Composite Prop Care?

sourdough44

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
WI Flyer
Back when I had a metal prop, I would occasionally wipe it with a light coat of oil, nothing crazy. It reminded me of care one may give their favorite shotgun at times.

With a composite prop, MT in this case, I don’t see much mention besides cleaning with mild soapy water? Besides that, anything to keep a composite prop looking clean, shiny & new? Can’t help but think there may be a ‘wax’ of some type to use? This all assumes the prop is clean 1st.

I’m not talking about looking for nicks or any type of maintenance, just casual care from the owner. I haven’t seen much mention with a net search.

Go to the MT website. Look under service docs and find your prop. Read the associated info and proceed from there. Any questions contact MT directly. Good people. Composite props are not as forgiving as metal props when it comes to cleaning up.

The M/T is painted. Treat it like any painted surface. I have had many composite props and I just use a microfiber rag and some spray detailer.

I use the usual cleaners for removing bugs. Since mine is in the exhaust, I use something for carbon as well. Sometimes a good cleaner wax works fine.

I did see some wax mentioned for a composite prop on an airboat I thought.

That is a painful picture above, with the traffic cone. It looks hard on the wallet.

If the rain is heavy enough to damage the prop, I think I’d rather be elsewhere anyway.

The metal leading edge is painted on mine and likely many others if not all...
The MT docs even have a limit on paint erosion permissible before the metal leading edge is at risk or water intrusion to the wood core is a risk.

I have a metal leading edge,have had to have the prop overhauled three times in 1500 hrs. Each time I was informed I should avoid flying in any rain except mist.

I'll stick with metal props. "Do not fly through rain" nonsense is not acceptable

Unless you don’t have the metal leading edge, there’s no issues with rain. Same as helicopter blades. Far more pros than cons with composite vs metal.

+1

I took FOD through a blade that made a nasty looking gash. Little fiberglass, epoxy and 36 hours later it was good to go. Had it been a metal prop, I'd be buying a new prop.

+1

I took FOD through a blade that made a nasty looking gash. Little fiberglass, epoxy and 36 hours later it was good to go. Had it been a metal prop, I'd be buying a new prop.

6C7AA840-34A0-476C-AA56-FB19973847D9.jpeg

This is from a cowling screw. Epoxy flox and almost good as new. Hoping to upgrade to a Catto Nickel prop in the future just for the rain properties. Since I rarely fly through rain, it’s not a critical issue right now.

Hoping to upgrade to a Catto Nickel prop in the future just for the rain properties.

As am I.

I have a SS leading edge on my MT. They also have nickel now. If I'm still swinging an MT when it's time to OH, I'll have a nickel leading edge installed.

Back