6Y9 Fly-In 2018 (labor day weekend)

I worry about landing my Mooney Ranger on a short turf strip, but if Oliver can do it...

I worry about landing my Mooney Ranger on a short turf strip, but if Oliver can do it...

Oliver? He can't fly. Martina handles all of the intricate tasks. She only allows Oliver to take the controls in straight and level flight!

;)

We can come and get you at LNL if you feel more comfortable. We would be happy to do this, and you would not be the first one to accept this option.
Btw...is Mrs Steingar coming along this trip?

Woohoo I'm stoked! Weekend after next. Even tried out the camping gear recently ;)IMG_20180811_174759.jpg

Coooool! I don't know you were coming. Look forward to meeting you!
As long as nothing else breaks on the plane (knock on wood) or the avionics shop calls and says they can fit me in... I'll be there!

We can come and get you at LNL if you feel more comfortable. We would be happy to do this, and you would not be the first one to accept this option.
Btw...is Mrs Steingar coming along this trip?
Mrs. Steingar isn't coming. Mrs. Steingar doesn't camp, dislikes bugs, and dislikes extreme darkness, all of which occur in abundance at the UP. I'll do a UP trip with her once I have the IR, and we'll stop in for an afternoon.

I am of course utterly dependent on the Gods of the air who will not be named in this context. Hence if they give there blessing I may actually be able to make it this year (that, and if the aircraft is fully functional). I certainly would like to, I like camping, don't care about bugs and don't mind the dark.

[...] Talk to @Skywalker and @German guy about how they plan going in and out with theirs. [...]

As Tim stated, Martina does the flying. I tried, but just can’t figure it out. Probably has to do with my clumsiness. :oops:;)

Anyways, if your are not comfortable landing on turf, 6Y9 is certainly not the right place to start with! The runway has a pretty good hump in it and the eastern half is surrounded by tall trees, which have a pretty significant impact on the winds, particularly if they are a little bit stronger.

Landing runway 24, Martina likes to fly a steep approach, carrying a little extra speed as there is quite a chance that the headwind under the treeline will be less / from a different direction than above. Once she made it over the trees, she pitches the plane down to quickly get down on the deck, while at the same time applying a bit of a slip to avoid picking up too much airspeed. She then lets it float until it settles down with the main gear first and a clear nose up attitude. If I remember correctly, she needed less than half of the runway, the last time we flew into 6Y9. Also, she keeps the yoke pulled all the way back, while taxiing, to unload the nose wheel.

When taking off, she first accelerates in ground effect and then punches through the potentially turbulent area, at around the tree tops, with a healthy speed margin and a good climb rate. We have seen quite a few planes struggling, as they climbed out at Vx, but were then surprised by a downdraft and a tailwind as they were climbing above the trees.

Not rocket science, but 6Y9 is also not the right place to practice, particularly with a slick plane like your Mooney.

Be safe out there! :)

Oliver

Last edited:
I've done plenty of short occluded strips in the Mooney, and I'm not particularly worried about them. I've landed 6Y9 in my Cherokee, and I thought it was a nice strip. The short and the turf wouldn't scare me away, just the activities of the Gods of the Air who will not be named.

I'm assuming....but not sure sure....describe them and I'll take a look around when I get there and let you know.
Hell, it's been a year, I don't remember!

They're both folding camp chairs. One is a nice reclining style with a headrest pillow. I believe the other one is more of a "normal" camp chair. I left them in the pilot's shack. Colors? Hell, I don't know. The reclining one may be blue. "May be...."

Hell, it's been a year, I don't remember!

They're both folding camp chairs. One is a nice reclining style with a headrest pillow. I believe the other one is more of a "normal" camp chair. I left them in the pilot's shack. Colors? Hell, I don't know. The reclining one may be blue. "May be...."

Ah! Since you mentioned pilot shack, I do believe I saw some chairs were left. Color? Dunno. Reclining style? Dunno. Normal style? Dunno. You're younger than me....if you can't be sure, then you can't expect much from me!:D

70 is a hard year to accept

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last I checked, I have a ways to go to that number. LTD seems to be bad at math, great at starting rumors, and lousy at remembering. And you, need not follow in his footsteps. Karma...and all that...:p

Last edited:
Oh, THAT'S what that was. I thought it was Dr. Bruce's Seneca on some kind of duckbill platypus hormones!
I was in that Grumman Widgeon in that low pass picture.
Really an awesome aircraft. Impressive when you enter the rear door, walk between the passenger seats as you walk up to the pilot and co pilots seats.
That Widgeon is one of the very few ( 3- me thinks) still flying with original Ranger engines. It flies with two fingers on the yoke, and seems maneuver like fighter.
Kinda homely sitting on the ramp , but a pretty cool airplane that you can touch down on water or land.

small-cropped-widgeon-jpg.31232

Last edited:
Last I checked, I have a ways to go to that number. LTD seems to be bad and math, great at starting rumors, and lousy at remembering. And you, need not follow in his footsteps. Karma...and all that...:p
Yep, but it was hard to resist. One item to note however, is that when you are 70, I will be 68 and fully retired. Wooohooo. So as always a silver lining.

