6Y9 Fly-In 2018 (labor day weekend)

Looking forward to "breaking in" the newbies. Heh. I'll leave it at that.
Some Newbies we break. Some Newbies break us!!

img_3476-jpg.56168

Oh my! I'll see what we can do!

Not sure it'll make a great "Hoppy's Run" car tho! How many pilots can you fit in a ???

I am just testing the astronomy waters, what telescope does Leslie have?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Celestron, C6-S GT, Schmidt-Cassegrain tube. Been a while since I cranked it up, hope to find a good portable power source for the mount. I'm still somewhat new at the astronomy waters too; we can all test the waters together! What scope ya got?

cnc6sgtxlt.jpg

I have a 4SE, Muksatov (sp) nice and portable, just missed on an 8SE a few weeks on an auction site. I use the old car battery from Jeannettes CRV for power, if you should be able to piggy back off of that. I use a Star Sense for easier alignment. I took it to the KY Dam fly in, but never got it.out of the box.

And let's not forget the haywagon that broke and those who had to ride on the tractor!!! The important thing was...we got everybody to Hoppy's and back...eventually. As I recall, there were "a couple" of trips.

We just bought almost the exact same scope for our intro astronomy classes... only ours has an alt-az mount. Also I can't tell if your remote is NexStar or StarSense; ours is SS.

Celestron, C6-S GT, Schmidt-Cassegrain tube. Been a while since I cranked it up, hope to find a good portable power source for the mount. I'm still somewhat new at the astronomy waters too; we can all test the waters together! What scope ya got?

cnc6sgtxlt.jpg

We just bought almost the exact same scope for our intro astronomy classes... only ours has an alt-az mount. Also I can't tell if your remote is NexStar or StarSense; ours is SS.

NexStar remote - haven't invested enough time in it yet to justify the cost of adding on StarSense - that's plane rental money!

Also gives me incentive to make sure I understand the manual alignment process. Similar to flying: the pink GPS line is nice as a supplement, but don't lose the ability to fly it 'old school' when that pink line mysteriously shuts off....

I have really good news. I won’t be among the 6Y9 attendees this year. Delivered the Lucky Strike to the shop this morning where it is likely to be resident for a spell.

Ummmm.....sorry....that is NOT good news! We will miss you.
I've hoarded the bourbon you brought last time you came...was hoping to share a swig or two with ya ....next time, I guess.

My plan is to replenish the supply on my next visit. Number 1 comm is off to the radio hospital, so I might be grounded for a bit.

That sucks Michael, you WILL be missed.

NexStar remote - haven't invested enough time in it yet to justify the cost of adding on StarSense - that's plane rental money!

Also gives me incentive to make sure I understand the manual alignment process. Similar to flying: the pink GPS line is nice as a supplement, but don't lose the ability to fly it 'old school' when that pink line mysteriously shuts off....
I can help with a two star alignment, it is the easiest and has the same accuracy as the three star. Do you have a Wi-Fi dongle for your scope? I have had good success with the Wi-Fi and an old nexus 7 tablet for wireless control via Sky Portal. Liz, my scope is also an alt az scope but does have an inexpensive equatorial wedge built into the tripod. I have not.messed with that feature as yet.

Yep - we thought we had the StarSense down when we took the scope out for "first light" earlier this summer, but I tried again last week and couldn't get it to cooperate. The problem is likely that we were also using Sky Portal in May, via someone who had enough memory left in her iPhone to download the database. Thanks to ForeFlight I don't, unfortunately. So we reverted to "old school" manual pointing, and got a good look at Mars and Saturn with an 18mm eyepiece.

I used to do two star alignment with the NexStar and was quite good at it, but StarSense is proving to be more challenging...

Well, bummer, I'm out.

My cabin is available if anyone wants/needs it. PM me. I'll wait until later today or first thing in the morning to cancel it if no one responds.

I am always missed until I actually show up, and then it is my absence that is missed. I hope you all have a smashing good time. I love it up there, and am dismayed that I can't make the trip.

Well, bummer, I'm out.

My cabin is available if anyone wants/needs it. PM me. I'll wait until later today or first thing in the morning to cancel it if no one responds.

You're afraid of karma aren't you?
So sorry you can't make it! You, too, will be missed.

I was on the fence, but the plane is down, cyl #2 ate a valve. Out.

Oooo...ouch!

No Oberle Dog for you. Oh...wait...I'm not going to make it either. :(

I guess the threat of me being there has scared everyone off.

Is anyone going to be there? I guess it'll be me and the Fredericks hanging out :)

Last edited:

Is anyone going to be there? I guess it'll be me and the Fredericks hanging out :)

Yes there will still be a bunch that show up so no worries about scaring anyone off! It is more than just a POA fly in, although POA people have been our strongest supporters and we are truly thankful for each and every one who has been with us along the way.

For those who cannot make it anymore due to relocation, growing families, different interests,etc., just know that we look forward to when our paths cross again. We remember all of you who helped us "get this party started" and really do miss you. We have so many great memories because of you.

And... every year we get to meet a few more of you and that adds to the excitement! We have some newbies again this year...yay! Can hardly wait.

We are closely watching ‘what shouldn’t be named’ and at this point still plan to attend...

Last edited:
Well, bummer, I'm out.

Well he'll, guess in will be taking that cute crew car back to its owner, I hope he hasn't missed it yet

I did see an old school bus for sale down the road a piece, and immediately thought of @Dizaster we could paint it like the old Partridge Family bus and sing and play guitar and ukelele in it!

We are closely watching ‘what shouldn’t be named’ and at this point still plan to attend...

Fingers crossed. Seems to be a not-so-great pattern the last couple of years. BUT...for those who make it in....we'll have a good time, so hope it works out for you to get here!

I did see an old school bus for sale down the road a piece, and immediately thought of @Dizaster we could paint it like the old Partridge Family bus and sing and play guitar and ukelele in it!

Would there be room for the old upright too???:p

Or you could get a few "drunk party bikes" as I call them. I've seen them with a keyboard player...it think one was in Savannah. We could pedal over to Hoppy's and back and work off a few of the calories we consume up there!!!!!

pedal-tavern-nashville-tennessee.jpg.rend_.tccom_.1280.960.jpeg

Back