Sky Beacon- STC approved, NOW shipping

I don't think this is right. It has 3 wires: Nav power, nav ground and strobe power. If you don't have a strobe, you just don't attach that wire (per the rep at the booth). It does not require or appear to even support unswitched power. You do, in fact, just leave your nav lights on all the time. Of course, that presents an issue for those who have dimmer circuits on the nav light switch (which then dim the gear indicator lights).

never mind.

Last edited:
I'm really neither trying to be pedantic nor argumentative. Both TSO and PMA are APPROVALS, not certifications. There is no such thing as TSO certification.

PMS, now, is a whole different story :cheerswine:

Jim

That is my understanding. The only reason it has a separate nav wire is to retain the ability to switch the nav lights off. If you leave the nav on permanent 'on' (collar the switch, bypass the dimmer), then you both adsb and nav light are 'always on'.

The wiring diagram, and the unit itself (which I looked at last week), is inconsistent with your understanding. There is no provision for switched and unswitched power. There is only one power in wire, one strobe power in wire (optional), and a ground wire. The Power in is connected to the existing switched nav lights, per the install instructions. If you want strobes, you connect the strobe power in to a switched strobe power line.

The wiring diagram, and the unit itself (which I looked at last week), is inconsistent with your understanding. There is no provision for switched and unswitched power. There is only one power in wire, one strobe power in wire (optional), and a ground wire. The Power in is connected to the existing switched nav lights, per the install instructions. If you want strobes, you connect the strobe power in to a switched strobe power line.

Ah, so they have an LED strobe. Not sure their install instructions are terribly clear.

They're instructions are definitely not clear as to operation and how it actually works. Yes they very well explained how to attach it, but not how it was intended to work. They set zero expectations as to what remains on and when something is off.

They're instructions are definitely not clear as to operation and how it actually works. Yes they very well explained how to attach it, but not how it was intended to work. They set zero expectations as to what remains on and when something is off.

Agree the instructions aren't a model of clarity. But when you look at the wiring, and talk to the folks at the booth, it becomes clear that it's literally intended to use the existing wiring only. You just have to leave the Nav lights on all the time. There is no other option for wiring it, even if you ran a dedicated wire. Which makes it dead-simple to install, save for the dimmer circuit issue for those with it.

If you would like strobes, but do not have them on the wings can u hook the yellow strobe power line up to the red positive power source or do u have to cap it off?

from the PDF:
WIRING CONSIDERATIONS
Connect the red wire to the switched power wire.
Connecting the black wire to the aircraft structure should be suitable but it may be necessary to connect the black wire to the battery ground in some cases.
Connect the yellow wire to the strobe switch. The strobe power supply must be bypassed for the skyBeacon.
Connecting skyBeacon to the strobe power supply will damage the device.

I asked one of the uAvionix reps at OSH regarding the requirement for running the NAV lights at all times. He said this was a relatively new FAA requirement to which I pleaded ignorance to. After researching I don't see any new requirement for NAV lights, however 91.209 (b) does say:

"Operate an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light system, unless it has lighted anticollision lights. However, the anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to turn the lights off."

So it may be that the ADSB components draw power from the NAV circuit or the strobe circuit. Perhaps the STC will require NAV and/or stobes to be lighted at all times? It will be interesting to see what make/models are covered by the STC...

You guys are making this way to hard.

Connect the Bacon Beacon to you nav light power (assuming you have nav lights). Leave the switch on when the engine is running. Or just leave it on all the time and rely on the master to turn things off. Yes, the nav lights will be on. Not a big deal. Not an FAA requirement. Not prohibited by the FAA. Use LED bulbs in the other two holes and they won't burn out in your lifetime.
Connect the strobe wire to you strobe switch. Turn it on when you want it on. If you have no other "anti collision" light then you should have that on purd near all the time also.

Idahoflier gets the question, others who keep publishing the hook-up instructions not so much.

Seems like the install directions are self-evident, but I've learned the hard way to ask for clarity.

The SkyBeacon documentation needs to clearly state the operation limitations and expectations. E.g. That your Nav lights are always on, or your sync'ed strobe flasher is now inop.

Last edited:
This is something that the FAA should let aircraft owners install (we are allowed to mess with landing lights, service oleos, and some other scattered odds and ends.) Gonna guess that three screws and three wires would cost three Benjamins at my local shop.

Every ADSB installation requires a 337 with IA signature so it won't be free but you might find one that will supervise your work.

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipad...B_Out-In_Installation_Tech_Paper(9-25-17).pdf

Last edited:
Every ADSB installation requires a 337 (minor) with IA signature so it won't be free but you might find one that will supervise your work.

FWIW, if it requires a 337 it's not a minor alteration.

It says they're not shipping until September... Also not much word on the tailbeacon and their website is lagging behind a bit. Not sure if anyone else has heard any more on this.

It says they're not shipping until September... Also not much word on the tailbeacon and their website is lagging behind a bit. Not sure if anyone else has heard any more on this.

My one and only question at their booth was "when?" for the tailbacon. They replied FAA okay expected by December, shipping about a month after that.

