Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse

But you might if you were young enough to be in this generation right?
Admittedly, not being part of that generation, it is hard to honestly say.

But, I do believe that upbringing has more impact than generational. I’m a Gen Xer. I was taught to not draw attention to myself. Sometimes I had to learn the hard way.

But there are plenty of Gen Xers who had they been able to post their exploits on YouTube, Twitter, Instagram...etc, would have done it non-stop.

And there are plenty of Millennials and younger who don’t seek that kind of internet fame.

I don’t really think posting one YouTube video of literally billions is particularly drawing attention to yourself or seeking internet fame (and even if they are, so what?). There is an audience for all sorts of things out there. These kids aren't being particularly vapid or anything, just creating content of something they enjoy and sharing it for others who may enjoy it as well. How is this any different than watching sports or golf or anything?

We literally have a thread in Flight Following about a new YT aviation channel. It is great that new aviation content is being created, both virtual and real.

I'm not saying people should find it interesting. If you find it boring, that's perfectly understandable, but lets not go around making fun of them and saying they need to get a life for sharing their hobby and partaking in aviation in the way they want to (or potentially the only way they can financially).

Admittedly, not being part of that generation, it is hard to honestly say.

But, I do believe that upbringing has more impact than generational. I’m a Gen Xer. I was taught to not draw attention to myself. Sometimes I had to learn the hard way.

But there are plenty of Gen Xers who had they been able to post their exploits on YouTube, Twitter, Instagram...etc, would have done it non-stop.

And there are plenty of Millennials and younger who don’t seek that kind of internet fame.
Exactly. I don't think it's generational. Older people did not have an avenue to garner a large audience when they were young. Some would have done so if the technology had been available.

I don’t really think posting one YouTube video of literally billions is particularly drawing attention to yourself or seeking internet fame (and even if they are, so what?). There is an audience for all sorts of things out there. These kids aren't being particularly vapid or anything, just creating content of something they enjoy and sharing it for others who may enjoy it as well. How is this any different than watching sports or golf or anything?

We literally have a thread in Flight Following about a new YT aviation channel. It is great that new aviation content is being created, both virtual and real.

I'm not saying people should find it interesting. If you find it boring, that's perfectly understandable, but lets not go around making fun of them and saying they need to get a life for sharing their hobby and partaking in aviation in the way they want to (or potentially the only way they can financially).
I agree. Some of the YouTube content out there is just plain ridiculous and some out right disgusting. Not just YT, but that goes for the internet in general (just like the billion channels of TV we now have).
However, there's a ton of entertaining as well as educational material that I find very rewarding to watch. In fact, I've learned a heck of a lot about this hobby from YT videos, which did not exist when I started. For instance, the excellent videos on how to setup basic and complex missions in the Mission Editor, using triggers and various logic codes that are included with the program.

There are also at least two real world Hornet pilots who have posted some excellent videos of themselves flying the DCS: F/A-18C, explaining real flying procedures, as well as critiquing the sim's flight model for the developers. Imagine that....Real Hornet pilots filming themselves playing a computer game/"High Fidelity Study sim". Oh my lord:eek::D

Lex is "Da Man"! Teaching me all kinds of things I'd have no clue of, including Case-1 procedures, Ball flying, etc.

Last edited:
I, for one, am tickled to see anybody show some enthusiasm for aviation, in whatever form.

The reality is that the overwhelming majority of people out there will never have the privilege (that many of us have) of flying aircraft, never to mention piloting a jet-powered aircraft of any kind. So, something like this is a fun diversion for them, and a whole lot better than so many other things they could be doing.

I have a friend who was a very active pilot, flew his own T-210, but got out of flying when his medical issues overcame his ability to get a Special Issuance; so, now, he flies detailed simulated jet warbirds, with an F-16 cockpit set up that is simply amazing. He often flies in virtual squadrons, on virtual missions, with other participants from around the world. He enjoys it, it keeps him engaged, and he provides a lot of good counsel to youth within the flight simulation community who may, someday, become pilots in the real world themselves (my friend was a CFI).

Not for me, now, but who can say what I would want to do if I lost my ability to fly as my friend has?

