Emotional support pets...

@benyflyguy -- I've sent you several PM's about a letter for my emotional support Pomeranian.

NOT!

I agree it's abused. I don't mind paying $150 each way to have Autumn with me.

Some will argue, but this practice is the same as misusing handicap parking stickers.

But haven't those kids always existed? What's different now?

The entitled culture of the parents.

If your dog can’t behave for whatever reason, you don’t bring it into public spaces, if your kid can’t behave don’t bring it into public spaces.

Sadly some kids have mental issues, and I really feel bad for them and their parents, I hope they get the help they need, HOWEVER that doesn’t make you any less of a self entitled jerk when you bring them into a nice restaurant, or onto a small confided space with other people. Sorry.

il_570xN.1128810221_4ee2.jpg

Actually, that’s not a animal it’s a reptile lol

Last edited:
@benyflyguy -- I've sent you several PM's about a letter for my emotional support Pomeranian.

NOT!

I agree it's abused. I don't mind paying $150 each way to have Autumn with me.

Some will argue, but this practice is the same as misusing handicap parking stickers.

I agree with that. I had a patient come in to get a paper filled out for a dog that she didn’t ever purchase yet!! Wanted it because she couldn’t get s dog unless she could take to California to visit family.
There are plenty of ppl who have physical and mental disabilities for which the system is designed to hopefully not fail. But ppl have found ways to abuse that system. But the abuse of the masses will ultimately hurt the ppl that need the system’s support.
We had a dog at our local hospital bite a nurse last year!

I think my wife is the emotional support animal for her dogs. They seem to be depressed whenever she is gone. Can they get a letter from the vet saying they have to travel with her?

http://observer.com/2018/08/southwest-airlines-tightens-service-animal-rules-but-mini-horses-are-ok/

We have horses, big ones, and they crap about three times an hour, do the math and they fart like crazy. Do you want to be on that plane for three hours? Think about it,it is bad enough when some one lets loose and it waifs through the plane, now we have dogs, cats and horses ripping.
As my Grandpa used to say..."The horse that farts will never tire, the man that farts is the man to hire!"

Years ago it was much more common for the mentally disabled kids to be in an institution.
Or to bring them out in public.

I'd rather deal with a kid with a problem on board than a miniature horse that someone thinks they need for emotional support. I like animals, but really?

But haven't those kids always existed? What's different now?

Whether they always existed or not is a matter of debate. Its not a foregone conclusion. One possible difference could be that parents are not willing to keep their mentally disabled kids locked up in a room, as many used to do in the old days to save embarrassment. Hence you see them more in public. That's one possible explanation.

Put me in a plane full of dogs before a plane full of kids...

...every time!

There’s always this...
When I first saw the thumbnail, I thought it was a skunk. That's the emotional support animal for Southwest. Nobody will take the empty seat next to me and my emotional support skunk. Heck, I might get an entire row to myself!

Americans with disabilities act requires one to make reasonable accommodations.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) does not require the acceptance of emotional support animals (ESAs). In fact, it specifically excludes ESAs.

The ADA does not cover airlines. Airlines are covered by the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA). The ACAA is 14 CFR 382.

The ACAA does require airlines to accommodate ESAs though it allows some limits and the requirement for documentation.

Back