Cessna Cooling and Charging System

Cool idea, not much detail as in electrical specs, not sure I want to plug my $500+ cell phone or Ipad into it though. The cooling aspect will happen regardless by just opening the present vent.

I had an old truck that had a 2/45 interior cooling system.

How does this cool air? In a large opening and out a small one. Turning a generator creates heat, compressing air creates heat. Just taping over the opening in the standard Cessna can vent will do the same thing. Output air velocity goes up, but I don't understand how cooling happens.

Someone had this up on FB, I wasn't impressed. It's just a small generator wind powered.. not a convenient spot to plug stuff in, and I doubt it has any meangful cooling efficacy.

Hard pass

How does this cool air? In a large opening and out a small one. Turning a generator creates heat, compressing air creates heat. Just taping over the opening in the standard Cessna can vent will do the same thing. Output air velocity goes up, but I don't understand how cooling happens.
The Venturi effect can cool the air. Same principle that can cause carb ice on a warm day. Theoretically it should cool the ambient air. They claim 3-5 degrees C cooler in the cabin. I’d have to try it to see if it really made a difference. The USB charger is superfluous as I just use the cig lighter to keep the iPad charged.

The Venturi effect can cool the air. Same principle that can cause carb ice on a warm day.
"twr, bug smasher 123 is experiencing icing on our vent, need to land ASAP"

If it cools the air then where does the heat go?
Yeah I'm not sure the physics on this bake out. In a venturi / carb the air speeds up at the restriction, causing a loss in pressure, causing temperature decrease. Once the air goes out the back of the venturi the conditions "return to normal" so to speak that's why ice tends to form right at the throat and throttle plate, by the constriction, not after it. Where does the heat go in a venturi? Well it gets "used up" so to speak when the air pressure decreases, so the air itself cools down (air in the cylinder gets hot when you compress it and increase the pressure, so it gives off heat energy and feels hotter.. air in the venturi gets cool when there is a pressure drop, so it takes in heat energy and feels cooler). Sort of like the whole endothermic / exothermic reactions

**In this application though, even if they have a venturi on there to cool it down, there is no free lunch, so to speak.. the air either warms back up before it exists the vent as it returns to the normal pressure after the venturi throat, or, if the constricted venturi throat exits right into the cabin you'll have cooler air exiting but there will be less of it.. (lower pressure). I am not convinced.

If it were this easy to cool air then then the whole design of air conditioners would be much cheaper and simpler.. you could just stack a series of venturis one after the other and blow icy cool air out the back (mind you, at its core concept an AC does use expansion / compression of the refrigerant to cool things down, but the fundamentals are different, you are not compressing and expanding the air, but rather using the fluid contained in the system to "remove heat energy" from the house

But is it any quieter than the stock air vent? :eek:

Where exactly they measured the air temperature reduction would be interesting to know.

Back