Overhead bins on a 777

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
Why are the overhead bins on a 777 so tiny? It seems you can fit more overhead luggage in a 737 than in a 777.

Why are the overhead bins on a 777 so tiny? It seems you can fit more overhead luggage in a 737 than in a 777.
The 777 is so large, it just makes the overhead bins look small :)

All kidding aside, which airlines? My understanding is that airlines can customize their planes.
It also seems the ratio of people to bins is greater on the 777 compared to the 737. My experience with 777 is international flights and people seem to take more stuff with them on those flights, so the bins fill up faster.

The last few flights, the bins near my seat were filled with airline/crew items. I wish Boeing would design space for that sort of stuff but I'm not sure where it they could put it either.

The 777 is so large, it just makes the overhead bins look small :)

All kidding aside, which airlines? My understanding is that airlines can customize their planes.
It also seems the ratio of people to bins is greater on the 777 compared to the 737. My experience with 777 is international flights and people seem to take more stuff with them on those flights, so the bins fill up faster.

The last few flights, the bins near my seat were filled with airline/crew items. I wish Boeing would design space for that sort of stuff but I'm not sure where it they could put it either.
Everyone's favorite airline: United.

I can get my carryon easily into a Southwest 737 but only the inside bins of a United 777. The outside bins are ridiculously small. Not a matter of other people's stuff. The bin is not physically big enough.

I've run into that problem, as well. On more than one airline. What is particularly annoying is that in those cases I had a seat that did not have a seat in front of it, so all my carry-ons had to go in the overhead bin, which was full of either FA's luggage or emergency supplies (which didn't used to be the case with that airline and model aircraft). FA was nasty about it, too.

I can get my carryon easily into a Southwest 737 but only the inside bins of a United 777. The outside bins are ridiculously small. Not a matter of other people's stuff. The bin is not physically big enough.
Probably a combination of how the airline arranged the bins and the age of the aircraft as well.
Some differences seen here:
0411999.jpg

0879543.jpg

In the second image, the center, aft, bins appear larger. My experience on UAL is that the roll-aboards wind up sitting sideways in the window bins.

Never had any issues on Emirates 777’s. Those overhead bins were huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They weren't designed for 10 abreast seating like United has in them. I think both Continental (3-3-3) and United's (2-5-2) 777's were 9 abreast originally in pleb class. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it adds up...

Last edited:
I’ll be on a Delta 777 in a couple of hours. If I remember, I’ll post what I find.

Air Nippon 777 a couple of days ago seemed to have bigger bins above the center seats. - it was 10 across. Sardines.

Just crossed the pond in a Lufthansa A330. Luggage fit perfectly. So it’s just United then. Not surprising.

They weren't designed for 10 abreast seating like United has in them. I think both Continental (3-3-3) and United's (2-5-2) 777's were 9 abreast originally in pleb class. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it adds up...
We were on a 3-4-3 layout. Pretty miserable and it was packed to the gills.

Larger bins are heavier when full and therefore harder to close, especially when your FA staff consists of the golden girls.

Put an urn with granny's ashes in the overhead and nobody says a word.
Try to put a body bag containing Uncle Sal in the overhead and everybody loses their minds.

I have a rollaboard case that conforms to whatever minimum standard there is for overhead bins on international flights. It has just enough room for a shirt and a toothbrush.

Iow your bag is too big.

EVA's bins seemed about normal size....had plenty of room for my helmet, backpack and small backpack sized carryon.

We were on a 3-4-3 layout. Pretty miserable and it was packed to the gills.

Yes, UA's 777s were originally 2-5-2 seating. Loved that, my wife and I would get an outboard pair and not have to worry about somebody getting the non-existent seat between us. Then they went to 3-3-3 seating. I don't know why, but we didn't like that as much. Now they've gone to 3-4-3 seating, and NealRomeoGolf is right. I wouldn't say it is pretty miserable though, I would say it sucks. We'll have that on the SFO-HNL leg in January. I hope nobody takes the seat between us.

Back