Well here goes nothing...career change about to begin

FLYGUYRY

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan_M
So today I drop my 2 week notice on a 12 year 6 figure salary career I am no longer happy with and will start flight instructing full time at the end of the month (been doing weekends here and there since I got my CFI in June). It's been quite a ride so far, I've been going full throttle since I started the program back in 2016, since then managed to get a Professional Pilot Associates (already had a BS, but the associates allowed me to get the R-ATP), Private, Instrument, Commercial, CFI, and just last weekend my muli-Commercial add on, all while working full time and somehow managing to stay (mostly) sane. Still have to knock out CFI-I hopefully in the next month or so and MEI right after, but I finally feel as though I can somewhat relax and enjoy the rest of the ride. While I am motivated to get my 1250 to get to the airlines, I'm looking forward to the challenges and fun of flight instructing. I'm hoping that working 6 days a week I'll be able to finish by this time next year and will hopefully start at PSA, where I now have 3 friends, including my mentor.

I feel terrified and excited at the same time, although ever since I put all the pieces together and knew where I would be instructing the fear is starting to fade and turn into excitement.The best part is that I know I have inspired at least two of my friends who work in my current field to move on to something else as well, one of them has already left, and the other's last day is today.

Anyways, I just thought I would share, I know when I was thinking about starting down this path I read quite a bit on the forums and the stories of people making it happen always helped to keep me on the right track and stay inspired. Excited for what the future holds!

One of my mantra’s is, ‘make life happen’ don’t wait for it to happen’.

You know YOU better than we do. With hours(and a fairly clean record) getting started at a ‘regional’ is wide open now. It should remain that way going forward a period.

As long as you have the years ahead of you, go for it. If the school you’re at isn’t fast enough, look elsewhere. One needs a mobile mindset with piloting.

One of my mantra’s is, ‘make life happen’ don’t wait for it to happen’.

You know YOU better than we do. With hours(and a fairly clean record) getting started at a ‘regional’ is wide open now. It should remain that way going forward a period.

As long as you have the years ahead of you, go for it. If the school you’re at isn’t fast enough, look elsewhere. One needs a mobile mindset with piloting.

Absolutely, I've looked around at quite a few different schools and options all over the country, but ultimately decided that for now it's best to stay where I have done all my training. The northeast certainly has its downsides with weather (and cost of living) but most people who are working full time seem to be getting about 80 hours of flight time per month average, being attached to a college certainly helps and there are a LOT of prior military like myself using their GI Bill benefits to train here.

I turn 35 at the end of next month, many would probably say I'm too old, but the way I see it I still have 30 years to do what I love. I'm single with no kids, hell if I can't make it happen who can.

Thanks for the encouragement!

So today I drop my 2 week notice on a 12 year 6 figure salary career I am no longer happy with and will start flight instructing full time at the end of the month (been doing weekends here and there since I got my CFI in June). It's been quite a ride so far, I've been going full throttle since I started the program back in 2016, since then managed to get a Professional Pilot Associates (already had a BS, but the associates allowed me to get the R-ATP), Private, Instrument, Commercial, CFI, and just last weekend my muli-Commercial add on, all while working full time and somehow managing to stay (mostly) sane. Still have to knock out CFI-I hopefully in the next month or so and MEI right after, but I finally feel as though I can somewhat relax and enjoy the rest of the ride. While I am motivated to get my 1250 to get to the airlines, I'm looking forward to the challenges and fun of flight instructing. I'm hoping that working 6 days a week I'll be able to finish by this time next year and will hopefully start at PSA, where I now have 3 friends, including my mentor.

I feel terrified and excited at the same time, although ever since I put all the pieces together and knew where I would be instructing the fear is starting to fade and turn into excitement.The best part is that I know I have inspired at least two of my friends who work in my current field to move on to something else as well, one of them has already left, and the other's last day is today.

Anyways, I just thought I would share, I know when I was thinking about starting down this path I read quite a bit on the forums and the stories of people making it happen always helped to keep me on the right track and stay inspired. Excited for what the future holds!
CONGRATS!!!

Hell yeah! Good time too with all the airline retirements in the next 10-15 years. I got on with a regional at 41 after a career in the Air Force. Good luck!

That’s fantastic. Good luck. I have the same plan. Only thing slowing me down is the amount of money I can save each month!

Where are you based? Free advertising space here!

I turn 35 at the end of next month, many would probably say I'm too old, but the way I see it I still have 30 years to do what I love. I'm single with no kids, hell if I can't make it happen who can.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Haha not even close to too old. Life’s an adventure. I made the change an 46 and fully intend to make it to the majors... congrats, sounds like you’re making all the right moves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have fun in your new job. Here's a good bye for you to your old one.

