Garmin acquires FltPlan

was wondering who'd be the first to post this (I wagered on @AggieMike88 ).

this is interesting because fltplan had maybe 1 or 2 interesting things on it but not enough for me to ever use it. since I use GP, hopefully I'll get those added features in the same app.

The frequently used routings feature is nice...

FltPlan Go app is free, anyone want bet how long it takes for Garmin to kill the app?
Does FltPlan download the charts from a public,government server, or are they downloaded from corporate site? Obviously if the former I will be able to continue to use it.

I’m sure Garmin will ruin it.

GAGHAGGHAGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Garmin products but I love my free EFB more...

Since fltplan go will soon go the way of the dodo, can anyone recommend another free EFB?

Hmm, as I return to the left seat, I've been messing w/ FltPlan Go a lot (only with XPlane so far, no in the air - too much rust to knock off to worry about gadgets) and it's seemed 'good enough.' If it goes Tango Uniform, it'll probably push me towards iPad/ForeFlight.

Sad we lost another competitor.

Go is gone and so is the last free efb with georeferenced approach plates.

Next best value is the FlyQ lifetime deal when they run it.

FF, GP, and FlyQ...field down to three.

I expect Garmin to keep a free version going, its makes to much money with the ad revenue. Because of the ad revenue, I doubt Garmin will combine the web properties or the apps.
Garmin has been looking to expand and really compete on the premium side, look at the integrated logging systems, photos, InReach.... This is the higher end stuff, but they were really missing the international premium services and items for corporate flight departments.

I would expect Garmin to migrate fltplan premium services to Garmin Pilot as additional levels of service. Then keep fltplan.com for the free model, and push anyone wanting higher end features to a Garmin Pilot plan.

Tim

Man, I use it for planning and filing along side with FF, let’s hope garmin doesn’t...well garmin it.

I have other experiences with Garmin. Like when they bought DeLorme which was struggling in the map business but had a great line of handheld GPS units and integrated them with their PC based Topo maps. I thought the two products were the best on the market. When Garmin bought them they snatched up the satellite based In-Reach product which was awesome, and then shut down pretty much everything else. Absolute greed, buy up what you want and then layoff all the rest of the employees and abandon the thousands of long time users who were left with NOTHING.

I like Fltplan Go because it runs on Android and I put Apple in the same class as Garmin anyway. I don't hate Garmin products because I have owned quite a few and love their technology. Just hate the corporate pirate part. Hard to be optimistic right now and pretty sure my pocket book is already feeling lighter.

I have other experiences with Garmin. Like when they bought DeLorme which was struggling in the map business but had a great line of handheld GPS units and integrated them with their PC based Topo maps. I thought the two products were the best on the market. When Garmin bought them they snatched up the satellite based In-Reach product which was awesome, and then shut down pretty much everything else. Absolute greed, buy up what you want and then layoff all the rest of the employees and abandon the thousands of long time users who were left with NOTHING.

I like Fltplan Go because it runs on Android and I put Apple in the same class as Garmin anyway. I don't hate Garmin products because I have owned quite a few and love their technology. Just hate the corporate pirate part. Hard to be optimistic right now and pretty sure my pocket book is already feeling lighter.

That’s corporate America for you. The big execs don’t care nothing about the employees. They got a yacht and a mcmansion to pay for!

---ng Garmin. As a fltplan go guy, if they start charging money for the georeferencing a la foreflight, then there goes the entire incentive. Ill probably stick with it even if they take the georeference away from me. But if they charge for basic access a la Garmin pilot, then it's game over. I was already up to here with the Garmin moniker due to the sky Beacon lawsuit (and I am still planning on going the skybeacon route, or a non-garmin all-in-one 1090 transponder if the skybeacon route gets shutdown), so this fltplan move is the cherry on top as far as I'm concerned. I fly behind a 430W that does a good enough job, but I'm not patronizing garmin in either the EFB, ADSB, or GPS navigator front moving forward. I'll keep patronizing the competition even if the product is inferior. It's a hobby after all; I can exercise non-rational behavior for the sake of a principle.

Now Jepp needs to acquire ForeFlight...

I don't know that that does anything for either company. You can already use Jepp charts in ForeFlight, and I don't think the services aspect really fits in well with ForeFlight.

Yeah, Jepp would get an EFB that doesn't suck, but since they're already selling subscriptions via ForeFlight it probably wouldn't be a significant boost for them.

Garmin buying FltPlan, though, is a very interesting move, and I bet Garmin Pilot will be improved significantly for corporate flyers as a result.

Garmin either acquires good companies,or forces them out of the market.

You've obviously never used Avare, which makes four. The app is free, charts are free, plates are free, and after landing the airport diagram comes up by itself (often about the time I first touch the brakes on rollout).

Avare doesn't have an apple version, this free app runs well on inexpensive Android systems (like my Galaxy Tab A, wifi only, because Samsung puts GPS chips in all of them, not just the pricey cellular models).

