Best Accelerated Multi-Add on for buck?

USAF-LT-G

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
USAF-LT-G
Hi guys -

I'm trying to get my multi add-on before the end of September. I've got SEL Instrument already, and looking for the multi-add on with instrument. I've checked out Pray, and while it would work, I can NOT for the life of me get these people on the phone. I call the # and it just keeps ringing and eventually I get a message saying there's some issue with the phone company. I've also sent them an online request with no response. A 2-3 day add-on course (as they advertise) is perfect, but I can't get these people on the phone.

Any others out there that give a good bang for the buck?

I'm In Chicago - DPA. But... I have points for airfare / hotel that I can pretty much anywhere for free. Just trying to find a good program.

Also - Let me preface.... I'm trying to get this done in 1 trip. I.e. I depart on a Sunday or Monday, get there, train up, checkout there (would prefer if they had a DPE associated with the school as opposed to just scheduling a random one), and NLT Friday i'm on back home.

Also - Let me preface.... I'm trying to get this done in 1 trip. I.e. I depart on a Sunday or Monday, get there, train up, checkout there (would prefer if they had a DPE associated with the school as opposed to just scheduling a random one), and NLT Friday i'm on back home.

Zenda Liess
336-324-9595

She offers ME in her Baron and is a DPE located near Greensboro NC

I just left her a voicemail. Will see what timing looks like. I'm ready to go by Monday if we can get to it that quick lol :)

Tom at Traverse Air in Cadillac, MI. Amazing instructor and he runs a top notch operation.

@Christy Wong is doing her MEL training with Fox aviation and can share about her experience.

Pray Aviation is out.... they're having problems with getting DPEs scheduled, and there's a waitlist of students awaiting checkrides.... so this is on par with others recently saying they seem to be disorganized. Kind of disappointed because their website made it out to be this "well organized" thing. Also November / December time would be more a kin to when they have availability to anyone who's inquiring.

Water Wings - Called, and they can probably get me in, and probably a 5 day program for $5000, but want me to do the Gleim Ground Training ahead of time, and then there's DPE cost on top of it. High cost due to aircraft being flown (a Piper Comanche). May still book here.... not sure.

Zenda is an awesome deal - but they're booked up until October, but she's waitlisting me if there's a cancellation

Left a message with Mike's Flying, and e-mailed them. Waiting to hear back

Gave Tom a call, but no one answered and Voicemail full. Sent him an email

Gonna give fox aviation a call next....

Action Multi in Groton CT might be an option.

Action isn't what they were. The dpe they were working with retired and they do have a new one but he isn't as closely tied to the school, as before.

No she has an instructor that does the teaching and then she does the check ride.

I did Zenda's school earlier this month. Great program. The only hickup could be if you get weather during your trip. Your success there is entirely dependent on your prep. Read everything she gives you inside and out. Memorize the 3 page study guide before you get there. Her instructor does this full time. He put up 50 students for the multi last year. He's a bit gruff, but I didn't realize how much I'd learned from him until I flew with someone else.

Do you really need this? Typically multi add-ons are pretty short to begin with. All you need is an instructor and access to a plane that will rent to you for the training and checkride.

Do you really need this? Typically multi add-ons are pretty short to begin with. All you need is an instructor and access to a plane that will rent to you for the training and checkride.

Do I really need this - Yes. I eventually will be getting my own twin. I fly long hauls as is today (Chicago to New York, Chicago to Florida) in a single glass, and I need at least a 6 seater for family.

2nd - I'm striking out completely. Basically everyone mentioned here I've called, and there is virtually no availability, or the cost is astronomical, or the program is way dragged out. Example. Called around to my locals, who has a decently equipped Aztec (though not stellar), wants $7500 training + $1000 to join the club + $395 / hr rental + min 10 hours and says training will be 2 months long..... WTF????

So now I have multiple problems....

1) I can't seem to find a place that rents a nice 6 seater (preferably club seating) anywhere by me. KPWK -windy city flyers apparently has a Baron 58, but won't return my calls, and I can't even find out how much they rent this for

2) I can't find anyone that will do the training this month or anytime soon

3) I don't know any off the shelf instructors, nor do i have "access to a plane" at the moment to do this.

I was hoping to take my family to Disney World Sep 29th - Oct 4th (Wife, me, grandparents, 2 small < 35 lbs kids).

