Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
A ‘two man crew’ plays a desktop simulator.

If anyone can stomach watching the entire 2hr+ video, I’ll give them a cookie and virtual high five.

......and people tell ME to get a life! :mad2:

Oh it’s worse than that. I’m told people operate entire virtual airlines...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you considered that air guitars have been around for quite some time?

And then they will be hired by the airlines as baggage handlers AND they will know how to fly the plane!

If anyone can stomach watching the entire 2hr+ video, I’ll give them a cookie and virtual high five.

You ain’t gettin off that easy. Listen to it yourself:ihih: You do realize they just may be up front flying someday while your in the back with the Dogs and cats

Jeez listen to you guys. I bet most of all of us have hobbies that many would consider insanely boring. VATSIM is a great way to get into aviation (when I was a teen I accrued hundreds if not thousands of hours online, both as a pilot and behind the scope). Let people have their fun even if you wouldn’t think it is. Bet you a bunch of people would think GA is pretty damn boring too.

I’m still trying to figure out the pilot shirt while wearing shorts. I mean, why be halfassed about it? If you’re gonna go all out, f’n go all out!

Oh it’s worse than that. I’m told people operate entire virtual airlines...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. There's a big one out there. Can't remember the name of it.

Jeez listen to you guys. I bet most of all of us have hobbies that many would consider insanely boring. VATSIM is a great way to get into aviation (when I was a teen I accrued hundreds if not thousands of hours online, both as a pilot and behind the scope). Let people have their fun even if you wouldn’t think it is. Bet you a bunch of people would think GA is pretty damn boring too.
I did VATSIM briefly, years ago (pilot, not ATC). Never a virtual airline per se, but I did enjoy the Level-D 767! Flight simulation has been a favorite hobby of mine for over three decades (since my teen years). My current obsession is the recently released DCS F/A-18C (early access) in VR.
Such an incredible work of art sitting in the virtual cockpit of the Hornet!

Just about have the startup procedure memorized, now I'm trying to rap my head around Case-1 recoveries aboard the Stennis CVN-74, Aerial refueling with my wingman on the KC-130, which is an absolute blast, especially in VR! I have a complete HOTAS setup with rudder pedals and I'm using a neat little program called Voice Attack to give verbal commands to ground crew, wingmen, the limited ATC in the game, as well as comms with the tanker. It works incredibly well. No need to peek underneath the Oculus Rift to hunt for the keyboard to bring up a menu for comms. I might post a video showing this feature in action.

Haven't even attempted weapons deployment yet, having too much fun just learning to fly this thing.
This is the most detailed and the most challenging flight simulator model that I've ever tried. I'm hooked.:D

https://stormbirds.blog/2018/06/21/first-impressions-of-the-dcs-f-a-18c-hornet/

Referencing your last sentence...
My daughter (who has flown with me several times in GA, as well as travelled on the airlines) once commented on how flying is a passion for me, but to her it's just a means of transportation. Haha

Last edited:
I did VATSIM briefly, years ago (pilot, not ATC). Never a virtual airline per se, but I did enjoy the Level-D 767! Flight simulation has been a favorite hobby of mine for over three decades (since my teen years). My current obsession is the recently released DCS F/A-18C (early access) in VR.
Such an incredible work of art sitting in the virtual cockpit of the Hornet!

Just about have the startup procedure memorized, now I'm trying to rap my head around Case-1 recoveries aboard the Stennis CVN-74, Aerial refueling with my wingman on the KC-130, which is an absolute blast, especially in VR! I have a complete HOTAS setup with rudder pedals and I'm using a neat little program called Voice Attack to give verbal commands to ground crew, wingmen, the limited ATC in the game, as well as comms with the tanker. It works incredibly well. No need to peek underneath the Oculus Rift to hunt for the keyboard to bring up a menu for comms. I might post a video showing this feature in action.

Haven't even attempted weapons deployment yet, having too much fun just learning to fly this thing.
This is the most detailed and the most challenging flight simulator model that I've ever tried. I'm hooked.:D

https://stormbirds.blog/2018/06/21/first-impressions-of-the-dcs-f-a-18c-hornet/

Referencing your last sentence...
My daughter (who has flown with me several times in GA, as well as travelled on the airlines) once commented on how flying is a passion for me, but to her it's just a means of transportation. Haha

Two things:

1)

2)
Top comment:
Heatblur Simulations 1 day ago
F-14 in 2018. Tune in on Oct 7th.