My one and only question at their booth was "when?" for the tailbacon. They replied FAA okay expected by December, shipping about a month after that.
The tailbeacon is definitely my preference. Don't wanna screw with my existing wingtip lights and strobes which are integrated into one unit and definitely don't want to leave them on during the day.

It'd be easy to run a separate power wire to the tail, or place the existing power wire on a separate circuit, to operate the unit and always leave it on when all other lights (except the beacon) are off during the day or when taxiing.

The rep at the booth said you power off the Nav lights and the Nav lights always have to be on. If you don’t have strobes you can connect the other wire to the Nav light also but the strobes will always be on. They expect to have an In system set up with the other Nav light by Q4. When asked they said they are likely to make a matching Nav light only by early next year for those that want a matching Nav light but that already have an In source.

For those that don’t want to have to replace both Nav lights or that their units don’t fit they will have the tail beacon version soon. The rep said their approach was to get the approval for the sky beacon first and then to piggyback off that approval to get everything else approved.

I ended up buying the Stratus ESGI.

Gary

The rep I talked to said they were working on the Tail Beacon for helicopters, so it was taking a little longer. Not sure how much more effort that is. He said December, so I’ll hope to be able to buy it by Oshkosh next year.

This is the correct information. The strobe wire is piggybacked to the nav power wire and the strobe is controlled via the app for the skybeacon (on/off).

The rep at the booth said you power off the Nav lights and the Nav lights always have to be on. If you don’t have strobes you can connect the other wire to the Nav light also but the strobes will always be on. They expect to have an In system set up with the other Nav light by Q4. When asked they said they are likely to make a matching Nav light only by early next year for those that want a matching Nav light but that already have an In source.

For those that don’t want to have to replace both Nav lights or that their units don’t fit they will have the tail beacon version soon. The rep said their approach was to get the approval for the sky beacon first and then to piggyback off that approval to get everything else approved.

I ended up buying the Stratus ESGI.

Gary

Garmin is drooling

If they start shipping units, I might get on the bandwagon early before Garmin screws this thing up for everybody. I wasn't planning on buying until late 2019, but the lawsuit might change things. Oh, yeah, and F Garmin.

FAA Cert yesterday on the wing model .... preordered today a tail beacon. Yes we have to wait at least till next month, but hey I waited two and a half years for the Tesla we finally got last month. I hate being patient, but it looks like the right choice for a VFR 172 and use a Stratus 3 and a couple of Ipad minis. Will report back after I have replaced the tail light and 2 screws :).

My only concern would be ease of theft. Is there anything in the ADSB-out signal that can make a stolen unit pretty obvious to controllers (i.e., Tail Beacon broadcasts N12345 and the thief can’t change it)?

My only concern would be ease of theft. Is there anything in the ADSB-out signal that can make a stolen unit pretty obvious to controllers (i.e., Tail Beacon broadcasts N12345 and the thief can’t change it)?

All ADS-B out units are configured with the tail number that is translated into a hex code, which is broadcast as part of the out signal. The uAvionics wing and tail units are configured via an iDevice app. I would think there is some type of authentication to perform the configuration but your concern is valid, if not.

Sky beacon STC received. Shipping should follow soon.

Sky beacon STC received. Shipping should follow soon.

I got an email from them today that says they are waiting on signatures from the FAA after having some technical issue during the STC flight(s). Waiting on the FAA is not an exact science...I wouldn't hold my breath! I have one on preorder btw. Have a great day!

Paul

Agree Paul, hopefully we're talking days vs months. Fingers crossed

Their email update certainly suggests that the TailBeacon may be awhile

I got the impression from the email that the tail beacon was not going to be certified for a very long time if at all. Not sure why that would be but I'm going to look into a wingtip adapter for the sky beacon. I think I can get one 3D printed for less than what they are asking though.

from the e-mail:
"What about tailBeacon???

One thing we've learned from all of your questions, is that tailBeacon is going to be very popular. One reason for this is that there is some uncertainly of whether skyBeacon will fit your wingtip, and a second reason is because you may be looking for symmetry with a matching right-side light.

We've tried to address both items in this newsletter. With the AML and fairing adapters, we have tried to address the fitment questions. See the next section for some news on our skyLight matching right side light.

tailBeacon IS coming, but has been delayed due to the delays for skyBeacon. We've communicated previously that tailBeacon is a spin-off of the skyBeacon certification - so necessarily we needed to complete the STC first. tailBeacon is the next priority.

We still expect to achieve the tailBeacon TSO by the end of the year, but the STC will likely push into early Q1 of 2019. The STC can present some interesting challenges due to its installation on a control surface. We will get there, but if you are anxious about reserving your $500 rebate while the FAA funding still lasts - your best bet is to go with skyBeacon."

I still feel on my 172 the stc will be an easier install and since we are still a year out I am the pollyanna :)

email from them says immediate shipping!

email from them says immediate shipping!
Yea Badger I just got off the phone with them. Looks like within the next two weeks the shipments will go out. They have to put together each bit of paperwork per that last email that asked us to fill out the specific info for our aircraft.

Paul

I don't want to be the first one my avionics shop installs!
Their web site says 1 hour for install including paperwork, that sounds reasonable.

Back