I, for one, am tickled to see anybody show some enthusiasm for aviation, in whatever form.

The reality is that the overwhelming majority of people out there will never have the privilege (that many of us have) of flying aircraft, never to mention piloting a jet-powered aircraft of any kind. So, something like this is a fun diversion for them, and a whole lot better than so many other things they could be doing.

I have a friend who was a very active pilot, flew his own T-210, but got out of flying when his medical issues overcame his ability to get a Special Issuance; so, now, he flies detailed simulated jet warbirds, with an F-16 cockpit set up that is simply amazing. He often flies in virtual squadrons, on virtual missions, with other participants from around the world. He enjoys it, it keeps him engaged, and he provides a lot of good counsel to youth within the flight simulation community who may, someday, become pilots in the real world themselves (my friend was a CFI).

Not for me, now, but who can say what I would want to do if I lost my ability to fly as my friend has?
I'd love to do virtual squadron stuff, just never had enough time to dedicate to the Multiplayer aspect of it. Like my real flying, my virtual flying has always been pretty much solo. Perhaps when I retire in a couple of years, I'll finally have time to get into something like that.

I'd love to do virtual squadron stuff, just never had enough time to dedicate to the Multiplayer aspect of it. Like my real flying, my virtual flying has always been pretty much solo. Perhaps when I retire in a couple of years, I'll finally have time to get into something like that.

...hope I can get up to NYC and make your acquaintance before you retire - maybe bamboozle you into a behind-the-curtain tour of one of NYC's airports. I bet you have stories to tell, I surely do!

...hope I can get up to NYC and make your acquaintance before you retire - maybe bamboozle you into a behind-the-curtain tour of one of NYC's airports. I bet you have stories to tell, I surely do!
I "might" be able to arrange a behind-the-curtain tour through one of my co-workers at EWR, LGA or JFK. I will look into the specifics and see if it's doable (security wise). Back when I was at EWR and LGA, it was not much of an issue to bring a friend or family member onto the airfield in our maintenance trucks, as long as we kept a tight leash on them, lol. I sure miss working on the airfield lighting and signage. Met some great pilots, both military and civilian.
Hey, but if isn't doable, I'd be glad to show you the ventilation towers, fans and high voltage equipment of the World's first mechanically ventilated vehicular tunnel. The Holland Tunnel is an engineering marvel! We operate 84 fans that provide a complete change of air in the tubes (North and South), every 90 seconds.

I'd be proud to be a virtual passenger on one of their virtual flights anytime. At least they aren't smoking dope and getting STDs.

A ‘two man crew’ plays a desktop simulator.

If anyone can stomach watching the entire 2hr+ video, I’ll give them a cookie and virtual high five.

......and people tell ME to get a life! :mad2:

I can think of a lot worse things you see young people doing with themselves.

I "might" be able to arrange a behind-the-curtain tour through one of my co-workers at EWR, LGA or JFK. I will look into the specifics and see if it's doable (security wise). Back when I was at EWR and LGA, it was not much of an issue to bring a friend or family member onto the airfield in our maintenance trucks, as long as we kept a tight leash on them, lol. I sure miss working on the airfield lighting and signage. Met some great pilots, both military and civilian.
Hey, but if isn't doable, I'd be glad to show you the ventilation towers, fans and high voltage equipment of the World's first mechanically ventilated vehicular tunnel. The Holland Tunnel is an engineering marvel! We operate 84 fans that provide a complete change of air in the tubes (North and South), every 90 seconds.

Y'know what?

That Holland Tunnel gig might be more appealing, and not just because it sounds cool.

My dad told the story - many times - of his dad ( a naval engineer) taking him to see the tunnel as it was being built, and to the grand opening in 1927 (he was ten years old). He and his father walked through the length of the tunnel.

Gosh, I'm old.

My dad and I talked about visiting NYC together to visit some of the sites of his youth (he grew up in Queens), but it never happened.

Y'know what?

That Holland Tunnel gig might be more appealing, and not just because it sounds cool.