By the way - to most folks this probably doesn't mean much, but I can tell you it is an inspiration to those of us who have considered or are considering a change of careers (particularly an aviation career).

This is one of my favorite quotes that has brought a lot of inspiration to my life. Thought I would share:

“So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.”

The pain of staying in your current job has to exceed the fear of moving to your new job.

I’ve found life is like dieting. You can try and exercise to lose weight but you can always eat more calories than you can exercise off. A good visit to a bbq place can cancel out running a marathon.

And with life no matter how much money you make, you can always spend more than that. The key to happy living and for that matter dieting, is recognizing you can live within your means and be happier than with more money but with paycheck to paycheck anxiety. Do you want peace of mind or a shiny new car?

So you only live once, you might make less for now, but budget accordingly, and you’ll be better than fine. Nothing to be afraid of.

I’ve found life is like dieting. You can try and exercise to lose weight but you can always eat more calories than you can exercise off. A good visit to a bbq place can cancel out running a marathon.

And with life no matter how much money you make, you can always spend more than that. The key to happy living and for that matter dieting, is recognizing you can live within your means and be happier than with more money but with paycheck to paycheck anxiety. Do you want peace of mind or a shiny new car?

So you only live once, you might make less for now, but budget accordingly, and you’ll be better than fine. Nothing to be afraid of.

So true. My uncle is a well respected orthopedic surgeon in northern California. Makes plenty of money (sure he gets taxed plenty too). Like my granpda, he lives incredibly frugal. You wouldn't know he was a doctor by his house (actually he lives in a small condo now), the car he drives, etc. I can't remember exactly how he phrased it, but I remember him telling me at my wedding rehearsal dinner, "money isn't everything - no amount of money will ever be enough". I suppose this wouldn't apply to you if your the 0.01% of Americans who truly have so much money they don't have to worry about it.

Good luck! Ive thought about it but at 43 with a 1-year old the math doesn't add up for me.

Lol yup, even at 35 w/2yr old and a second one in the works, I can’t justify any significant trade in pay or working hours at this point. Raising kids as a professional pilot (esp airlines) is tough.

Good grief that is old..!!!! Go get the rocking chair while you can still drive..!!! :lol::lol:

I was 38 when I went to Alaska the first time. I turn 60 in April and I will be returning to Alaska.

As someone said above, make life happen, don't wait for it to happen.

Lol yup, even at 35 w/2yr old and a second one in the works, I can’t justify any significant trade in pay or working hours at this point. Raising kids as a professional pilot (esp airlines) is tough.

I have 4 year old twins and parts of it are tough, but I have more free time now as a pilot than I did working 20 days a month in corporate America. All depends on your situation of course...

Good luck to you! I went from a career in which I was very good but that I hated to a career in which I am pretty good and that I love. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Don't worry about the money. Your spending patterns tend to adjust, whether you get a big raise or take a big cut.

I have 4 year old twins and parts of it are tough, but I have more free time now as a pilot than I did working 20 days a month in corporate America. All depends on your situation of course...

I should probably keep my mouth shut, but I've heard this same sentiment from a lot of pilots. My previous flight instructor started his flying career with two little ones. I think he has a third now. He is a captain at a regional now (he upgraded in less than 2 years). I had about an hour phone conversation with him about his career (he worked in finance previously), family life, etc. He really loves it and when he is home is home. I think the reality is that you get more quality time with family in the long run than you ever would with any 9-5. Short term there is certainly some sacrifices, but they all seem very workable to me.

I've been listening to the Aviation Careers podcast, which I absolutely love. It has been the most insightful advice I have heard about the various aviation careers.

Congrats, and good for you!

I'm in the initial phases of a job search myself, but I'll be moving from an IT job to another IT job. I wish I'd discovered aviation earlier in my life, as I might have gone down that route instead. But as I'm 52 and there is zero chance I could make as much in aviation as in IT at this point, and I need as much as possible to feather my nest for retirement, the numbers don't line up for me either. But I'm content to enjoy it as a personal pursuit.

Have fun, and congrats!

I'm super jealous. Too busy at work to think about much else but one of these days I'm going to try and do the same as you. GOOD LUCK!!!

Right, I wasn’t implying that it wasn’t doable, it can be difficult depending on personal situation. There’s a reason that professional pilots tend to have higher divorce rates than the general populace. It doesn’t mean it can’t work, just that it takes a certain type of couple to make it work.

I turn 35 at the end of next month, many would probably say I'm too old, but the way I see it I still have 30 years to do what I love.

