I HATE New England weather

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
So I did a fuel run down to 2B3 today. Conditions were pretty good VFR on the way down, with scattered to broken at about 3500 MSL, but on the way back the clouds started to form a solid deck and lowered, and I felt I was going to be forced to scud run to get back VFR, so I called up Boston Center and asked for a pop-up IFR, the first time I've ever done that. Slight delay, but no questions about whether I was rated or qualified, and I was soon cleared to KMPV "via maintain own terrain and obstruction clearance", up to 5400, was offered and accepted the MPV VOR transition for the RNAV 17, and was soon in actual for the first time in nearly a year. The clouds were not too thick but thick enough, and no fear of icing, no sign of precip or convection nearby. Good, I thought. I'll at least get a loggable approach out of this.

ATC cleared me to 6000 along the transition route between MPV and REGGI and cleared me for the approach. I was soon above all but the highest tops, and enjoyed the ride. But by the time I was north of the field, the clouds started getting more scattered, and I had wide views of the ground and even the Worcester Range. I debated just canceling and diving through one of the huge holes, but decided to just fly the approach anyway. It looked like I would probably have some actual along the FAS, so maybe it would be loggable. I crossed REGGI, flew the HILPT, and started inbound.

No such luck... south of JIPDO on the way inbound, the clouds got even more scattered and I realized the bases were well above the intercept altitude. I debated intercepting the GS higher up so that I could log it, but realized that I wouldn't be getting any real practice in anyway. So I called up Center and canceled IFR.

Then, 20 minutes after I landed, the field went MVFR with OVC024, as the lower clouds moved in from the south. Driving home, I could not see the tops of the Worcester Range. If I'd been only a half hour later I could probably have flown enough of the approach to log it, though it wouldn't have been great proficiency practice.

This is what Vermont weather is like... it's either just low enough that I'm afraid to go VFR or too low even to go IFR, but almost never just low enough for shooting approaches. The only exception recently was a couple of weeks ago when we had 3 days straight of flyable IMC... but I needed 3 more approaches with a safety pilot to regain my currency, so I was grounded. :(

For backcountry it’s nice up north, as in above the blue line

Also why would ATC ask you if you were IFR qualified?
Do they ask you if you have a pilots license when you ask for VFR flight following?

Our fickle summer spring-fall weather in the NE is what drove me to the IR after 4 years as VFR pilot. One summer it rained every weekend from Memorial day to Labor Day with scuddy weather to match. The next year I had an IR in my pocket. This summer has been very weird, much like that one, with an unusually amplified jet stream and cutoff lows that look in some ways more like late spring weather than summer patterns. Mostly benign stuff for IFR but very restrictive for VFR.

That was this am was in nepa. Low overcast. Would be easy to pop up over and be in clean air on the way to somplace nicer. Hoping to get same low layer tomorrow am- long XC planned with CFI and love to get some more IMC in!
Can get into that funky pattern of MVFR weather a lot here.

Do they ask you if you have a pilots license when you ask for VFR flight following?
I've heard that they frequently ask that question when someone asks for a pop-up. Didn't happen this time though, as I thought I said.

It was explained that the purpose of asking was to root out VFR-only pilots in trouble due to lowering weather. If you say no, they declare an emergency for you and give you priority handling.

Don't get me wrong, the weather here is such that the IR is really useful and I've made a number of short trips that would have been impossible or unsafe VFR. It's just that to go shooting approaches, you need a "sweet spot" where the weather is low, but not below minimums. That kind of weather was common in Michigan - so common that I was able to maintain both proficiency and currency for the year and a half I had my rating there without once asking someone to safety pilot for me. Here in Vermont it is very, very rare. I imagine it is much more common near the coast, but that's a little far to fly to shoot approaches. Maybe I should be thinking more along those lines though.

For backcountry it’s nice up north, as in above the blue line

Depends on the situation. If a VFR pilot requests radar assistance and is or about to encounter IFR conditions, they’re required to ask the pilot if qualified and capable of conducting IFR. If a pilot just calls out of the blue for IFR as in the OP’s case, no question is required.

