My flight instructor says I'm complex...

James thinks that's not possible. What are you trying to do, tell,him he is wrong?

Never said it was not possible, but for most it’s going to be boarderline pencil whipping it, I mean would they crash, no, would I let them fly my plane no, but yours....sure :)

Taking my complex now to prepare for the Mooney (I haven’t got yet) that’s in the hangar (that I’m on a waiting lust for).

Although I got the mechanics down in the first hour, the repetition is definitely going to drill those concepts in until I hope they become muscle memory items. The school requires minimum of 5 hours but after that it’s up to the instructor and your own comfort level.

Mine was 5 hours. Mainly to satisfy the insurance company and club rules.

Taking my complex now to prepare for the Mooney (I haven’t got yet) that’s in the hangar (that I’m on a waiting lust for).

Although I got the mechanics down in the first hour, the repetition is definitely going to drill those concepts in until I hope they become muscle memory items. The school requires minimum of 5 hours but after that it’s up to the instructor and your own comfort level.

Cool! Never been in a Mooney but there's a guy who has one at my home field and it's pretty!

I went from a Cherokee to a Mooney. Pretty big transition. I suppose it may be different going from a Cherokee to an Archer, for example. But one size just doesn’t fit for everyone for lots of reasons. To intimate otherwise is a disservice to the community. Like everything else in aviation, things take as long as they take. Thankfully we truly aren’t beholden to self appointed experts.

I went from a Cherokee to a Mooney. Pretty big transition. I suppose it may be different going from a Cherokee to an Archer, for example. But one size just doesn’t fit for everyone for lots of reasons. To intimate otherwise is a disservice to the community. Like everything else in aviation, things take as long as they take. Thankfully we truly aren’t beholden to self appointed experts.

The insurance company I'm talking to requires me to have 10 hours dual and 5 solo (in M&M), on top of the complex, before carrying passengers. Looking forward to the adventure of it all!!!

The insurance company I'm talking to requires me to have 10 hours dual and 5 solo (in M&M), on top of the complex, before carrying passengers. Looking forward to the adventure of it all!!!

Keep us posted! And pics!!

James thinks that's not possible. What are you trying to do, tell,him he is wrong?

Certainly you can find an instructor that will sign you off in an hour, but sorry, I’m not one of them. Can you physically fly an Arrow after an hour checkout, sure. Transitioning to a complex is also as much about forming good habits. Can you form habits in an hour?, not really. If you are moving from a carburetored 172 to something fuel injected, I at least want to see you can start the thing properly when I’m not there. If it’s something that’s a significant increase in speed, I’m also going to take you on a cross country or take you a fair distance and altitude away from home and show you proper descent planning. One of my biggest pet peeves that makes me cringe is when I see folks jam the prop forward under power just because the checklist says so.

Just because you can get the airplane around the patch without killing yourself doesn’t mean you know how it should be done. Maybe some day I’ll be as good as some of you guys.

Last edited:
2.6 in Complex (Arrow)
1.3 in HP (182)

I would need more time in either before they would rent them to me solo. Having said that I flew a friends T tail Arrow a few weeks ago in the left seat he sat right and considering I hadn't flown an Arrow since March I managed to get it in the air and on the ground a couple times without wrecking it. :)

Hate to bust a bubble, but a complex endorsement is about the dumbest "endorsement" I have seen. 1 hr dual. Any more than that and you are getting milked by the CFI. I consider it about on par with learning how to use the self serve pump.

Well, there's also the matter of insurance requirements. When our club had an Arrow the insurance required at least 100 hours TT and 5 hours in type to solo. By shear dumb luck I hit 5 hours dual in the Arrow and 100 hour TT at the same moment. So, my complex endorsement took 5 hours. BTW, there was more than just learning to lower the gear during that 5 hours. We actually had to pull out the emergency checklist when the gear wouldn't extend while configuring for slow flight. Any guesses as to how far we got down the list before finding the problem? Needless to say, we returned to the field with the gear down to let the A&P figure out why it happened. He couldn't, and it never happened again.

Bottom line, time spent with a CFI is never wasted.

Bottom line, time spent with a CFI is never wasted.

Completely disagree.

I literally wasted hours with a CFI-I who promptly left when he found a regional that would take him. The next guy flew with asked, "why are you still flying with a CFI and not taking a check ride?" A few short convos With his other students determined he was milking hours off three of us with BS of how we were not ready, the check ride is much harder than you think, if you can't hold 50 ft I won't sign you off and so on.

Fyou John...... yea, you know who are. The only good flight we had was into Long Beach Intl to mins in IMC. You are a dirt bag and I hope you got fired from that rinky-dink regional you couldn't wait to join. You claim to be a CFI-I, but really, you are just a self serving dirk diggler.

So yea, hours can very much so be wasted by a CFI.

Did my complex in an arrow - 1.3 or so.. My HP was in a 182 2 hour x/c with my CFII for my instrument. Both were a piece of cake. i'd say better than half my 200 hrs TT is in complex airplanes.

Back