Categories of ILS

Stets66

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stets656
Looking for some information or references that will tell me the differences between CAT I, II, and III ILS approaches. Like who can do which one, required equipment and required weather. Thanks

AIM

Airman Information Manual, a wealth of info in that thar document.

Does anybody do research on their own anymore? A quick Google search returned a lot of results on this question.

I was scanning thru the AIM and other than the minimums the only thing I found was a Note that said “special authorization and equipment required for Category II and III.” So, it’s if you have to ask, then you ain’t

Does anybody do research on their own anymore? A quick Google search returned a lot of results on this question.
Ironically, a quick google search of your question (about whether anybody does their own research anymore) doesn’t find any useful results. So I guess the answer is no. :)

Edit to add: Or yes.

It seems like the OP was just trying to start a discussion on a discussion board.

I was scanning thru the AIM and other than the minimums the only thing I found was a Note that said “special authorization and equipment required for Category II and III.” So, it’s if you have to ask, then you ain’t

Exactly, unless you are flying Part 121 or 135 and your companies operating manual allows it and you have been trained for it, you are not doing Category II and III approaches. Generally speaking, it requires the aircraft and aircrew be certified, and usually requires the aircraft to have autopilot and navigation redundencies, as I believe the II as well as the III can not be hand flown.

Exactly, unless you are flying Part 121 or 135 and your companies operating manual allows it and you have been trained for it, you are not doing Category II and III approaches. Generally speaking, it requires the aircraft and aircrew be certified, and usually requires the aircraft to have autopilot and navigation redundencies, as I believe the II as well as the III can not be hand flown.

II has the landing hand flown at 100', minimums. At least the airline I was at did it that way, with the AP and FO monitoring and flying until that point. Then if Captain had it visual they'd disconnect the AP and land it. Yea certification of pilots and required operational and redundant equipment required.

Cat III has autoland in addition to crew qualification and redundant equipment such as APs.

There are provisions for getting Cat II authorization under Part 91, and doing it without autopilot...I can’t remember which airport, but the first Cat II approach into one of the Los Angeles basin airports was a Cessna 170 under Part 91 (a well-equipped 170, but a 170 nonetheless).

It seems like the OP was just trying to start a discussion on a discussion board.
This is no place for that kind of behavior.

What happens here is you post a question and 50% of the people tell you that you should have googled it. 25% will tell you it's a stupid question and the other 25% will make puns.

It's the POA way.

I guess, but he didn’t really ask a question or opinion for discussing, but rather for a resource he can look at. Lots of articles and information very quick by just a google search.

This is no place for that kind of behavior.

What happens here is you post a question and 50% of the people tell you that you should have googled it. 25% will tell you it's a stupid question and the other 25% will make puns.

It's the POA way.
Not at all. This was the first time I’ve said that comment. Don’t take what I said the wrong way, as I didn’t get the original post to be asking for a discussion, but simply wanting to know where he could find something that could be answered by a quick Google search.

That’s not true. One of the based airplanes at an old hangout airport had a debonair that he had a cat II authorization in. Every six months he went to the fsdo to maintain his authorization.

Not at all. This was the first time I’ve said that comment. Don’t take what I said the wrong way, as I didn’t get the original post to be asking for a discussion, but simply wanting to know where he could find something that could be answered by a quick Google search.

He did say "Looking for some information OR references..." Information is rolling in along with references and some punchlines. The system is working.

It's up to CAT IIIC now. D will be no pilots allowed in cockpit
New to me. I knew they fly cat III b in Europe. What’s the c? Never mind, I’ll google it.
Saw a video of a airbus landing somewhere in England , the pilot had his arms crossed the entire time.

Nope. That’s the problem I ave with students. They google stuff. Sometimes get the wrong answer. No one wants to take the time to go into all the nice books that provide all the necessary information.
Laziness is the way in aviation these days.

Nope. That’s the problem I ave with students. They google stuff. Sometimes get the wrong answer. No one wants to take the time to go into all the nice books that provide all the necessary information.
Laziness is the way in aviation these days.
Not like you’ll always get the right answer by asking here either.

But that would require typing a question into a block and then having to decide which of the results were correct and which ones were wrong.

New to me. I knew they fly cat III b in Europe. What’s the c? Never mind, I’ll google it.
Saw a video of a airbus landing somewhere in England , the pilot had his arms crossed the entire time.

C is zero zero. No DA, no Visibility/RVR requirement. D was a joke. Like the dog one. The cockpit of the future is one pilot and one dog. The pilot is there to feed the dog. The dog is there to bite the pilot if he tries to touch anything

C is zero zero. No DA, no Visibility/RVR requirement. D was a joke. Like the dog one. The cockpit of the future is one pilot and one dog. The pilot is there to feed the dog. The dog is there to bite the pilot if he tries to touch anything
Don’t laugh, there is a push to eliminate the big expense in the front end of airplanes.

Back