Staying sharp between flight lessons

Boiler03

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Boiler03
I'm around 2 months and 16 flight hours into my training and I've settled into a rhythm of 1-2 flights per week depending on schedule and weather. Starting to see nice progress and getting very close to solo time. I've also been spending around an hour per day in the evenings studying material for the written exam and watching youtube videos on the basics.

Any suggestions on other ways to stay sharp between lessons?

I'm open to anything. Possibly considering logging my flights in Garmin or Foreflight to review details on my pattern work (I think this will be especially helpful when I start solo patterns). Any other technology, techniques, or recommended reading/viewing would be much appreciated. Just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of every lesson.

I'm around 2 months and 16 flight hours into my training and I've settled into a rhythm of 1-2 flights per week depending on schedule and weather. Starting to see nice progress and getting very close to solo time. I've also been spending around an hour per day in the evenings studying material for the written exam and watching youtube videos on the basics.

I'm open to anything. Possibly considering logging my flights in Garmin or Foreflight to review details on my pattern work (I think this will be especially helpful when I start solo patterns). Any other technology, techniques, or recommended reading/viewing would be much appreciated. Just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of every lesson.

Seems like you’re doing plenty. If you haven’t already, read the book The Killing Zone.

Don't take the graphic in the first post as the wrong message: chair flying is a great method to continue to think your way through procedure and consider the stick and rudder inputs for an entire flight.

The idea is to visualize and physically perform as many of the tasks as possible. Make the radio calls, reach out and imagine flipping the switches, move your hands and feet, etc.

When you run up against things you're not sure of or don't know the answer to, take notes of the questions so you can get your instructor's guidance.

Don't take the graphic in the first post as the wrong message: chair flying is a great method to continue to think your way through procedure and consider the stick and rudder inputs for an entire flight.

The idea is to visualize and physically perform as many of the tasks as possible. Make the radio calls, reach out and imagine flipping the switches, move your hands and feet, etc.

When you run up against things you're not sure of or don't know the answer to, take notes of the questions so you can get your instructor's guidance.

I tell student this and I think they believe I am crazy. Go around procedure for instance, descent check, etc, chair fly the procedures. It works.

I tell student this and I think they believe I am crazy. Go around procedure for instance, descent check, etc, chair fly the procedures. It works.

Chair flying is a commonplace practice in the USAF training mantra; it is easier to think and learn at 0 knots and 1G than it is at 300 knots and 6Gs. Thus if it doesn't make sense while you are visualizing it at your own pace, it isn't going to magically click when the engine and the Hobbs are running.

https://www.flyingmag.com/technique/tip-week/visualize-perfect-flight

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/mind-over-matter/#.W400PH4nbUo

Chair flying is a commonplace practice in the USAF training mantra; it is easier to think and learn at 0 knots and 1G than it is at 300 knots and 6Gs. Thus if it doesn't make sense while you are visualizing it at your own pace, it isn't going to magically click when the engine and the Hobbs are running.

https://www.flyingmag.com/technique/tip-week/visualize-perfect-flight

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/mind-over-matter/#.W400PH4nbUo

Used it at the airline too. Cockpit procedures training has the actual panels (not actual but very close) to make it realistic. Most airlines use it before firing up the sim so that flows are pretty much down.

Yeah. And doing it in the plane if you can. Even if you can’t fly because of weather or $$ @Boiler03, if you have access to the planes you’ll be flying, try it.

Last edited:
The picture might have implied AggieMike was joking, but he was not.

As everyone above said. Chair flying is huge (and free).

Have your poh and checklists with you. I used to have my sectional and class bravo chart.

She seems to have a bad attitude about CFI’s. Blah, blah, blah?

A little forward pressure on the ol' plumbers friend and a litlle 'back' joystick outta redden up another candle
She was going for sport pilot. I think she had some back injury that might have made a medical hard to get. She always had a great attitude about it all, I hope she's doing well.

Chair flying some patterns is a great idea at this point. My CFI says that all of the procedures and timing in pattern need to become second nature prior to solo (i.e. reducing power, dropping flaps, radio calls, etc) and this seems like a great way to impress them into my brain.

Also ordered a copy of The Killing Zone. Depressing topic, but sounds like it could be a life saver.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

A little forward pressure on the ol' plumbers friend and a litlle 'back' joystick outta redden up another candle

Ha! I wondered if anyone would interpret my high comment correctly. :)

Looks like she's got plenty of right stairstep.