My dad told the story - many times - of his dad ( a naval engineer) taking him to see the tunnel as it was being built, and to the grand opening in 1927 (he was ten years old). He and his father walked through the length of the tunnel.

Gosh, I'm old.

My dad and I talked about visiting NYC together to visit some of the sites of his youth (he grew up in Queens), but it never happened.

Seriously, I heard opening day was a major event. Check out these pictures. The traffic jam on opening day looks like what we have now..LOL (no kidding).

That's cool that they were able to walk through the length of the tunnel, because that is something very few people were able to do! (I've never done it either). The idea of allowing the public to walk through was quickly squashed by the officials, probably due to safety concerns. I read an article once, that mentioned the idea of allowing people to walk through, via the catwalk. The catwalk is no longer manned by PAPD like in that picture. However, It is still used by them and other emergency responders, as well as maintenance personnel.
Our 13KV 3-phase electrical cables (supplied by Con-Ed and PSE&G), travel the length of the tunnel underneath the catwalk and into the ventilation towers. At each location, we have step-down transformers which steps the 13KV down to 480V for the 3-phase fan motors, 277 for tunnel lighting and 120/208 for everything else.

There are four ventilation towers (two on each side of the Hudson river). Two of them are on piers (New York River bldg and New Jersey River bldg). The other two are called the New Jersey Land building and the New York Land building. The two 'Land' buildings have 24 vent fans each, and the two 'River' buildings have 18, for a total of 84 Fans. Located on different floors in each building. In the winter, it is actually colder inside the Vent Buildings, (due to all of that fresh air rushing in) than it is outside!

But yeah I have at least two more years before I retire, so if you make it up to the Big Apple, let me know in advance and we can set it up. No problem.

http://tribecatrib.com/content/story-brilliant-engineering-man-named-holland

Attachments

• HT.jpg
    HT.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Holland-Vehicular-Tunnel.jpg
    Holland-Vehicular-Tunnel.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Compressed-Airs-Greatest-Triumph-Popular-Science-Monthly-1928.jpg
    Compressed-Airs-Greatest-Triumph-Popular-Science-Monthly-1928.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 28
  • Tunnel_traffic jam.jpg
    Tunnel_traffic jam.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I flew commercial into LGA and stayed in Manhattan for a week back in July. I would've loved to tour either of those.

A good one has been out a few years already...just requires 6 channels. ;)
Just 3 here ;) Low-level over the Cajon Pass, no motor(s) required.
xku3ko.jpg

BTW I have worked on the real BuNo 159567 but it was painted a little different ;)

Nauga,
rhymes with orange

Last edited:
Just 3 here ;) Low-level over the Cajon Pass, no motor(s) required.
xku3ko.jpg

BTW I have worked on the real BuNo 159567 but it was painted a little different ;)

Nauga,
rhymes with orange

I gave a few PARs to A-6s before they retired. One was as depicted “ATTIC” in 92-93 and a PAX River “Salty Dog” a short time later.

Never understood why men would walk around with another man's name on their back. Do they wish they were that person, or do they wish people to think they are that person?
It's because they support that person. I don't think I've ever spent any money on team paraphernalia (not into drugs ):redface:

I did VATSIM briefly, years ago (pilot, not ATC). Never a virtual airline per se, but I did enjoy the Level-D 767! Flight simulation has been a favorite hobby of mine for over three decades (since my teen years). My current obsession is the recently released DCS F/A-18C (early access) in VR.
Such an incredible work of art sitting in the virtual cockpit of the Hornet!

Just about have the startup procedure memorized, now I'm trying to rap my head around Case-1 recoveries aboard the Stennis CVN-74, Aerial refueling with my wingman on the KC-130, which is an absolute blast, especially in VR! I have a complete HOTAS setup with rudder pedals and I'm using a neat little program called Voice Attack to give verbal commands to ground crew, wingmen, the limited ATC in the game, as well as comms with the tanker. It works incredibly well. No need to peek underneath the Oculus Rift to hunt for the keyboard to bring up a menu for comms. I might post a video showing this feature in action.

