Southeast to New England - NYC Area transition

Hang 4

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Hang 4
Piper Archer with good avionics (/G) and AP. Looking to fly from ATL area to Rhode Island, Boston area. Routing seems easy most of the way except for getting through NYC area. Options seem to be
- Stay above all the Bravo (top is 7,000)
- Take the Hudson route and go east once past WHP
- Work with ATC and get a Bravo transition
- Stay west and north of everything and add a ton of time to the trip

Would use FF for the flight regardless of routing.

Assuming one of the first three, was planning stay east of DC SFRA and do fuel stop somewhere in NJ to have plenty of fuel to get to either WST or OWD.

Thoughts?

If you're going all the way to Westerly or beyond, I usually just fly over Bravo. However, if the ceilings are lower, I just transition it. They're usually pretty accommodating if your at 4500 or higher. Any lower than that, well, they might be less so... FF for sure but they usually won't hand you off. Then you've got like 5 miles until you hit Bravo and you're frantically trying to get their attention. Depending on the time of day of course. In general, they're good but when busy, they just don't have time to deal with indecisiveness.

Second option - do the Hudson River SFRA through NY/NJ Bravo - it's super easy and usually open even during potus TFRs.
No need to avoid DC SFRA - just stay out of the FRZ.
For refuel - KMIV (in NJ) has an on-field restaurant as does KOXC (in CT). Several others do as well, but those are my favorites.

I'd go over the top of the B if you can. If they try to dick you around, you can just cancel advisories and not worry about being in the B.

Thanks - the 7,000 top helps a lot. Here in ATL top is 12,500 so going above isn't a practical option. I'd love to do the Hudson, but not sure I want the stress the first time. Both wife's and my family are in New England, so will be doing the trip a couple times a year hopefully.

The controllers are, in my experience, very accommodating especially if you make appropriate and concise calls

47N has cheap self-serve fuel. 7000 is fine low-stress option if ceilings permit, SFRA (I like skyline route at 1500) is very scenic and worth it especially if you've never done it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Take a look at https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...ning-magazine/road-trip-hudson-river-corridor

Reading up beforehand will make it simple and pleasant. Skyline route almost always granted if no Yankees Game and you are under Bravo control so you don't have to do much other than comply with the altitudes and frequencies they give you. Just be sure you know the rules in case you have to go below Bravo either for w weather out because they don't grant you clearance-although usually no problem.

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Depends if you're going IFR. In my experience it doesn't really matter what you file, you always end up going to the West around LAAYK or V1 over the top of JFK at 6000 / 7000 ft.

For me, even when I've been given a different routing on departure, there's a point somewhere around Atlantic City where someone says "standby to copy a full route"

I find the NY controllers extremely accommodating.

The Hudson River corridor is great, but it's more fun to do as a sightseeing trip, than in the middle of a long cross country. The skyline route is less stressful if you can get it.

If you do go over the top VFR, I recommend flight following. I went over the top at 8500 once and it was a lot busier than IFR over JFK due to traffic climbing out from LGA.

Done it many times go at 7500 or 8500, go ACY - JFK - BDR or similar. Easy. They like you right over the top of JFK for obvious reasons...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back