Anyone following Russel's engine out?

He's based (or at least has a couple of hangars) at my home field. See it flying around the pattern occasionally. The man has some neat projects, glad to hear the Ryan (and he) are OK.

Shot this about two years ago, as the restoration was finishing up.
ryan_russell.jpg

He's also got Bob Cummings' old Porterfield, "Spinach".
18d0ce7c-9222-11e3-987f-b8f6b111590f

Ron Wanttaja

Looks like his Warner 165 is broke really bad. broken articulating rod beat the crap out of the interior.

But all your friends are there talking about you. :)

Actually Tom most of my friends don’t use FB. It might be useful for some, but I simply don’t care for it. Besides, real life is far more interesting and I don’t need a made up, alternate reality.

Actually Tom most of my friends don’t use FB. It might be useful for some, but I simply don’t care for it. Besides, real life is far more interesting and I don’t need a made up, alternate reality.
Tom made funny,, don't get wrapped up in it.

FB is exactly what you make of it. We share pictures and political opinions.

Add me to the list of non FB participants. The rest of my family is however and all they do is talk about how stupid my step sister is. I already knew that so no need for me to join.

Add me to the list of non FB participants. The rest of my family is however and all they do is talk about how stupid my step sister is. I already knew that so no need for me to join.
Then don't include them on your friends list.

Looks like his Warner 165 is broke really bad. broken articulating rod beat the crap out of the interior.

Maybe some FB person could post some photos on this thread for us non-FB users.

Maybe some FB person could post some photos on this thread for us non-FB users.
not many pictures to see, mostly the write up. Short version - #3 link rod broke, and beat the crap out of the interior of the engine (Warner 165) landed on Wy. road, towed it backwards on its own gear, 19 miles to the airport. has another engine being shipped to fly it home.

This is copied and pasted from Russell's home page on FB

Got a visual on my engine’s failure this morning. As suspected, the link rod on #3 cylinder failed. The link pin end came apart and the link pin end and bushing have been ground up and debris is scattered throughout the power case.

The end of the #3 link rod hammered on the bases of the cylinder 2, 3 and 4 bases and damaged them.

The link pin is still in the master rod and there isn’t immediately obvious damage, but I can only get a view using a mirror. Unfortunately the master rod flanges around the link pin took some hammering damage from the loose link rod end.

The #3 piston skirt has disintegrated and one big chunk was found loose in the case.

It isn’t clear why the link rod end came apart. Unknown as yet if the rod failed or if the rod failure was secondary after some other failure that damaged it.

The engine kept running with a severe shake after the failure but it probably would not have stayed running for long. By pulling throttle to idle after the failure I had a longer glide with the prop turning, and a bit of reserve power near the ground, which came in handy. I’m glad I made the choice to land immediately rather than try to stretch to get to get to Gillette.

I made good progress preparing for an engine swap, with some of the baffles removed, all of the accessories and carburetor removed, and most of the hoses removed.

Going to take the next few days to head to my original destinations via airline. New engine nominally arriving in Gillette on Tuesday.

Ended up with an R-680 with same. Flailing end of failed rod damaged several cylinder skirts making removal next to impossible. Not a whole lot left usable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back