Hopefully, you have more like 55 years to do what you love. You might do it a little more slowly, that's all.

Not too old at all man. Good luck, and have fun!

Good luck to you. This is a great time for aspiring pilots. It will never be easy. Don’t be a jerk because the guy you make mad today will be the one interviewing you tomorrow.
I was married with three sons and we went from instructing job to instructing (mainly small towns) to some charters and then through a high school friend came the opportunity to hire on at a commuter (Metro Airlines that eventually became Eagle). I left there and went to Conoco Oil Flying a G1. I am not a corporate pilot. My wife wasn’t happy nor was I so we borrowed $10K, lost my job and bought a DC9 type rating. This was the early 80’s when no one was hiring. An EXTREME gamble. It paid off but the rest of the story would require so many words that the limit would be exceeded. A short note, I called an interviewer a scum bag during my Midway interview and still was hired...he was a Redskin fan and I am a Cowboy fan. Hired at UPS the first year of their operations and retired early in February. Airline pay is so independent based upon each carrier so the amount per hour is almost meaningless. My dear friend was at UAL and his hourly rate was about the same as mine but I made almost $75000 more year.
Set your goals, don’t be deterred and as Dave Ramsey says....live like no one else so you can live like no one else. The job is tiring, frustrating and the best job in the world. Good luck.

Right, I wasn’t implying that it wasn’t doable, it can be difficult depending on personal situation. There’s a reason that professional pilots tend to have higher divorce rates than the general populace. It doesn’t mean it can’t work, just that it takes a certain type of couple to make it work.

FWIW I believe the “divorce rate is higher than the general populace” is actually an old wives tale. I saw an article about that too that stated it was much higher. Took a closer look at it and realized the statistics were skewed. I read recently that it was no higher than the average (in fact it might have even been a bit lower than normal).

FWIW I believe the “divorce rate is higher than the general populace” is actually an old wives tale. I saw an article about that too that stated it was much higher. Took a closer look at it and realized the statistics were skewed. I read recently that it was no higher than the average (in fact it might have even been a bit lower than normal).

I’d seen statistics going both ways, and of course the general transportation industry citing something like a 75% divorce rate, but that obviously includes a ton of people who are not pilots (or in aviation for that matter). It just takes a special spouse who is willing to accept transfers to new cities and possible erratic schedules for a while until you move up the seniority chain. Such things can be a tough row to hoe if you’ve spent a decade together being home at 5:30pm every evening and sharing the daily activities each day, then going to a 121 job where you’re gone for several days at a time. I don’t think I could sell the wife on that one, especially the relocation aspect.

I’d seen statistics going both ways, and of course the general transportation industry citing something like a 75% divorce rate, but that obviously includes a ton of people who are not pilots (or in aviation for that matter). It just takes a special spouse who is willing to accept transfers to new cities and possible erratic schedules for a while until you move up the seniority chain. Such things can be a tough row to hoe if you’ve spent a decade together being home at 5:30pm every evening and sharing the daily activities each day, then going to a 121 job where you’re gone for several days at a time. I don’t think I could sell the wife on that one, especially the relocation aspect.

Yea that’s understandable

Some spouses like some time off from each other and also appreciate how much ya can be home as a pilot... guess I’m lucky

I'm hoping that working 6 days a week I'll be able to finish by this time next year and will hopefully start at PSA, where I now have 3 friends, including my mentor.

1) Best of luck to you!

2) Just curious, why PSA? They are forcing upgrades as soon as you hit 950 hours part 121, you'll get displaced to ORF, and you might flow to mainline before ever holding a line again (very long reserve times as a captain). There are FO's that have gone to Long Call reserve or bid to fly with check airman so they can get displaced just to keep the hours down and prolong their time off short call reserve. Scheduling manipulates the reserve grid so you can never trade. Also, PSA is getting rid of the SAP...

A lot will change in the next year but definitely keep your options open for regional airlines. PSA has the worst reserve rules out of all the airlines currently.

Good luck! Ive thought about it but at 43 with a 1-year old the math doesn't add up for me.
I suggest you work on your ratings on the side. Time is going to pass no matter what you are doing. The airlines opportunity may pass you by but there are plenty of other flying jobs - including part time. You have time to build some hours and more importantly- time to network. You may be able to “retire” early from your day job and transition into flying.
. . .I've been listening to the Aviation Careers podcast, which I absolutely love. It has been the most insightful advice I have heard about the various aviation careers.
He ends each podcast with a quote something to the effect of “do something now, today to move forward in your career.”You can drill a few questions each night for your next rating. Eventually you will be ready.

Back