I've been waiting about 20 years for a good A-6 sim. Watching with interest.

Nauga,
with more RAM for the TRAM

I've been waiting about 20 years for a good A-6 sim. Watching with interest.

Nauga,
with more RAM for the TRAM

Right now it's just an AI and model but they announced:

The Intruder is an aircraft that has been under active "development at Heatblur Simulations for some time, and subject to a license agreement, we hope to eventually introduce it into DCS world as a full, playable module - and we are developing it with this intent in mind" -Cobra

The F-14 will have it's Jester AI or another player with you in the same aircraft. Dad and I flew in a simulator like that against other pilots years ago and I just sat in the back screaming as we went through canyons and the hardest approach the guys could give us (night thunderstorm rolling carrier landing). We both plan on getting the F-14 as soon as it comes out for some of the same action. At least I'll be useful this time!

When the A-6 comes out we'll have to buddy up Nauga. Every boat needs an anchor!

Jeez listen to you guys. I bet most of all of us have hobbies that many would consider insanely boring. .

Hell, I’m too old to have had boring hobbies. Wasn’t much for a youngster to do when I was young other than hunt, fish, race karts, model airplanes and chase women etc. Nothing boring about those things:)

Hell, I’m too old to have had boring hobbies. Wasn’t much for a youngster to do when I was young other than hunt, fish, race karts, model airplanes and chase women etc. Nothing boring about those things:)

I can’t think of anything more boring than fishing but if you enjoy it that’s great! I’m not going to mock you for your hobby even if I personally would rather watch paint dry.

Fishing is actually a ton of fun IF you know what your doing and you know where to fish. I used to fish on the Verde River all the time and you would catch bass all day long.

I'll play flight sim from time to time, but I'll do stuff I can't do in real life, like fly under the golden gate or try to take off 100000 over max takeoff weight, or crash into another airplane.

I can’t think of anything more boring than fishing but if you enjoy it that’s great! I’m not going to mock you for your hobby even if I personally would rather watch paint dry.

Wow, testy are we. It was not meant to be a put down. You youngsters have no idea what it was like to have 4 channels on the TV, no computers, no internet, no cell phones etc.
Fun is what was done outside beside a board game inside or building something with your hands. Many also had to work, so that also took up some free time.
It would be one hell of a reality check for many if certain items were no longer available.

Fishing is actually a ton of fun IF you know what your doing and you know where to fish. I used to fish on the Verde River all the time and you would catch bass all day long.

A nice sized bass on a fly rod is a hoot. Especially if you built the rod yourself and tied the fly yourself. But saltwater fly fishing is even better, IMHO.

The pilot shirts are no more lame than AF Predator pilots wearing nomex flight suits.

Wow, testy are we. It was not meant to be a put down. You youngsters have no idea what it was like to have 4 channels on the TV, no computers, no internet, no cell phones etc.
Fun is what was done outside beside a board game inside or building something with your hands. Many also had to work, so that also took up some free time.
It would be one hell of a reality check for many if certain items were no longer available.

I just find it annoying how the old crowd in aviation will find anything to put down the younger generations (and then complain that youth are for some reason not attracted to aviation :rolleyes:). We as a community should be encouraging any interest in aviation, be it virtual or not.

I was also demonstrating that that there’s no accounting for human interest, so we shouldn’t mock others for their interests. Believe it or not, my statement that it is great you are interested in fishing was sincere. I’m glad you have hobbies that bring you joy, even if I or others may find them boring. Clearly doing this brought some happiness to these kids, so let them enjoy aviation in their way.

Last edited:
I'll play flight sim from time to time, but I'll do stuff I can't do in real life, like fly under the golden gate or try to take off 100000 over max takeoff weight, or crash into another airplane.

Pfft, you're just not trying hard enough brah
proxy

...too soon? :D

I just find it annoying how the old crowd in aviation will find anything to put down the younger generations (and then complain that youth are for some reason not attracted to aviation :rolleyes:). We as a community should be encouraging any interest in aviation, be it virtual or not.

