Chicago - Skyline Tour

Bman.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bman.
Evening all - I am heading up to Chicago a day early (before the weather shows up) and thought it would great to do the skyline tour. I have checked the notams and see there is an airshow going on. If I shop up after 4pm tomorrow, I might give the shoreline view a go. Questions:

1) I see you can contact app 120.55 north of O'hare. Will they keep me on that same freq if I head south, turn around and head back to Executive (KPWK)?

2) Anything else I need to know other than at or below 2500' and keep you eyes pealed for traffic at all times?

Thanks
Benjamin

Evening all - I am heading up to Chicago a day early (before the weather shows up) and thought it would great to do the skyline tour. I have checked the notams and see there is an airshow going on. If I shop up after 4pm tomorrow, I might give the shoreline view a go. Questions:

1) I see you can contact app 120.55 north of O'hare. Will they keep me on that same freq if I head south, turn around and head back to Executive (KPWK)?

2) Anything else I need to know other than at or below 2500' and keep you eyes pealed for traffic at all times?

Thanks
Benjamin
Call them on that frequency and let them know your intentions, they will switch frequencies around navy pier but will be more than accommodating. Just be aware of the bravo and other traffic. Otherwise enjoy the sights

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks - I am looking forward to it.
Studying up on KPWK now too.. crazy airport diagram.

It's not as bad as it seems. The controllers are super helpful there. Ask for help if you need it they are happy to give it.
Thanks - I am looking forward to it.
Studying up on KPWK now too.. crazy airport diagram.

So now that I am thinking about it, does KPWK ground dish up transponder code/FF given the proximity to the Class B? I was heading out Bowman near Louisville and it was almost given with the direction of fdepartures, they want you on the scope and ready for departure control / class C transition.

I suspect ATIS will mention to head over to C&D otherwise.

Chicago approach will give you a code when you call up but once you get close enough to pwk on the way in they will terminate with you. Executive usually doesn't give out codes unless it's very busy or the one controller is working. He loves his codes. You can transition kmdw class c but usually approach will tell you to remain clear of all airspace unless you ask.
So now that I am thinking about it, does KPWK ground dish up transponder code/FF given the proximity to the Class B? I was heading out Bowman near Louisville and it was almost given with the direction of fdepartures, they want you on the scope and ready for departure control / class C transition.

I suspect ATIS will mention to head over to C&D otherwise.

Cool - It looks like make your turnout however directed and remain below 2000'. I will be heading west ultimately.
I imagine every turns out northerly no matter who you are.

Cool - It looks like make your turnout however directed and remain below 2000'. I will be heading west ultimately.
I imagine every turns out northerly no matter who you are.
Yeah you'll be headed north before you can turn. They won't let you in the bravo off executive without prior arrangement typically at least the surface shelf.

I did my night XC through there and did the lake shore tour. We landed at Executive, grabbed a car and went for pizza. Controllers were very accommodating. We came in from the NW and left the same way. No issues at all. Watching the planes come in through the Bravo was a sight to see at night. Enjoy!

Back