Emergency Landing - live

Normal rollout and taxi under control. Stupid cameraman didn't capture the touchdown.

Left mains look to be about half the size of the right.

That was boring.
No doubt to the media that this was a "crash landing", however.

now let's see some crazy rapper action...…..

Probably had retreads.

What did y'all expect? A crash? :rolleyes::)
giphy.gif

I think maybe the CL65 might be able to but I've never heard of a biz jet having fuel dump.

Certain models of the Sabreliner have fuel dump, and so does the Westwind, I've used it once.
Look at the two guarded switches in the bottom center.

IMG_5352 (1024x684).jpg

I’m on my way to get a face tattoo. Maybe that will help.
We just revised our 'visible tattoos" policy effective today. No face tats and no gauges. I felt old today.

The performer, never heard of him, never heard him. Think I'll keep it that way. Good job crew.

DC9, super 80 has no fuel dump either, just do a over weight landing inspection, no big deal.

Maybe a dumb question but, how did they know the tires blew on takeoff?
Sound? Or feel on takeoff while wheels still on the ground? Any idea?

Maybe a dumb question but, how did they know the tires blew on takeoff?
Sound? Or feel on takeoff while wheels still on the ground? Any idea?
Must have been a yaw combined with feel in the pedals of the pressure letting go. Then there's always the tire pressure sensors saying 0 psi

Must have been a yaw combined with feel in the pedals of the pressure letting go. Then there's always the tire pressure sensors saying 0 psi

Thanks. They have pressure sensor info? Seriously? How do they work? I can't think of a way one could measure pressure on a free spinning tire.
But just because I can't think of it is no impediment to it being so.

Was just thinking, in what I've seen if for example the landing gear didn't deploy they don't get green lights on the landing gear readout, so they will maybe fly past the tower to get eyes on it to confirm, etc.? But tires...they look inflated even when they aren't.

Thanks. They have pressure sensor info? Seriously? How do they work? I can't think of a way one could measure pressure on a free spinning tire.
But just because I can't think of it is no impediment to it being so.

Was just thinking, in what I've seen if for example the landing gear didn't deploy they don't get green lights on the landing gear readout, so they will maybe fly past the tower to get eyes on it to confirm, etc.? But tires...they look inflated even when they aren't.
Most modern cars now have remote tire pressure sensors. They fit into the valves and send the pressure to the computer in the car. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...f3f-57d7-815a-d5f0c124551e&pf_rd_i=2201763011

Most modern cars now have remote tire pressure sensors. They fit into the valves and send the pressure to the computer in the car. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...f3f-57d7-815a-d5f0c124551e&pf_rd_i=2201763011

Thanks, a quick look into the link. Must be a "bluetooth" type wireless connection. I assumed if it really existed it must be something like that since the rotation and all wouldn't allow wires (brushes would be a bad idea too). But is this kind of thing in airplanes as well? Would have thought it might be a lot of interference from tires to display...

Thanks for the answers.

I just saw a photo of the landing gear...it would have been easy for the tower to see those tires were GONE. I had though they might have been the same form but no pressure, looked normal, but the tower certainly could have verified these ones were not there.

Last edited:
The G4 does not have any kind of tire pressure monitoring.
I always knew Gulfsream was behind the bizjet tech curve but I figured the 4 would have sensors. In all fairness the original GIV is pretty old. I hope it's at least in the GV and newer. It's in the plane I fly so I thought the gulfstreams would have it.

I was right by RWY 19 when they departed. I didn't see anything abnormal other than they didn't bring the gear up. I was a little too far to see the difference in the tire sizes i guess. They knew right away they had a tire issue and I hope I can be that attentive and reactive if I ever need to be in the future.

I always knew Gulfsream was behind the bizjet tech curve but I figured the 4 would have sensors. In all fairness the original GIV is pretty old. I hope it's at least in the GV and newer. It's in the plane I fly so I thought the gulfstreams would have it.

What do you fly?

I was right by RWY 19 when they departed. I didn't see anything abnormal other than they didn't bring the gear up. I was a little too far to see the difference in the tire sizes i guess. They knew right away they had a tire issue and I hope I can be that attentive and reactive if I ever need to be in the future.

I updated my last post. I happened to see a pretty decent picture of the landing gear/tires from a still from a news broadcast, and think IF it was from takeoff, you wouldn't really see any of the tire, just the rim. I think it would be something you might even be able to see from the ground without binoculars. I'm just guessing, but in the photo I saw there was just a black "tire" coating on the rims...

I w
I updated my last post. I happened to see a pretty decent picture of the landing gear/tires from a still from a news broadcast, and think IF it was from takeoff, you wouldn't really see any of the tire, just the rim. I think it would be something you might even be able to see from the ground without binoculars. I'm just guessing, but in the photo I saw there was just a black "tire" coating on the rims...
I was on the side with the good tires and by the time I would have had a chance to notice the flat side it was too far ti see with the naked eye. I just found it odd they kept the gear down and I continued to watch for them to come up and as long as they were in sight they never did. Then when I went back in the FBO it was on tv that a G lost some tires on departure at TEB

We just revised our 'visible tattoos" policy effective today. No face tats and no gauges. I felt old today.

