Announcing position while driving home

GreatLakesFlying

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leo
Is it just me (new pilot syndrome) or others too talk to themselves while driving home, announcing pattern positions as you get closer: left downwind, left base, final?

Can’t say that I do, but I yell clear prop before starting my car.

Last edited:
Damn... been out of GA flying so long I forgot what it’s like to be excited by it.
On my way home from the airport I’m thinking about how many minutes until my bourbon & cigar.

The only time I ever mixed flying and driving was when I was really pushing myself and started looking out the window of the plane for the rear view mirrors before I would start a turn.

I do have to admit that once during primary training I had several days in a row of long flying and loved it. But as I was driving home one day I tried to pull back on the steering wheel to slow down and went into a momentary panic when it didn't work.

No, but when I'm in the airplane I signal the blinkers when I make turns in the pattern.
Me too except I back it up with hand signals. Belt and suspenders, don't ya know...

Well officer, just before I rear ended him I was turning to the right. I dunno what happened

I hear over on reddit they were talking about a guy who called in a ‘pirep’ while driving in fog.

No, but I have found myself “taxiing” the car with the wheels straddling the center line.

Like to keep my portable on approach freq. when driving home.

No, but I do announce when I'm cleared the active, back taxiing or when I'm "position and hold"

And that's another good reason why it's "position and hold" and never "line up and wait!!!"

And I'm sure as any good pilot, you always have an alternate field in your plan.

Drive on the center lane immediately after leaving airport, say out loud clear left or right before turning while driving

Am I allowed to make right hand turns approaching my driveway or must they all be to the left?

Am I allowed to make right hand turns approaching my driveway or must they all be to the left?

That depends, what does FAR/AIM equivalent of driving say? Remember, regulation is not optional even if u don’t turn your phone off when u get on a plane

You are unfortunately in NC where the license plate motto should be "But I like the left lane."

Yep. Never seen it as bad as here when it comes to obstinate folks in the left lane who just refuse to move over to the right. That is until they’re about 100’ from their exit then they attempt the three lane cross over to the ramp maneuver and totally eff up traffic for everyone else. I’m surprised there aren’t more multi car pile ups than there are.

Don’t get me started on traffic circles / roundabouts either. It’s all “lawdy mamma, what I do now?”.

Worst state I've ever been in for this is Nebraska...and I've been all over. Ohio isn't too far behind.
Having lived in 4 states and driven in others (as well as a few foreign countries) NC is at the top of my list on this one.

After a few weeks here, I thought, "my gawd! I'm I'm Massachusetts again!"

Having lived in 4 states and driven in others (as well as a few foreign countries) NC is at the top of my list on this one.

After a few weeks here, I thought, "my gawd! I'm I'm Massachusetts again!"

NC and VA do their damndest to imitate yankee states.

NC is at the top of my list on this one.

Been a long time since I've driven over there but that's not surprising.

The thing about Nebraska is that, comparatively speaking, there is NO ONE on the roads. But I'd still regularly get behind two people running side-by-side, slowing dancing with each other on 29 or 80. And, of course, doing less than the speed limit. I used to blast down/across those highways 10 years ago or so when I had projects in Watertown, SD and Grand Island.

As an aside, about 6 years ago, We went on a six week road trip. From Mo to the 6y9 fly-in. Then across the northern tier of states on hwy 2 to Glacier, then down to Yellowstone, then back to the Badlands, then home, with numerous other stops in-betwixt.

We didn't see a state rod from the time we left Deluth, MN until we made the complete round and rolled back into Souix Falls, SD. Saw local yokels passing thru towns but no state rods. It was pretty amazing, speed limits were simply advisory in some of those states.

@timwinters, I have to agree with @midlifeflyer on this. I’ve lived in 9 states and driven in many others and NC is the worst in this respect. Charlotte may not have the volume of traffic that there is in other cities but folks try their best to make up for it by driving like idiots.

Yep. Never seen it as bad as here when it comes to obstinate folks in the left lane who just refuse to move over to the right. That is until they’re about 100’ from their exit then they attempt the three lane cross over to the ramp maneuver and totally eff up traffic for everyone else. I’m surprised there aren’t more multi car pile ups than there are.
Sounds a lot like Vermont. Except here in Vermont, most of the highways are two laners, and opportunities to pass are rare due to winding curves, and usually obstructed by oncoming traffic. When there is someone behind me on a two-laner who obviously wants to pass, I usually pull over at the next available spot. But the vast majority of these people go 10 to 15 mph below the speed limit and obstinately refuse to do that.

Back