182T in Wisconsin

I think it was posted elsewhere, tragic no doubt. The weather was rather bad at the time, 200-400’ ceiling or thereabouts. As we know, options are more limited under such conditions, safety margins reduced. No idea what happened, just stating the obvious.

Seemed like a pretty lousy day to fly. The destination was only 100 miles away by interstate.

Seemed like a pretty lousy day to fly. The destination was only 100 miles away by interstate.
Grandma was a commercial instrument rated pilot, the winds were mild, should have been no big deal. Grandma was also 81, and it was her plane. Her obit states, "The crash was a result of mechanical failure", a statement of fact not in evidence-yet. It will be interesting to see what actually happened.

Agreed re: NTSB report. Just thinking that if it's a crummy day with reported visibility at arrival airport at or below minimums, trying to find a good place to land in the event of mechanical failure would be extremely dicey. Added to that, loved ones on board would make not taking off and risk avoidance the best decision regardless of pilot and plane capability. Easy to Monday morning quarterback, though. Very sad situation, I can't imagine the families' pain.

Agreed re: NTSB report. Just thinking that if it's a crummy day with reported visibility at arrival airport at or below minimums, trying to find a good place to land in the event of mechanical failure would be extremely dicey. Added to that, loved ones on board would make not taking off and risk avoidance the best decision regardless of pilot and plane capability. Easy to Monday morning quarterback, though. Very sad situation, I can't imagine the families' pain.
Yeah, something went south; there are farm fields surrounding the little bit of trees they went into. Of course, if a loss-of-control was involved it likely didn't matter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back