The performer, never heard of him, never heard him. Think I'll keep it that way. Good job crew.

Most places I have worked have had similar policies. Nothing on the face, neck and hands, all others must be covered by long sleeves. Covering with make up or gloves or scarves not allowed.

We have had some people walk in with weird stuff on their face. Sorry, but no thanks.

Most places I have worked have had similar policies. Nothing on the face, neck and hands, all others must be covered by long sleeves. Covering with make up or gloves or scarves not allowed.

We have had some people walk in with weird stuff on their face. Sorry, but no thanks.

I'm almost 52, and ink doesn't bother me. Some of the most talented and cool people I worked with in Silicon Valley had tons of tattoos. Granted, they were almost all engineers and "back office" people.

In fact, I'd long had getting a tattoo on my bucket list, but it wasn't until I moved back to Colorado last year that I finally did it, and got one on my right forearm. I was a little worried the higher ups in my office might object, but turns out there are several people in my office with tattoos, some visible, so mine wasn't a big deal. Although, we don't have anybody with ink on their face.

When I was younger, I was actually more conservative and would have never hired somebody with visible tattoos. But after working around so many good people with tattoos (and now myself included), I wouldn't hesitate to hire somebody good, even if they did have barbed wire on their face. To me, it all comes down to how good a person and performer they are. If they can code, sell product, interact with customers, solve problems, are pleasant to work around, get along with people...whatever the job entails...as long as they don't have something obscene showing, I'd hire them.

When I got mine done, I told the artist, I bet you don't have many 50-year-olds coming in for their first tattoo (well, except for old biker dudes), and he said you'd be surprised. Many people hitting that age figure "to hell with it!" and have figured out by that time what's meaningful enough in their life to have it permanently on their body, and go for it. I don't regret getting mine one bit.

I'm almost 52, and ink doesn't bother me. Some of the most talented and cool people I worked with in Silicon Valley had tons of tattoos. Granted, they were almost all engineers and "back office" people.

In fact, I'd long had getting a tattoo on my bucket list, but it wasn't until I moved back to Colorado last year that I finally did it, and got one on my right forearm. I was a little worried the higher ups in my office might object, but turns out there are several people in my office with tattoos, some visible, so mine wasn't a big deal. Although, we don't have anybody with ink on their face.

When I was younger, I was actually more conservative and would have never hired somebody with visible tattoos. But after working around so many good people with tattoos (and now myself included), I wouldn't hesitate to hire somebody good, even if they did have barbed wire on their face. To me, it all comes down to how good a person and performer they are. If they can code, sell product, interact with customers, solve problems, are pleasant to work around, get along with people...whatever the job entails...as long as they don't have something obscene showing, I'd hire them.

When I got mine done, I told the artist, I bet you don't have many 50-year-olds coming in for their first tattoo (well, except for old biker dudes), and he said you'd be surprised. Many people hitting that age figure "to hell with it!" and have figured out by that time what's meaningful enough in their life to have it permanently on their body, and go for it. I don't regret getting mine one bit.

Of course, it's easier to feel confident about a permanent marking on you when you are 55 and know you aren't going to have to live with it for 80-90 years. When I think of some tattoo I might have been really excited to get when I was 22, I kinda cringe at how embarrassing it would end up being now. But as you say, back in the 50's tattoos signified (or seemed to) something that just is not longer the model. Has nthing to do with a persons opinions, or abilities. It's an archaic model that some stuffier corporations seem to be stuck in, afraid that some other stuffy person will be put off by it.

Of course, it does depend on the tattoo too. Maybe that is where the real problem is, because then it can get into a freedom of speech thing and they don't want to open a can of worms with that. Imagine a cop with a swastika tattooed on his forehead. Not good. Tattoos can be art, but they can sometimes be "human bumper stickers", advocating points of view that have no place in the workplace.

Some of the most talented and cool people..... had tons of tattoos

At the time when I was on the hiring board resumes we received did not include pictures. But job descriptions were there and it included no visible tattoos. Yet they would still come in with markings on their neck and face. One girl walked in and had her face spotted up to look like a Dalmatian dog.
th

I never said that marked up people are not good at their chosen profession. But in the face of the money spending public it is sometimes more professional to not look like an escapee from the worlds worst carnival. Unless said person is a seller of carnival products, I would expect that person to be tattooed.

Personally if the surgeon that is about to cut into my heart looks like his other job might be biting heads off live chickens for a quarter, I would probably want someone else.

Then again, I am one of those weird folks that doesn't follow a crowd or try to look like everyone seen in movies. What is inside me makes me feel good about myself. I don't need anything on me to make me feel good about myself. Not judging, that is just the way I am.

I blew the nose wheel on a C-172, just as I was rotating. The plane shook enough for me to notice, but I thought it was just the wind.
Imagine my surprise when I landed.

Back