little longer. Lol! Thank you hope to see everyone of you.

Welcome and good luck!!! From what I've read, it's a great time to pursue aviation with the growing pilot shortage and all. I've never known if that was real but it seems to be.

Did Dr. Bruce expect you to get the thumbs up on your medical? His assessments are something like 1,547,533,217 correct to 1 wrong. If he said you'll get it, that would make me smile.

You may need an alternative to the traditional
Airlines with a felony in your background, however. Maybe charter or something. That's above my pay grade as I'm not a pro pilot.

Have you applied for work at a local FBO for line service? Fueling, parking and moving planes etc.? That could also get you a ride with a local owner if they are aware of your interest after you get to know folks a bit.

Best of luck with school.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
If for some reason you cannot get a medical, there are other jobs in aviation that you may like, so look to try and expand your view.

I hope you get housing sorted before winter hits, weather in summer is fine. But winter is not something to play with.

Tim

Welcome Tyrease. May the God's smile on you in your endeavors. If I lived closer I'd not only let you sit in my plane, I'd let you fly it.
Thank you! I’m very humbled by the fact so many people have open arms. Yes I was in trouble some 11 years ago but still. Quite a humbling experience. With that said I know there are more people out there that are as generous and loving in this area as yourselves. Through my hard work and sacrifice it will all come together.

Welcome and good luck!!! From what I've read, it's a great time to pursue aviation with the growing pilot shortage and all. I've never known if that was real but it seems to be.

Did Dr. Bruce expect you to get the thumbs up on your medical? His assessments are something like 1,547,533,217 correct to 1 wrong. If he said you'll get it, that would make me smile.

You may need an alternative to the traditional
Airlines with a felony in your background, however. Maybe charter or something. That's above my pay grade as I'm not a pro pilot.

Have you applied for work at a local FBO for line service? Fueling, parking and moving planes etc.? That could also get you a ride with a local owner if they are aware of your interest after you get to know folks a bit.

Best of luck with school.
Well he didn’t say yes or no, but he did say that I got one of the general letters asking for additional things, which I provided and I think that I will be ok.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
If for some reason you cannot get a medical, there are other jobs in aviation that you may like, so look to try and expand your view.

I hope you get housing sorted before winter hits, weather in summer is fine. But winter is not something to play with.

Tim
Yes, winter is coming up. My housing is like this because I had to sacrifice for the psych eval whicj is not cheap. But also because i was off for summer break from school, and had to move out of where I was staying. Long story short I will not look back when my step are taking me forward. So living in my car was and is a better alternative. But i just got a job for all of next week at a temp service making 16 an hr. So that will be some money and school starts on the 24th so I get funding for that as well. Sacrifice and hard work is where I’ll live.

Welcome Tyrease. May the God's smile on you in your endeavors. If I lived closer I'd not only let you sit in my plane, I'd let you fly it.

I was thinking the same thing, but Texas is a long ways away

Thank you. And I will be dependable.

Your welcome.

And I know you will. You know what it is like to lose your freedom, and I know you do not want to do that again.

You have made sacrifices while working for your goal, and that is noticeable along with your determination, and appreciated.

I wish you good luck and prosperity.

Your welcome.

And I know you will. You know what it is like to lose your freedom, and I know you do not want to do that again.

You have made sacrifices while working for your goal, and that is noticeable along with your determination, and appreciated.

I wish you good luck and prosperity.
Again, thank you it is people as yourself that makes it so warm and welcome to a community of appreciation. Let the sky not be a limit, let it be a destination.

Tyrease, It's good to see your determination. You're on the right path after making wrong choices. The key is to STAY on the right path as you move forward and face the challenges and setbacks that you WILL face!
Setting and Achieving positive goals is not easy. You will face many obstacles to success, but I believe you realize this already. Do not get discouraged even if things don't happen at the pace you'd like them to.

Set realistic goals for yourself. Resolving your homeless issue should probably be your first priority, IMO.
Actually, Finding stable employment should probably be priority number one!

I understand that you have to crawl before you walk and temporary employment is better than no employment. So stay with the temp agency, keep yourself clean, show up on time and work towards a better means of employment.

I was born in 1965 and raised in Newark, NJ (yeah that place), in relative poverty. I say relative because we were fortunate compared to a lot of others in that city. I was fortunate to escape the lifestyle of crime and drugs that so many got trapped by. Went to electrical school, learned a skilled trade and make a decent living.

