ADS-B for G1000

Frank Palmieri

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Frank P
The whole ADS-B upgrade is confusing. I have a G1000 182T and wrote to Cessna and Garmin asking for the best options for my situation. Garmin answered back with GTX 345R plus a software upgrade for my G1000. When I asked about the software upgrade they said I need to speak with Cessna. Cessna never answered my email and voicemails.

Anyone with G1000 knowledge have any suggestions?

The whole ADS-B upgrade is confusing. I have a G1000 182T and wrote to Cessna and Garmin asking for the best options for my situation. Garmin answered back with GTX 345R plus a software upgrade for my G1000. When I asked about the software upgrade they said I need to speak with Cessna. Cessna never answered my email and voicemails.

Anyone with G1000 knowledge have any suggestions?

Yup. GTX 345R is pretty much the only option. We did the upgrade in a non-WAAS DA40, for which Diamond has not approved a software update since about 2010, so we get traffic on the MFD but not weather (not a big loss, since we have a GDL 69A for XM weather that takes care of that).

Your avionics shop should be able to find out if Cessna has approved a G1000 software upgrade for your airplane, and if they have, install it. Usually just takes an hour or two of labor to do that.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

The avionics shop at KGKY recently gave me approximate quotes for my 2004 C-T182T Nav III:
ADS B Out - $5500 (gets the FAA mandate satisfied)
ADS B In & Out - $11000 ("In" part provides ATC traffic & weather; both free)
These estimates depend on my plane's wiring and maybe some other things.

Last edited:
The avionics shop at KGKY recently gave me approximate quotes for my 2004 C-T182T Nav III:
ADS B Out - $5500 (gets the FAA mandate satisfied)
ADS B In & Out - $11000 ("In" part provides ATC traffic & weather; both free)
These estimates depend on my plane's wiring and maybe some other things.

IIRC, we spent between $8K and $9K for the full in&out upgrade on the Diamond - But that was a couple years ago now, before the entire world was trying to get it done simultaneously.

You might look at a Lynx NGT-9000D. We have installed 6 so far and they are amazing. Touchscreen, WIFI out to your IPAD. I put one in my C-170A and love it. We just put one in our 414 that has a Garmin 600. ADS-B in and out with ATAS enabled (audio out for traffic advisory). 5500.00 and you can have someone you like install it.

You might look at a Lynx NGT-9000D. We have installed 6 so far and they are amazing. Touchscreen, WIFI out to your IPAD. I put one in my C-170A and love it. We just put one in our 414 that has a Garmin 600. ADS-B in and out with ATAS enabled (audio out for traffic advisory). 5500.00 and you can have someone you like install it.

No doubt the NGT-9000 is a nice device, but it doesn't work with the G1000.

Back