Breathe Right Strips

U

Unregistered

Okay like right, I totally have this friend who has a problem with a consistent stuffy nose at night and it causes him problems sleeping. He's had this problem all of his life. There is some product out there called Breathe Right strips. I guess they go on the nose or something and I suppose you inhale some sort of aromatic decongestant while you sleep. I, er, he has read the Amazon reviews (which are all over the board), but does anybody here have any personal experience with them? Alternate suggestions?

No, I, er he doesn't feel like popping decongestant pills every night as a habit.

I used them in the past.

They do work (at least they do SOMETHING), but I never could get used to them.

They are adhesive with a small spring metal piece inside. You stick them to the bridge of your nose and they pull on the skin. They are hard to remove, though, they stick really well.

If you want to simulate what they do, pinch the skin on your nose by putting thumb and finger on opposite sides, pinching together, and pulling straight out.

I've used them too... They work for minor issues...ie; I have a deviated septum and it helps to get more air thru when I sleep... But for congestion... I don't think it is going to help...It didn't for me...

Interesting. So it's a mechanical device then. I see they have several varieties including "original" and "extra strength." Extra strong spring?

Maybe do the finger pinch thing for some temporary relief? That never occurred to me. Maybe I'll try that first.

I mean I will suggest that to him, rather.

(congested sinus ≠ sleep apnea, is it?)

Interesting. So it's a mechanical device then. I see they have several varieties including "original" and "extra strength." Extra strong spring?

Maybe do the finger pinch thing for some temporary relief? That never occurred to me. Maybe I'll try that first.

I mean I will suggest that to him, rather.

(congested sinus ≠ sleep apnea, is it?)

Strictly mechanical. I did think it helped some, but since it took me a long time to get used to using them, it actually cost me more sleep because I'd end up lying awake. After I used up a box (one-time use), I never used them again. Like I said, just pinch your nose using that method above and you'll know what they do. If you think that's enough to help with your breathing, then give them a try.

I know they have different sizes. As far as the "extra strength", I dunno.

Sleep apnea is way different, and is not a sinus related issue. Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) occurs when the tissues in the back of your throat relax and close off your airway. There are a lot of threads on this. Central Sleep Apnea (CSA) is a totally different beast, it's not common and involves the operation of the central nervous system and you can't get an SI for this one.

If you want to simulate an apnea: Swallow, then open your mouth and inhale at the same time. Your throat closes off and you can't get any air. Hold that for about 20-30 seconds. Then open your airway and you'll feel the gasp as you finish inhaling. If that happens when you are asleep, and if it happens enough times per hour, you are diagnosed with OSA.

Well I'm jumping on this thread kind of late (haha). But that's interesting to know.

Follow up to the OSA info above: There are multiple possibilities to resolve. OSA is a mechanical obstruction - it can be removed through surgery by laser-shaving off excess tissue in the back of your throat, weight loss (this is where neck circumference correlation comes in) can lower the mass of the tissue in your neck/throat area and lower the potential for it to cause an obstruction, and CPAP. CPAP applies air pressure into your air hole at a pressure that's just enough to keep the passage open and prevent apneas.

edit: Sometimes changing sleep positions can help, but FAA doesn't accept that at a treatment (once you are diagnosed with OSA) because there's no way to test for it and verify it's working.

Last edited:
I tried using breath strips when I had trouble sleeping, before I took a sleep study and was diagnosed with OSA. Once I started CPAP therapy, I stopped wearing them.

One thing I noticed was...I used them for about 4 months or so, and they left a horizontal mark on my nose that hasn't gone away to this day, and I stopped using them about a year and a half ago. The mark isn't too pronounced, but it is there. It's like an indentation in the skin where maybe I applied the strips too tightly or something, I'm not sure.

I was hoping that it would disappear over time, but maybe not. Oh well.

I recently started using a ResMed 10 CPAP machine. It's taken my AHI index from about 5.3 to less than 2 per hour. However, I found that my nasal congestion, tied in with the CPAP exhale pressure, added some difficulty to exhaling into the mask. I had some left over Breathe Right strips, and tried one when I slept. It was just enough to compensate for the extra exhalation pressure the CPAP machine provides. So, I'm continuing to use these strips.

I use the clear Breathe Right strips. They don't stick as well as the others, and especially the extra strength, but they are sticky enough, and peel off easily in the morning.

If you're going to use them, clean your nose first (alcohol, astringent, whatever) to get rid of the oil in the skin.
Downside - if you're sensitive to adhesives, it can be very uncomfortable after you take the strips off.

I recently started using a ResMed 10 CPAP machine. It's taken my AHI index from about 5.3 to less than 2 per hour. However, I found that my nasal congestion, tied in with the CPAP exhale pressure, added some difficulty to exhaling into the mask. I had some left over Breathe Right strips, and tried one when I slept. It was just enough to compensate for the extra exhalation pressure the CPAP machine provides. So, I'm continuing to use these strips.

I use the clear Breathe Right strips. They don't stick as well as the others, and especially the extra strength, but they are sticky enough, and peel off easily in the morning.
You might be able to to decrease the exhalation pressure on your blower. Check the "comfort settings".

I use them religiously. Didn't like the extra strength ones. They opened my nostrils so wide my throat would get dry. The don't prevent snoring, but I do find that they make breathing easier for me. (My nose always seems to be mildly congested as well. I also have a deviated septum.) I sleep better with them, and I fall asleep faster cuz the sound of my own breathing is gone and doesn't keep me awake.

Tell him to get checked for GERD, laying down for long periods and stuffiness can be an indicator for this condition. Easy to fix if its identified as present.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back