Student Pilot and insurance, ok to insure under another pilot?

Jamie Kirk

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JamieK
I Googled, I searched and while I got a lot of other info I did not find this answer.

I am a student pilot and in the process of finalizing a plane purchase. Since I am not licensed, no time in complex/performance as you can imagine the insurance is sky high.

My father in law has been a pilot for over 30 years and has IFR/Complex/Performance ratings and said to insure it under him until I get licensed and rated. Neither of us knew if this was legal or not and Google failed us. He will be flying the plane a lot more than me for the next few months and anytime I fly it will be with a CFI.

You can that but you will still be listed as a student pilot and pay same amount. As I understand it insurance is usually priced for the most expensive pilot listed on the policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insurance policies cover the owner of the airplane. So if you own the airplane, you need to be the one whose name is on the policy. If your father is going to be flying it, then you will also want him to be a named pilot without the right of subrogation. If you will be flying with one CFI, then you should probably add them as well. There should be no additional charge for adding either of them.

Insurance policies cover the owner of the airplane. So if you own the airplane, you need to be the one whose name is on the policy. If your father is going to be flying it, then you will also want him to be a named pilot without the right of subrogation. If you will be flying with one CFI, then you should probably add them as well. There should be no additional charge for adding either of them.

I will be the only owner so then it must go under me and not him at all.

I have one question... Why are you asking POA/Google when the answer lies with an insurance agency? Pick one and call, you'll find they will all tell you about the same thing, though the rates may differ some....

I got insurance while a student and it wasn't too bad $1500 on a 90k hull value. Did use an agent to get it. Expect it to drop next year now that I'm certified

I got insurance while a student and it wasn't too bad $1500 on a 90k hull value. Did use an agent to get it. Expect it to drop next year now that I'm certified

Wow, where? I’m like $4500 with the same Hull value.

If you're saying have him as named pilot and have you fly under his open pilot clause, then no. Every open pilot clause I have read requires at least a private.

I Googled, I searched and while I got a lot of other info I did not find this answer.

I am a student pilot and in the process of finalizing a plane purchase. Since I am not licensed, no time in complex/performance as you can imagine the insurance is sky high.

My father in law has been a pilot for over 30 years and has IFR/Complex/Performance ratings and said to insure it under him until I get licensed and rated. Neither of us knew if this was legal or not and Google failed us. He will be flying the plane a lot more than me for the next few months and anytime I fly it will be with a CFI.

List your CFI as the pilot and you do not need to be on it.

Who says????? My buddy owns a Christen Eagle and I am on the insurance to fly the plane. He does not fly it and he is not on the policy.
List the CFI as the pilot and stay off until you get your license.
Or just fly uninsured if there isn't a lien. Insurance is not a requirement.

News to me...
OP.jpeg

Are you going to own it in your name or form an LLC to own it? If the later then you just don't name yourself until you feel like it. Be careful about the open pilot warranty -- they are often different and some insurers may subrogate.

Call Gallagher and see what they have for you.

I have one question... Why are you asking POA/Google when the answer lies with an insurance agency? Pick one and call, you'll find they will all tell you about the same thing, though the rates may differ some....
They may tell you different things, but your question is the correct answer.

Interesting. I have a potential student who just bought an airplane and is in the process of obtaining insurance. I have an idea what to anticipate, but until I see it, I'm just self-speculating.

Call an aviation insurance agent...duh

When we bought our plane as students, we had to name the flight instructor on the policy (no problem, as he is a friend) as an insured person. After we both got our tickets, we could, in theory, let anyone with a valid ticket fly it (that never happened!)

Many of the answers above are flat-out wrong. Call an agent who specializes in GA insurance and talk to a senior agent (don’t let them pawn you off on an intern like my soon-to-be-former agency did) and have them explain how insurance works. AOPA would be a good place to start.

Many of the answers above are flat-out wrong. Call an agent who specializes in GA insurance and talk to a senior agent (don’t let them pawn you off on an intern like my soon-to-be-former agency did) and have them explain how insurance works. AOPA would be a good place to start.

Spoke to AOPA last week, lowest they got was just north of $7,000 a year.

In 2016 I insured my $25,000 Cherokee as a rental for student pilots and a couple of people as named insureds for $2,960. What airplane are you trying to insure that results in such a high premium?

I recommended AOPA to get you questions about who is covered answered under the policy. Did they answer them?

In 2016 I insured my $25,000 Cherokee as a rental for student pilots and a couple of people as named insureds for $2,960. What airplane are you trying to insure that results in such a high premium?

I recommended AOPA to get you questions about who is covered answered under the policy. Did they answer them?

1976 Rockwell Commander. $90k hull
Value.

AOPA since I was registered owner I have to be listed pilot. However any licensed pilot can fly it.

So I am gifting the airplane to my father in law as a present for the next year. I’ll get my hours up and get a present back. Insurance for him on same plane is $1,002 a year.

Buying a complex aircraft ,without a license,prices are going to be high.all agents will shop your request. Ave could deals direct,I have been using AOPA.

So what airplane are you going to use to learn to fly in?

FYI, you can own an airplane and not be on the insurance. I own part of a Cessna 210 and I am not on the insurance. I can’t fly it. (Well I can, but if there is an accident, I wouldn’t be insured.)

So what airplane are you going to use to learn to fly in?

FYI, you can own an airplane and not be on the insurance. I own part of a Cessna 210 and I am not on the insurance. I can’t fly it. (Well I can, but if there is an accident, I wouldn’t be insured.)

Doing my training in a DA-40

If you're going to fly it and want to be protected by the insurance, you better tell the insurance company. They won't cover you otherwise. Some policies have open pilot clauses but I never saw one that would cover a student pilot. Further, the open pilot clause usually is only for casual use by others. Nobody is going to believe that the owner flying his own plane would be casual use.

You can get insured as a student pilot. I know several who bought planes as student pilots.

If you're going to fly it and want to be protected by the insurance, you better tell the insurance company. They won't cover you otherwise. Some policies have open pilot clauses but I never saw one that would cover a student pilot. Further, the open pilot clause usually is only for casual use by others. Nobody is going to believe that the owner flying his own plane would be casual use.

You can get insured as a student pilot. I know several who bought planes as student pilots.

Only a licensed pilot will be flying it. I will not fly it till I’m a licensed pilot with the correct sign offs

Back