Stuck Mic Avcast discusses Safety Pilot

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
A good overview of the information about Safety Pilot. @RussR is one of the participants.

http://stuckmicavcast.com/safety/smac184-good-safety-pilot/

The idea came out of some of the discussions here and on AOPA.

26733.jpg

Thanks for the episode idea (and the plug) @AggieMike88 ! We did have a good chat about the rules, who can be a safety pilot, who can log what and when, how Basic Med fits in, and what you should talk about before hand. We hope you enjoy the episode!

when you read the regs it gets difficult when it’s time to log it!
You're correct that just reading the regs 61.51 and 91.109, the language can cause confusion in a hurry. @RussR and the podcast gang did a good job of explaining the requirements and ins-outs of when and what you can log.

@RussR .... Carl made a comment about "what, when, why, how of logging time should be its own episode". Big agreement on that idea. With so many new pilots working their way up to one day have a flying career, accuracy in the logbook is important. Hopefully you guys will record that one in the near future.

I've nearly completed my safety pilot rating.
~20 hours to go. Expensive but worth it.

I listened to it. Learned some stuff and got some ideas. Thing I thought that was left out that has always bothered me when the all ya gotta be is Category and Class rated thing comes up. Safety pilot is there to watch for traffic. Maybe more, but looking for traffic is mandatory. Not often, but does happen that traffic is first seen at very close range. Like it just almost filled up the window close. No time to say "hey there's some traffic, you should turn about 20 degrees left or whatever. No time to say I've got the controls and wait for the flying to respond with ok, your controls. There is only time to grab the yoke and do something like Right NOW!! I think its wise that the Safety Pilot is somewhat familiar the plane and it's control surface responses

I think its wise that the Safety Pilot is somewhat familiar the plane and it's control surface responses
That makes sense.

I guess during the flight and before applying the hood, the left seater can provide the right seater some stick time and let them get a feel for the controls.

I listened to it. Learned some stuff and got some ideas. Thing I thought that was left out that has always bothered me when the all ya gotta be is Category and Class rated thing comes up. Safety pilot is there to watch for traffic. Maybe more, but looking for traffic is mandatory. Not often, but does happen that traffic is first seen at very close range. Like it just almost filled up the window close. No time to say "hey there's some traffic, you should turn about 20 degrees left or whatever. No time to say I've got the controls and wait for the flying to respond with ok, your controls. There is only time to grab the yoke and do something like Right NOW!! I think its wise that the Safety Pilot is somewhat familiar the plane and it's control surface responses

That's good feedback, thanks. I had thought one of us had mentioned that's it's good to be familiar with the airplane, but perhaps not, or not as clearly as you put it!

Back