2B3 is a nice area. Been there many times when I was a kid. Maybe 5-6 miles south of my old house.

Interesting factoid about that area of the country:

Mrs SkyDog, our pup, and I are in Hanover NH today.

Depends on the situation. If a VFR pilot requests radar assistance and is or about to encounter IFR conditions, they’re required to ask the pilot if qualified and capable of conducting IFR. If a pilot just calls out of the blue for IFR as in the OP’s case, no question is required.
Well, except that I specifically said I was about to start having trouble maintaining VFR, so I was a bit surprised the question wasn't posed.

2B3 is a nice area. Been there many times when I was a kid. Maybe 5-6 miles south of my old house.
Definitely my favorite airport in New England. Picturesque setting, very friendly people, the terminal is a hangout for local pilots. Reminds me of 57D back home in Michigan.

Yeah, I'm in the Lakes region, NH today, but not flying. It's been pretty variable all day, when the clouds roll through they look pretty low, but at least it isn't raining.

As a fellow New England pilot this has been a rough stretch for sure. This whole year has forced me to stretch flyable days as the perfect clear and a million days are becoming less and less.

Well, except that I specifically said I was about to start having trouble maintaining VFR, so I was a bit surprised the question wasn't posed.

He probably remembered you from before. There’s what, 2 or 3 female IFR pilots in all of NH maybe??? :)

One thing about New England weather , if you fly regularly you’ll have no trouble staying IFR current. Be careful of icing in the clouds.

One thing about New England weather , if you fly regularly you’ll have no trouble staying IFR current. Be careful of icing in the clouds.
No, actually, that's not true. Not in Vermont anyway. When conditions are IFR here during spring-summer-fall, they are usually 0/0 and thus unflyable. IFR without LIFR or VLIFR is more common in the winter months, but then there is the icing issue.

As I wrote above, I had a MUCH easier time staying IFR current in (southeast) Michigan. Even during the winter, there were frequent thaws with above freezing temps up to at least 4 kft when I could do solo currency runs in the clag. Though those thaws exist here too, they are less frequent, and even when they happen, 4000 is not high enough to shoot an approach back into home base (KMPV).

I realize it is different at the coastal and southern New England airports and I could probably do currency runs out there at times when it's VFR back at home. But that's a fairly long way to fly for that purpose, at least compared with what I did in Michigan, doing round robins to local airports.

Don't you have someone that can play safety pilot for you while you shoot some approaches?

Don't you have someone that can play safety pilot for you while you shoot some approaches?
Yes, but coordinating work schedules is a pain. Between plane troubles and time constraints, it took all summer to get it done for me this time. And let's face it, most hoods (including foggles) just don't compare to the real thing. The only hood I've used that comes close is the Francis hood, and that has its own downside. I much prefer currency runs in actual.

So I did a fuel run down to 2B3 today. Conditions were pretty good VFR on the way down, with scattered to broken at about 3500 MSL, but on the way back the clouds started to form a solid deck and lowered, and I felt I was going to be forced to scud run to get back VFR, so I called up Boston Center and asked for a pop-up IFR, the first time I've ever done that. Slight delay, but no questions about whether I was rated or qualified, and I was soon cleared to KMPV "via maintain own terrain and obstruction clearance", up to 5400, was offered and accepted the MPV VOR transition for the RNAV 17, and was soon in actual for the first time in nearly a year. The clouds were not too thick but thick enough, and no fear of icing, no sign of precip or convection nearby. Good, I thought. I'll at least get a loggable approach out of this.

ATC cleared me to 6000 along the transition route between MPV and REGGI and cleared me for the approach. I was soon above all but the highest tops, and enjoyed the ride. But by the time I was north of the field, the clouds started getting more scattered, and I had wide views of the ground and even the Worcester Range. I debated just canceling and diving through one of the huge holes, but decided to just fly the approach anyway. It looked like I would probably have some actual along the FAS, so maybe it would be loggable. I crossed REGGI, flew the HILPT, and started inbound.