I was also demonstrating that that there’s no accounting for human interest, so we shouldn’t mock others for their interests. Believe it or not, my statement that it is great you are interested in fishing was sincere. I’m glad you have hobbies that being you joy, even if I or others may find them boring. Clearly doing this brought some happiness to these kids, so let them enjoy aviation in their way.

Most all hobbies/interests that motivate are good, today they are a little different than years ago.
By the way I ain’t that old at 55,;) even though I feel older at times.
ANYTHING that will motivate people towards aviation is a good thing in my eyes and I am all for it. As with many things in life I feel aviation makes one a more well rounded person.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with them wanting to play aviation video games in my opinion but wearing airline pilot shirts and epaulets is a little lame.
I sure see a lot of people in bars wearing football jerseys. ;)

Nauga,
who hears a loud 'but that's DIFFERENT'

Two things:

1)

2)
Top comment:
Heatblur Simulations 1 day ago
F-14 in 2018. Tune in on Oct 7th.
Hell yeah!

I've been sleeping when it comes to the Intruder. Had no idea they were developing it. It looks like it going to be a winner.

However, I've been keeping a keen eye on the Tomcat! Heatblur is on the ball with this one. You probably already know this, but they have also hired an incredibly talented musician to do the theme music... Meteor. He did a ten track album that will come included with the F-14, called.. "Defender of the fleet".
I'd never heard of him, but his tracks are hot. After checking him out, I wound up purchasing his entire seven releases (the full digital discography) on Bandcamp.com

Falcon 3.0 and 4.0 had the talented Paul "Moggy" Mog. His music was very good and really enhanced the spirit of the sim.
Heatblur made a great choice for theirs. Fear the bones!

Enjoy it with your dad, that must be great. My son will occasionally fly the sim, but he has no real desire to really get into them like I am.

Development at Eagle Dynamics has been slow over the years, but can you imagine when we have a full deck crew and decent comms? The carriers are just bare and pretty dead at the moment.

Last edited:

I was also demonstrating that that there’s no accounting for human interest, so we shouldn’t mock others for their interests. Believe it or not, my statement that it is great you are interested in fishing was sincere. I’m glad you have hobbies that being you joy, even if I or others may find them boring. Clearly doing this brought some happiness to these kids, so let them enjoy aviation in their way.
I started off with 'Solo Flight', SubLogic ATP, MSFS, Jet, Falcon (Amiga version), Falcon 3.0/4.0, Janes (all of them), X-Plane and numerous other titles. Loved them all.
I was around 16 when I saved up enough to buy my first computer, a Commodore-64. Took me another sixteen years before I even saw a real cockpit, a Cessna 172P.
So I agree, flight simulation is what allowed me to live my dream, which eventually lead me to fulfill that dream and become a private pilot, twenty years ago (I'm 52). Well, actually I wanted to be a fighter pilot, but the military didn't turn out to be in my deck of cards.

I never wore any Captain's hat, pilot shirt and epaulets while simming, but hey, why not :D

I sure see a lot of people in bars wearing football jerseys. ;)

Nauga,
who hears a loud 'but that's DIFFERENT'

Never understood why men would walk around with another man's name on their back. Do they wish they were that person, or do they wish people to think they are that person?

I started off with 'Solo Flight', SubLogic ATP, MSFS, Jet, Falcon (Amiga version), Falcon 3.0/4.0, Janes (all of them), X-Plane and numerous other titles. Loved them all.
I was around 16 when I saved up enough to buy my first computer, a Commodore-64. Took me another sixteen years before I even saw a real cockpit, a Cessna 172P.
So I agree, flight simulation is what allowed me to live my dream, which eventually lead me to fulfill that dream and become a private pilot, twenty years ago (I'm 52). Well, actually I wanted to be a fighter pilot, but the military didn't turn out to be in my deck of cards.

I never wore any Captain's hat, pilot shirt and epaulets while simming, but hey, why not :D

I used to sim a ton when I was a kid and in college, but never would have filmed it and posted it on the internet.

Back