Just look at how garmin is patent trolling ADSB right now.

I've been a pretty dedicated FltPlan Go user for a while now because of some slight advantages in the interface for aerial photography work OVER Foreflight (IMO). That said, if Garmin ruins it, I'll be quite unhappy...

Fltplan Go supports lots of non Garmin ADS-B equipment. As does Droid EFB.

You've obviously never used Avare, which makes four. The app is free, charts are free, plates are free, and after landing the airport diagram comes up by itself (often about the time I first touch the brakes on rollout).

Avare doesn't have an apple version, this free app runs well on inexpensive Android systems (like my Galaxy Tab A, wifi only, because Samsung puts GPS chips in all of them, not just the pricey cellular models).
You're right. No Apple support so no way I can use. So my choices remain at three.

Yep, sad to see this. FltPlan till they charge. AVARE as co-EFB and backup.

Aerovie is pretty fantastic. I was considering switching anyway... This might be what pushes me over.

FltPlan Go app is free, anyone want bet how long it takes for Garmin to kill the app?
Does FltPlan download the charts from a public,government server, or are they downloaded from corporate site? Obviously if the former I will be able to continue to use it.
6 months before they kill it or make it payware... sad as I was enjoying it and as a student pilot I don't want to fork money for ForeFlight just yet...

6 months before they kill it or make it payware... sad as I was enjoying it and as a student pilot I don't want to fork money for ForeFlight just yet...

If they pull down charts from FAA site, then you’ll still be able to enjoy it, just don’t update it. I disabled auto update a long time ago.

If they pull down charts from FAA site, then you’ll still be able to enjoy it, just don’t update it. I disabled auto update a long time ago.
I can't image that any app gets charts directly from the FAA, the format is horrible for mobile and up until recently they didn't really even have a good programmatic way for apps to figure out what was new or not. Almost everyone pulls them down and reformats(crop, tile, overview at least) them into a much more mobile friendly solution before providing them to their customers.

I don't mind paying for a quality product. I think Garmin Pilot, Droid EFB, FltPlan Go are all very nice Android products for VFR or IFR flight management. I just want them to continue to support a broad range of hardware, not just Garmin or some other product. Once you start balkanizing EFB software then it becomes less competitive, and tries to force owners into a single product line, which stifles innovation. I could have bought a Garmin GTX345 or a Lynx NGT9000 to get ADS-B in/out in teh panel. The latter has some innovative features, and has upgradeable software, but is isn't a Garmin product. Right now, several quality Android EFBs support all my hardware, but maybe not if they are swallowed up by the big fish. I liked Garmin PIlot, and used it for a while when Droid EFB was having their legal spat, but if it doesn't fully support all my avionics, it is not useful to me. What I like about the Android products is that most all wifi tablets come with GPS chips, giving you an extra level of redundancy in the cockpit.

I'm guessing others got this email as well, but just in case:

August 29, 2018

Dear loyal FltPlan user:

Nineteen years ago, FltPlan was created to provide pilots with an accurate, reliable and integrated flight planning and filing service on the web. From there, FltPlan.com grew into the largest flight planning company in North America, creating 6.3 million flight plans annually. To our loyal customers that have supported us for nearly two decades, I am extremely grateful.

Today begins a new chapter for us, as I am pleased to announce that FltPlan has been acquired by Garmin International, a leading provider of avionics and flight deck technologies. Together with Garmin, we’re excited for the opportunity to merge the exceptional talents and strengths from each company to provide superior pre-flight, in-flight and post-flight solutions to the aviation industry.

Looking to the future, this acquisition will integrate FltPlan’s industry-leading web portal, FltPlan.com, and mobile application, FltPlan Go, into the Garmin ecosystem to create a superior portfolio of end-to-end services. Premium flight planning services and programs, such as FltLogic, FltPlan Manager, APIS/eAPIS, SMS, pre-departure clearances, international handling, overflight fees and more, will continue to grow and improve as we work together to expand the capabilities of FltPlan.com and FltPlan Go.

Garmin is committed to ensuring FltPlan continues to be the industry-leading choice for domestic and international electronic flight plan filing and services. Collectively, we are dedicated to increasing the quality of innovation, support and service that you have come to expect from our companies over the years.

Again, thank you for putting your trust in FltPlan over the years. We look forward to continuing to serve you as part of the Garmin family for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Ken Wilson
Founder
FltPlan.com (Flight Plan LLC)

Sure he’s pleased. He just got a bunch o cash.

I don’t blame him, but won’t be good for customers.

Why else would you build a tech company ? Sell to Google, Facebook or in this case Garmin.

Yeah, Jepp would get an EFB that doesn't suck...

The previously-announced Jepp/ForeFlight partnership already means that ForeFlight is essentially designing the next-generation version of Jepp FliteDeck Pro.

Back