Haven't even attempted weapons deployment yet, having too much fun just learning to fly this thing.
This is the most detailed and the most challenging flight simulator model that I've ever tried. I'm hooked.:D

https://stormbirds.blog/2018/06/21/first-impressions-of-the-dcs-f-a-18c-hornet/

Referencing your last sentence...
My daughter (who has flown with me several times in GA, as well as travelled on the airlines) once commented on how flying is a passion for me, but to her it's just a means of transportation. Haha
I have a family member who mastered the A-10 DCS and has now moved on to the F-18. He spent a large portion of our summer vacation quizzing me on CV ops. I was amazed at how much he knew, he even had me googling a few things because I couldn’t trust my memory. He even politely corrected me on something I had mixed up in my head. The DCS sim is pretty awesome.

I agree. Some of the YouTube content out there is just plain ridiculous and some out right disgusting. Not just YT, but that goes for the internet in general (just like the billion channels of TV we now have).
However, there's a ton of entertaining as well as educational material that I find very rewarding to watch. In fact, I've learned a heck of a lot about this hobby from YT videos, which did not exist when I started. For instance, the excellent videos on how to setup basic and complex missions in the Mission Editor, using triggers and various logic codes that are included with the program.

There are also at least two real world Hornet pilots who have posted some excellent videos of themselves flying the DCS: F/A-18C, explaining real flying procedures, as well as critiquing the sim's flight model for the developers. Imagine that....Real Hornet pilots filming themselves playing a computer game/"High Fidelity Study sim". Oh my lord:eek::D

Lex is "Da Man"! Teaching me all kinds of things I'd have no clue of, including Case-1 procedures, Ball flying, etc.
I got about five minutes into the video and he’s just a little off on the AOA stuff. You don’t fly on-speed because of the hook’s AoA, you fly it for two other reasons. One is that that is the speed/weight that the arresting gear is set for, and second is because it guarantees a proper hook-to-eye distance. When your AOA changes, the vertical distance between the hook point and the pilots eye changes. The meatball is set to account for that distance, if you change it by being slow or fast, you aren’t going to see a proper indication of glideslope on the lens. And as he says, being fast OR flat at the ramp can result in a bolter even though you touch down in the wires.
There are some other things that can cause the pilot to see a faulty indication of glideslope, but I doubt the sim models them. The rest of the video on the approach turn was pretty good.

Last edited:
I got about five minutes into the video and he’s just a little off on the AOA stuff. You don’t fly on-speed because of the hook’s AoA, you fly it for two other reasons. One is that that is the speed/weight that the arresting gear is set for, and second is because it guarantees a proper hook-to-eye distance. When your AOA changes, the vertical distance between the hook point and the pilots eye changes. The meatball is set to account for that distance, if you change it by being slow or fast, you aren’t going to see a proper indication of glideslope on the lens. And as he says, being fast OR flat at the ramp can result in a bolter even though you touch down in the wires.
There are some other things that can cause the pilot to see a faulty indication of glideslope, but I doubt the sim models them. The rest of the video on the approach turn was pretty good.
Awesome stuff!

The sim has a ways to go, but it is truly incredible as far as a PC flightsim! The best I've used in my 30 plus years of the hobby. It is currently still in 'early access' /beta as they work out the remaining bugs. The current gen VR gear makes it difficult to practice Ball Flying. Maybe that will be rectified when the next gen HMDs are out.

Thanks for your insight. How long did you fly the Hornet?

I have a family member who mastered the A-10 DCS and has now moved on to the F-18. He spent a large portion of our summer vacation quizzing me on CV ops. I was amazed at how much he knew, he even had me googling a few things because I couldn’t trust my memory. He even politely corrected me on something I had mixed up in my head. The DCS sim is pretty awesome.
INDEED it is! I've had it from the day it was released, although I can't say that I've mastered it. Just don't have the time to dedicate, but I do enjoy it from time to time.

It is the second flightsim model that caused me to spend big bucks on a dedicated HOTAS. The Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog (I have it mounted to my seat). The first, was Falcon 3.0/ 4.0 and the Thrustmaster Cougar.

https://www.quora.com/How-realistic-is-the-flight-simulation-DCS-A-10C-Warthog

Back