I'm now 32 years employed with the same agency, retiring in about two years when I turn 55 (God willing). I have friends, siblings and other family members who were not as fortunate, again, life choices.

My desire to become a pilot goes back as far as I can remember! My father (rest his soul) used to put us on the bus (he couldn't drive and mom had no car) and take us down to NEWARK airport so that I could watch the airplanes! Back in the 70's, you could sit at the gate all day, even if you weren't flying. Years later, fate would have it, I started my electrical career at Newark airport installing, repairing and maintaining the runway/taxiway lighting, signage, tower and terminal building electrical systems.

He knew how much I wanted to fly. It didn't happen until I was thirty two (twenty years ago). Both he and mom were gone by then, so it was a bittersweet moment because I know he would have been my first passenger.

Although I never faced the challenges you have, I had other obstacles to overcome, mainly financial.
But I was determined to make it happen!

By the time it did, I had a wife and three young children (what was I thinking, lol). Oh yeah, don't be in a rush to do that. And if you do have any mouths to feed other than your own...THEY COME FIRST!

Again, keep your head up, stay positive and determined. Never ever get into anymore trouble and you'll do fine.

Wish you the best!

Last edited:
Glad to see you decided to grow up.
Please take that as motivation and not douchebaggery.

Tyrease, It's good to see your determination. You're on the right path after making wrong choices. The key is to STAY on the right path as you move forward and face the challenges and setbacks that you WILL face!
Setting and Achieving positive goals is not easy. You will face many obstacles to success, but I believe you realize this already. Do not get discouraged even if things don't happen at the pace you'd like them to.

Set realistic goals for yourself. Resolving your homeless issue should probably be your first priority, IMO.
Actually, Finding stable employment should probably be priority number one!

I understand that you have to crawl before you walk and temporary employment is better than no employment. So stay with the temp agency, keep yourself clean, show up on time and work towards a better means of employment.

I was born in 1965 and raised in Newark, NJ (yeah that place), in relative poverty. I say relative because we were fortunate compared to a lot of others in that city. I was fortunate to escape the lifestyle of crime and drugs that so many got trapped by. Went to electrical school, learned a skilled trade and make a decent living.

I'm now 32 years employed with the same agency, retiring in about two years when I turn 55 (God willing). I have friends, siblings and other family members who were not as fortunate, again, life choices.

My desire to become a pilot goes back as far as I can remember! My father (rest his soul) used to put us on the bus (he couldn't drive and mom had no car) and take us down to NEWARK airport so that I could watch the airplanes! Back in the 70's, you could sit at the gate all day, even if you weren't flying. He knew how much I wanted to fly. It didn't happen until I was thirty two (twenty years ago). Both he and mom were gone by then, so it was a bittersweet moment because I know he would have been my first passenger. Years later, fate would have it, I started my electrical career at Newark airport installing, repairing and maintaining the runway/taxiway lighting, signage, tower and terminal building electrical systems.

Although I never faced the challenges you have, I had other obstacles to overcome, mainly financial.
But I was determined to make it happen!

By the time it did, I had a wife and three young children (what was I thinking, lol). Oh yeah, don't be in a rush to do that. And if you do have any mouths to feed other than your own...THEY COME FIRST!

Again, keep your head up, stay positive and determined. Never ever get into anymore trouble and you'll do fine.

Wish you the best!
First, let me say that I’m so honored that so many have gave me nothing but uplifting support. I really believe I have found the right people to surround myself with. With that said I will not give up. Yes I have grown up to be a man who tries his best to stand behind integrity. Your story really touch me because I see that it is possible. I do understand that my life means more than some quick fast and a hurry. One day you will see me and will be able to say. I gave him that advice. Thank you keep watch and you will see that I am a person who is striving for complete integrity. Again thank you and I apologize for not doing my part in the world. You have my yes that I will strive to be a dependable man from here on out.

Yes that is the very college I’m enrolled in classes start the 24th of this month pending medical. But doing everything I can in between to rise above. Thank you for the advice

Yes I’m getting training at the college. I will be getting associates of applied science in professional piloting. With transfer in mind to a four year to get aviation management. I plan on offering a service here like non- other around this area.