Also as penance, I have this monstrous bottle of Woodford I am bringing if I can remember.

Yep, but it was hard to resist. One item to note however, is that when you are 70, I will be 68 and fully retired. Wooohooo. So as always a silver lining.

Hey, at least I subtracted 10 years from how old Ed told me she was!

And....I like J's math!!! I gain 4 whole years!!!

It is on my list to take with me but reminders are always welcomed. You still have that crown apple there?

Hey, at least I subtracted 10 years from how old Ed told me she was!

You mean Ed told you she was older than 70, but he told J and I that she was born in 58. I think we know where the math issues lie. That should bring him outta the shadows LOL

Sold the Saturn last night to make room in the driveway, and bringing the MH to the house this weekend to start packing. Wheels up Wednesday morning, well to be more precise wheels rolling.

As Tim stated, Martina does the flying. I tried, but just can’t figure it out. Probably has to do with my clumsiness. :oops:;)

Anyways, if your are not comfortable landing on turf, 6Y9 is certainly not the right place to start with! The runway has a pretty good hump in it and the eastern half is surrounded by tall trees, which have a pretty significant impact on the winds, particularly if they are a little bit stronger.

Landing runway 24, Martina likes to fly a steep approach, carrying a little extra speed as there is quite a chance that the headwind under the treeline will be less / from a different direction than above. Once she made it over the trees, she pitches the plane down to quickly get down on the deck, while at the same time applying a bit of a slip to avoid picking up too much airspeed. She then lets it float until it settles down with the main gear first and a clear nose up attitude. If I remember correctly, she needed less than half of the runway, the last time we flew into 6Y9. Also, she keeps the yoke pulled all the way back, while taxiing, to unload the nose wheel.

When taking off, she first accelerates in ground effect and then punches through the potentially turbulent area, at around the tree tops, with a healthy speed margin and a good climb rate. We have seen quite a few planes struggling, as they climbed out at Vx, but were then surprised by a downdraft and a tailwind as they were climbing above the trees.

Not rocket science, but 6Y9 is also not the right place to practice, particularly with a slick plane like your Mooney.

Be safe out there! :)

Landing on runway 24 will be difficult as 6Y9 has only runways 10 and 2
Oliver
Sold the Saturn last night to make room in the driveway, and bringing the MH to the house this weekend to start packing. Wheels up Wednesday morning, well to be more precise wheels rolling.
Tim keep the wheels down!

Yes! Six days until the "first arrivals!" Final preparations taking place...schedule will be about the same as last year. Well, let me rephrase since last year we had to close the lunch to the public and just continue privately.

That being said, Friday night at the Station, Saturday lunch on the field and evening party at Hoppy's, Sunday breakfast at the Station, and the rest of the weekend TBD based on the desires of the remaining attendees.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone again!

RV is almost ready, one more day should have it all ready for the trip. Woodfords is packed, also bringing the telescope to see what the MI sky might give up.

Yay...I don't have to remind you!
Awesome re: telescope. I think Grant brought one up. It did not disappoint!

Yay...I don't have to remind you!
Awesome re: telescope. I think Grant brought one up. It did not disappoint!
Actually it was Leslie! I asked if she would bring it again this year and she said “maybe”. We’re driving and have the other cabin. We'll overnight Thursday in Green Bay and then arrive in time for lunch Friday. Mike A is coming up behind us in an RV (not like JoeSelch’s) and should arrive Saturday.

Actually it was Leslie! I asked if she would bring it again this year and she said “maybe”. We’re driving and have the other cabin. We'll overnight Thursday in Green Bay and then arrive in time for lunch Friday. Mike A is coming up behind us in an RV (not like JoeSelch’s) and should arrive Saturday.

My bad...it was Leslie! But I do remember how cool it was!
This is shaping up to be another great fly in! Many have told us they were coming though they have not signed up. Looking forward to "breaking in" the newbies. Heh. I'll leave it at that.
Keep us posted on your arrival time...you have my cell. :)

I am just testing the astronomy waters, what telescope does Leslie have?

Back