No such luck... south of JIPDO on the way inbound, the clouds got even more scattered and I realized the bases were well above the intercept altitude. I debated intercepting the GS higher up so that I could log it, but realized that I wouldn't be getting any real practice in anyway. So I called up Center and canceled IFR.

Then, 20 minutes after I landed, the field went MVFR with OVC024, as the lower clouds moved in from the south. Driving home, I could not see the tops of the Worcester Range. If I'd been only a half hour later I could probably have flown enough of the approach to log it, though it wouldn't have been great proficiency practice.

This is what Vermont weather is like... it's either just low enough that I'm afraid to go VFR or too low even to go IFR, but almost never just low enough for shooting approaches. The only exception recently was a couple of weeks ago when we had 3 days straight of flyable IMC... but I needed 3 more approaches with a safety pilot to regain my currency, so I was grounded. :(
After getting my IR a little over a month ago, my girlfriend and I left for a trip from Michigan to Maine. On the way, it was IFR, and I flew my "first ever actual approach" into Lebanon's ILS 18...clouds were solid from about 4000 feet MSL, right down to about 800 feet AGL (which sounds like the weather you were looking for)...lol. So if you ask me, with my sample of 1, I'd say your weather is perfect!

After getting my IR a little over a month ago, my girlfriend and I left for a trip from Michigan to Maine. On the way, it was IFR, and I flew my "first ever actual approach" into Lebanon's ILS 18...clouds were solid from about 4000 feet MSL, right down to about 800 feet AGL (which sounds like the weather you were looking for)...lol. So if you ask me, with my sample of 1, I'd say your weather is perfect!
Yup, we had a good handful of days like that this summer. It's very unusual though, first time since I moved here that it's been like this. As luck would have it, I've been out of currency all summer until about a week ago, so it didn't help me at all. Glad you had the experience here though, I hope it was a confidence-builder! :thumbsup:

Yup, we had a good handful of days like that this summer. It's very unusual though, first time since I moved here that it's been like this. As luck would have it, I've been out of currency all summer until about a week ago, so it didn't help me at all. Glad you had the experience here though, I hope it was a confidence-builder! :thumbsup:
It was a confidence builder, but also it was a bit of a shock: We left the flat-land western New York, climbed above the clouds, and didn't see ground until breaking out a Lebanon...all those hills surprised me! I expected some rolling terrain looking at the VFR chart, but not quite that much.

This has been a great summer to train for ir here don't have my log book handy but at least 10 hours actual and 5 or more approaches in imc.

Yes, but coordinating work schedules is a pain. Between plane troubles and time constraints, it took all summer to get it done for me this time. And let's face it, most hoods (including foggles) just don't compare to the real thing. The only hood I've used that comes close is the Francis hood, and that has its own downside. I much prefer currency runs in actual.

Well, if you feel like making the trek down to CON, I'd be more than happy to play safety pilot for you. I have a somewhat unpredictable schedule, but normally have at least a few days notice to any schedule changes.

Well, if you feel like making the trek down to CON, I'd be more than happy to play safety pilot for you. I have a somewhat unpredictable schedule, but normally have at least a few days notice to any schedule changes.
Thanks for the offer! I think, though, that if I'm going to fly that far for currency, it's more likely going to be when conditions are IFR on the coast side of the mountains. Come to think of it, I did fly a couple of approaches at CON a few summers ago on a day like that... but I recall that by the time I got there, conditions were fast "deteriorating" to VFR.

It was a confidence builder, but also it was a bit of a shock: We left the flat-land western New York, climbed above the clouds, and didn't see ground until breaking out a Lebanon...all those hills surprised me! I expected some rolling terrain looking at the VFR chart, but not quite that much.
Yup. And even higher "hills" farther east in NH, and none of it would have been very friendly to a forced landing in case of an engine out. ;) Not just the mountains, but lots and lots of trees everywhere with only the occasional farm. In that way, it's a lot like northern lower MI. Just something we have to get used to flying out here, or else buy a twin.

Back