(fifty shoes in a pile would have been great for the obstacle)... but ain't nobody got time for that.

A real nut-cracker, that one.

I trained a while ago so didn't have ForeFlight, but DID have a handheld GPS. I'd fire it up and throw it in the back seat (out of sight, out of mind, no distraction) and then debrief my tracks at home. I'm just now back to flying and a little overwhelmed by the tools out there now. CloudAhoy is awesome for debriefing and can import tracks from a lot of places, including my ancient Garmin handheld.

Where can I learn what foreflight and the other big one actually do? What is the functionality!
At Galt next Saturday. Wx-permitting, I'm flying in: https://eaa932.org/event/foreflight/

I've been using Avare and FltPlan go, and they are both Android and free. And work with X-Plane simulator. Otherwise I would check out videos on YouTube. Haven't used ForeFlight, but I'm tempted, which is why I want to go to that seminar. I don't have an iPad or I would just try it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Also when you chair fly, do each maneuver stating the ACS/PTS tolerances and quoting the airplane flying handbook. That will get you up to speed for any practical exams

X-Plane 11. Let's me chair-fly and somewhat behaves like the real thing.

Hang around this board... seriously.

As long as you ask aviation related questions you should get some good info. You might get bad info, too, so pay attention. You'll learn something.

Good catch I don't see the Duck. Must be Partial Panel practice:)
Actually someone pointed out I had missed the duck between her feet.
In my defense is I was expecting a TSO compliant Duck.:)

Brian

That image is hilarious! :D:D

I ordered something from Sporty's and they sent me a C-172 panel poster as a gift. I would open it up on the bed, tune my smartphone to LiveATC, had the checklist handy, open the sectional and chairfly the entire route for my xc. It really does wonders.
(But don't let your hubby walk in on you and hear you do engine sounds with your mouth :D)

I made these for my chair flying. Works well for me.

Attachments

• IMG_7031.JPG
    IMG_7031.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6162.JPG
    IMG_6162.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Evektor Harmony.JPG
    Evektor Harmony.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 25
Just a suggestion.... You've obviously been around the airport for a while now. Have you made any new friends? Do any of those new friends own small planes?

There's always exceptions to the rule, but In general, pilots tend to be very generous people, especially towards other pilots. It has something to do with the common sickness we share.

Letting them know you're open to an occasional ride here and there, and that you're willing to buy some gas, can go a long way, both for now, and in the future. It'll also give you a chance to see how more experienced pilots handle some of the stuff you're now starting to pack into your brain.

I got good recommendation for learning here in the forum:
1) use a trainig app to refresh theoretical knowledge, this is a nice one with explaining pictures: http://www.flygo-aviation.com/aviation-apps/trainer-apps/ppl-exam-and-study/
2) use flight sim then your brain memorizes the cockpit instruments, and the traffic pattern as well, because in the beginning all seems to be too much :)
https://www.oldpcgaming.net/microsoft-flight-simulator-2004-review/ I still use the old classic one, as many pilots do.
3) yes, youtube! tere are soo many videos, explaining the theory.

Hello all. I'm an A320 Captain, and I have a smartphone app that might be of interest to new pilots. It's called Rate My Landing and it's available on Google Play and the iTunes Store. I'd provide a link here, but I need 5 posts first. Anyway, my app includes some introductory tutorials on how to fly an ILS, and the advanced levels include low ceilings and crosswinds. I"ve tried to make the app as realistic as possible by providing instrumentation that approximates a real Primary Flight Display and some fun gameplay. Take a look, and visit the Facebook page, Rate My Landing.

I've been with a major airline for almost 26 years, and was a Marine fighter pilot before that, flying the F-4 Phantom and the F/A-18 Hornet. I'm happy to answer any questions from new or aspiring pilots, and from old hands alike.

That image is hilarious! :D:D
I ordered somethingwe either upgraded or train from Sporty's and tidy when they sent me a C-172 panel poster as a gift. I would open it up on the bed, tune my smartphone to LiveATC, had the checklist handy, open the sectional and chairfly the entire route for my xc. It really does wonders.
(But don't let your hubby walk in on you and hear you do engine sounds with your mouth :D)

Airline I flew at gave us cockpit posters to use for studying when training on a plane or a new airplane. Really does help to get checklists and flows down.

Back