This is the best of schools in this area. They give you hours plus when you complete CFI training they automatically hire you as as CFI so you can build all your hours with them while getting degree. I am halfway to my associates and cannot wait to get in a plane. Spoke to FAA today and was told to call back Friday. I truly believe if I was going to get denied they would of said nope. I have jumped through all the hoops. Had a positive psych eval so just waiting on medical so I can enroll for class on 24th of this month

To all my new friends in this community got good news from F.A.A today. They received everything and hoping to sign off by this Thursday and I’ll start school in time cannot wait. Thank you to all for the encouraging thoughts and prayers It really helped a lot. So now I have a question I will complete this one and start it fresh because what I was told maybe be big difference of belief. So please I will complete and really need your thoughts on this next one.

Ok the question I have how is lift generated? So here is my theory. Yes I get that for every action there has to be a reaction and the theory of high and low pressure. But what is the real measure of it? Just trying to piece it together. Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this just a student late trying to get it early.

First, let me say that I’m so honored that so many have gave me nothing but uplifting support. I really believe I have found the right people to surround myself with. With that said I will not give up. Yes I have grown up to be a man who tries his best to stand behind integrity. Your story really touch me because I see that it is possible. I do understand that my life means more than some quick fast and a hurry. One day you will see me and will be able to say. I gave him that advice. Thank you keep watch and you will see that I am a person who is striving for complete integrity. Again thank you and I apologize for not doing my part in the world. You have my yes that I will strive to be a dependable man from here on out.
You seem sincere in your desire to be a better person and a stand-up man. As you work toward that goal, don't overthink things with respect to your past transgressions. You owe no one here an apology for... "not doing your part in the world". That is between you and your maker/creator/God. If you've wronged others, apologize to them, yourself and repent of that behavior. But that's it.
Then go on an become a productive member of society, THAT is your part in the world!

God bless you and best wishes on your schooling and training. Hopefully you will meetup with a local pilot soon.

You seem sincere in your desire to be a better person and a stand-up man. As you work toward that goal, don't overthink things with respect to your past transgressions. You owe no one here an apology for... "not doing your part in the world". That is between you and your maker/creator/God. If you've wronged others, apologize to them, yourself and repent of that behavior. But that's it.
Then go on an become a productive member of society, THAT is your part in the world!

God bless you and best wishes on your schooling and training. Hopefully you will meetup with a local pilot soon.
Thank you so much for the uplift. Yes I have done just that but I thought it best to also apologizes for what I truly believe is my part, but I do understand what you say. I’m also hoping to meet up with local pilots and people, but it’s hard when you know not one person and have cut ties with a lot of people because of their continued life style. Again thank you so much for the uplift.

Welcome to the crazy house Tyrease. Follow that dream all the way to the end. You can do this.

If you haven't already done so there are great FREE resources on the FAA website

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/

You'll want to dig into these to get started

PHAK - Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
AFH - Airplane Flying Handbook
FAR/AIM

Also check out https://www.faa-ground-school.com/ You can do 1/3 of the program for free

Keep us updated!
Thank you so much for all that info. I give you my word if I’ll will keep updating through my progress. Thank you

Welcome to the mad zoo of crazy pilots, Ty! Well, some of us are sane (borderline, though)
Glad to see your perseverance, it usually pays off if you stay on top of it and don't let hurdles discourage you.

Good luck and have fun! (literally, have fun training, that's the best way)

Welcome to the mad zoo of crazy pilots, Ty! Well, some of us are sane (borderline, though)
Glad to see your perseverance, it usually pays off if you stay on top of it and don't let hurdles discourage you.

Good luck and have fun! (literally, have fun training, that's the best way)
I plan on it! Thank you for the response. I knew I would be in the right place making new friends. I’m an old dog learning new trick and so excited about it. Well I will keep the community up to date on my progress. No hurdle will knock me out. I can stumble, but will always get back up and continue the race. Thank you.

Here’s hoping you find a chit bag of $$$$ for training....cause if you happen to get the medical....you’re gonna need it.

Here’s hoping you find a chit bag of $$$$ for training....cause if you happen to get the medical....you’re gonna need it.
Thank you very much for the hope. I think I’ll be ok. Things are looking up and my situation will continue to get better and more productive. Thank you

Back