Do I really need this - Yes. I eventually will be getting my own twin. I fly long hauls as is today (Chicago to New York, Chicago to Florida) in a single glass, and I need at least a 6 seater for family.

2nd - I'm striking out completely. Basically everyone mentioned here I've called, and there is virtually no availability, or the cost is astronomical, or the program is way dragged out. Example. Called around to my locals, who has a decently equipped Aztec (though not stellar), wants $7500 training + $1000 to join the club + $395 / hr rental + min 10 hours and says training will be 2 months long..... WTF????

1) I can't seem to find a place that rents a nice 6 seater (preferably club seating) anywhere by me. KPWK -windy city flyers apparently has a Baron 58, but won't return my calls, and I can't even find out how much they rent this for

3) I don't know any off the shelf instructors, nor do i have "access to a plane" at the moment to do this.

I was hoping to take my family to Disney World Sep 29th - Oct 4th (Wife, me, grandparents, 2 small < 35 lbs kids).

You realize it would be cheaper to and quicker to fly commercial right? If it's a personal goal that is one thing but you are talking 10+ hours of twin rental plus any ramp or parking fees, plus any overnight charges on the airplane.

You realize it would be cheaper to and quicker to fly commercial right? If it's a personal goal that is one thing but you are talking 10+ hours of twin rental plus any ramp or parking fees, plus any overnight charges on the airplane.
Once he gets his multi, he may have difficulty renting a twin. Some clubs/FBOs want a minimum number of hours, plus a checkout in their plane. It may actually be quicker and easier for him to buy his plane first, and learn in it! (And then he may find that his insurance company requires some hours with a mentor pilot.) Getting any type of rating is likely not something to do based on a deadline.

Try Deland Aviation, Deland, FL. Ask for Dave (chief flight instructor). Tell him your're Air Force and go from there (he flew U2). He only instructs during the week, no weekends. I know they use a Jet Blue captain for DPE and he does do the multi. Recommend Dave very highly.

Screw it... this is more work than actually just owning a plane, and I've been putting that off. I'm just going to find a plane for the mission and be done with it. I'll do my training on it, and call it a day. I do too much travel NOT to own my own aircraft already.

Once he gets his multi, he may have difficulty renting a twin. Some clubs/FBOs want a minimum number of hours, plus a checkout in their plane. It may actually be quicker and easier for him to buy his plane first, and learn in it!
This has been something that I have been thinking about lately....

Long term plans include needing lots and lots of hours in a twin. And there is a good local Aztec to train in and eventually rent. Just at nearly $300/hr

But if I could
  • find a decent IFR equipped twin with reasonable time left on motors,
  • then find a partner who has same goals,
  • then plan to sell once I reached the desired time goal and desired ratings (MEL, MEI, and Comm ME)
I think get it all done for waaaaay less than renting.

Sort of a separate topic, but now i need to think about who's got the best financing options.

Thank you for sharing that resource....

How do I reserve the spare bunk at your place if I decide to come out there to take advantage of this?

I probably shouldn’t have posted that here cause I need to use him soon and don’t want him all booked up!! Haha I don’t have a spare bunk but I got a blow up mattress lol

I probably shouldn’t have posted that here cause I need to use him soon and don’t want him all booked up!! Haha I don’t have a spare bunk but I got a blow up naked woman lol

FTFY

I was thinking of something nearly as baaaaahhhhd

One more for you to try: Downtown Aviation in Memphis. I got my rating there in 6 or so hours. Then they had a Duchess, I think they've added a Seneca or something also now.

Sort of a separate topic, but now i need to think about who's got the best financing options.

Find out what your insurance is going to want for the plane you have in mind. This way you can make a plan to satisfy their needs as you work through the acquisition, finance, etc. Since you may need to get on someone's schedule you could book them in advance. However, I'd go ahead and get some airline tickets for the Disney trip. That's not likely to work out for you.

What plane you thinking about for that mission??? The travel for work plane and a big family hauler can be two different beasts!! 4 adults 2 small kids and luggage is a whole lotta cake!

What plane you thinking about for that mission??? The travel for work plane and a big family hauler can be two different beasts!! 4 adults 2 small kids and luggage is a whole lotta cake!

It’s been long overdue. Most folk know I’m looking to get into a 421C or a 414. I do enough where it makes sense fits the mission, and not messing around anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried Illinois aviation? They are on the field at DPA otherwise try JA Air at Aurora.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back