How long are unused fireworks safe?

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
On the 4th of July, not all the fireworks were lit. They have sat in my kitchen ever since. Is it safe to set them off? How long is too long?

The kids seem to have forgotten all about them. If I decide to get rid of them, how can I dispose of them.

I didn't buy them. I don't know what any of them are. I didn't set any of them off. I just have a big enough yard that the kids and grandkids came over here on July 4 to set off fireworks. My own answer to my original question is ... never.

Just don't light them off on a 'red flag day'.

If my neighbor lights more off his unused ones will be safely shoved up his but by me.
Guy moved in last month and the first weekend he’s lighting off bombs at midnight scaring my dogs. Illegal to light them off in my county but legal to buy. Of course it’s Florida so that makes sense to someone.

Is it safe to set them off? How long is too long?
When my Grandma passed away a few years ago we found tons of fireworks that she had in one of her closets from when we were little kids. Real M-80's, blackcats, and a bunch of mortars. They all shot off just fine.

Have you tried a Google search for this question? Probably faster than having to wait for someone to come along and give you an answer.

If you are looking for simple disposal, soak them in a bucket of water. That is the usual means of safeing powder type explosives.

It's my understanding that fireworks have the exact same shelf life as autogas. There's a recent thread about that here somewhere!

;)

I blew off some this 4th that I have had in the garage from 2015. All of them went pop, bang, boom. mortars, rockets and fountains.

The oxidizers are either sodium/postassium nitrate, a chlorate salt, or a perchlorate salt (used in firecrackers).

Worst case, they'll adsorb water from the air and just fizzle if they get old. Keep them in a cool, dry, place away from anything that gets hot or makes sparks (as you would with a can of gasoline for your lawnmower) and enjoy them next July 4, to celebrate labor day in a few days, your birthday, or new years.

Or as @midwestpa24 said, dunk them in water and toss them. I like @steingar 's suggestion more.

What's the worst that can happen, they blow up?

The oxidizers are either sodium/postassium nitrate, a chlorate salt, or a perchlorate salt (used in firecrackers).

Worst case, they'll adsorb water from the air and just fizzle if they get old. Keep them in a cool, dry, place away from anything that gets hot or makes sparks (as you would with a can of gasoline for your lawnmower) and enjoy them next July 4, to celebrate labor day in a few days, your birthday, or new years.

Or as @midwestpa24 said, dunk them in water and toss them. I like @steingar 's suggestion more.

That. It's basically like gunpowder, which does not become unstable over time like conventional high explosives, e.g. PETN, RDX, etc... Old dynamite, which you are unlikely to encounter, can be dangerous as the nitroglycerin can leach out of the cellulose binder and pool.

If it's a rocket, is it possible for the propellant to lose thrust but the payload to remain at full power? It would seem to me that a reduced thrust take off could lead to stability issues.

If it's a rocket, is it possible for the propellant to lose thrust but the payload to remain at full power? It would seem to me that a reduced thrust take off could lead to stability issues.
More likely to happen is the propellent to be "moist" towards the bottom and dryer higher up- it will fizzle and then fly off when the dry powder kicks in. If it is fizzing at all, just keep away from it.

I have some Black Cats that are over 40 years old. Wait here, if I survive I'll give a report......

Well, one out of one worked just fine.

More likely to happen is the propellent to be "moist" towards the bottom and dryer higher up- it will fizzle and then fly off when the dry powder kicks in. If it is fizzing at all, just keep away from it.
Fireworks designed to go off at high altitude but actually go off at low altitude due to propellant contamination sounds a bit concerning.

Fireworks designed to go off at high altitude but actually go off at low altitude due to propellant contamination sounds a bit concerning.
They sometimes do that when new too. That's why we don't hold them in our hands, and we clear the launch area after lighting the fuse. Last year one of those mortars the gov't lets us shoot here exploded in the launch tube. It was a lot louder than usual and the stuff just blew out the top of the tube.

I’ve used them 1-3 years later with no issues. Stored in a garage, not climate controlled.

Best way to deactivate is to soak them in water. Bucket + fireworks + water for 24 hrs.

I don't think they are supposed to be "safe", even when new - I mean, they are explosives and rockets. . .I think '"stable" is the best description of what most of us would consider the desired state. Like a grenade with the pin still in it, or your car's unbreached gas tank.

How to despose of fireworks.

1. Aquire deheaded 55 gallon barrel.

2. Build fire in drum.

3. Set up 4 or 5 video cameras at varying distance from barrel.

4. Dropped fireworks in barrel.

5. Run like heck..!!!

6. Share video on PoA.

Back