Thinking about a Twin Bonanza

MIFlyer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
MIFlyer
So, why not a T-bone? There's an active group on Beechtalk, but i wanted to get some broader perspectives.

I'm torn between an Aztec and a T-Bone, and it seems like for a little less money, I can get a big, easy to fly plane that would be super comfortable for family trips.

thoughts? I know the IGSO 480 is geared and requires special care and handling, but wht do folks think?

Geared engine. Check how much a overhaul will cost compared to Aztec engines unless they’re low time and you plan to sell before they need it.
I don’t know but it seems they’ll be expensive compared to direct drive.

Thanks Paulie, the superchargers certainly add something, and the TBO is 1,400 instead of 2,000. the gearbox rebuild itself is only $1,200 or so, according to an expert (not including R&R)

I don't know nuthin about them except that callin an airplane T-bone sounds like Bad Juju

Someone here on POA has a T-Bone. I can’t remember who, but they seem to like it.

T-bones are pretty awesome. Bad azz. Great ramp presence. You get a lot of airplane for the money.

Aside from the engines needing more care and feeding than more common flat engines, the next biggest downside is the size. You won’t fit a T-bone in a T-hangar.

Someone here on POA has a T-Bone. I can’t remember who, but they seem to like it.

T-bones are pretty awesome. Bad azz. Great ramp presence. You get a lot of airplane for the money.

Aside from the engines needing more care and feeding than more common flat engines, the next biggest downside is the size. You won’t fit a T-bone in a T-hangar.
can't get a hangar here anyway, at least, until i retire. cheapest 60 year old t-hangar is $550 and unlimited waiting list anyway. i hope I can work something out at a private field,but then you lose instrument approaches

While the 480 isn't as bad a red headed step child as the 435, it's still sort of a bastard engine these days. The gearing really isn't so much the problem (there are a few simple guidelines to that operation). The problem is that the choices in propeller and magnetos and some of the other accessories are limited and can cause you real grief.

Still the T-Bone is a interesting plane.

Hit up Beechtalk. There are a lot of T-Bone owners over there that can give you the rundown. Ask @Ted DuPuis about Aztecs. I've flown one a few times and loved it. Super solid tank of an airplane.

Hit up Beechtalk. There are a lot of T-Bone owners over there that can give you the rundown. Ask @Ted DuPuis about Aztecs. I've flown one a few times and loved it. Super solid tank of an airplane.
thanks KTUP. I've talked to Ted at length on Aztec's, and that's probably the smart choice. but the cabin space on the tbone sure looks good, with allegedly good handling and MX if you're willing to bird dog some parts and the entry price of Aztecs has shot through the roof with the economy and basic med to where the tbone is singificantly less up front for a similar condition airframe.

Top end speed on the tbone is higher (>200 kts) if you're willing to go high and dump fuel in it, but you can fly them at 10k, 160kts on 26 gph combined, so not much more than the aztec at that speed/altitute (summer VFR trips).

The idea of the wife being able to wander into the back, lay on the couch, or sit on the floor and play games with the girls sure makes 6-7 hour flying days look a lot more palatable than everyone sitting in a chair (though all accounts are the aztec seats are pretty darned good)

I've got a Twin Bonanzas (and several friends with Twin Bonanzas, we're all weirdos that stick together). I love, love, love my airplane. Mine is a 1954 B50, which means it has the "red headed step child" GO435s. My engines are much harder (though not impossible) to support than the 480s, which are actually not too bad. Unless you're a ham-handed hack, the geared engines will treat you well once you get the hang of them. The engines themselves are rather stout, it's the gear boxes that'll bite you if you don't mind them. Ham-handed pilots will thrash the gear boxes, which cause them to start to make metal and ship that metal back into the motor. If you take care of the nose cases, the rest of the engine will just keep on trucking. That said, you're not getting gear boxes (or nose cases as many tbone owners call them) overhauled for $1,200/side. More like $2500-3k, which still isn't bad.

Once you're into the TBones with 480s, you've got a small variation between the models. The C50 was the first with the 480, and it's got a low compression 275hp version. The D50-D50E have 295hp GO-480s. All of the GO models are equipped with PS5BD pressure carbs. The supercharged birds (E50, F50, H50, J50) have either GSO-480s (with PS7BD pressure carbs) or GSIO480s (with a screwy Simmonds fuel injection setup). The fuel injected supercharged birds are probably the hardest to support of the 480s, just because the fuel injection system is hard to get serviced. On the carb models, as long as the carbs have already been re-built with "red" seals, they're quite reliable and have automatic mixture control. If they carbs don't have red seals already, they are very expensive to have overhauled (like $3,500 per side expensive).

My airplane does around 155kts true on around 26gph. The models with 480s will go a little faster, closer to 160-165, on similar fuel flows. The supercharged birds, at altitude, are a little faster again, but on closer to 35-40gph. None of them are going more than about 175kts (and only the supercharged birds will do that much). That's a bit slower than a Baron on a bit more fuel, but remember you're flying around in a living room with more baggage space then you can fill.

I've got the 3x3 bench seating (3 place bench in front, 3 place bench in back). So when I'm only carrying 4 people, each person has an entire seat between them. It really is a baby King Air. Some later models (or modified earlier models) will have different seating configurations, including a couch in the back. Some models also have air stair doors.

Useful loads are usually close to 2,000lbs (mine is 1950, which gives me a ~1200lb payload with full fuel). Early models like mine carry 134 gallons of gas, which gives you 3-3.75 hours of endurance with a 1hr reserve. The D50 on have at least 180 gallons, and the supercharged birds go upwards of 240 gallons.

The airframe is very solid, with very few ADs against it (the 5yr wing bolt AD being the worst one). It's easy to work on, with fairly simple systems. If an A&P can work on a Bonanza or a Baron, he/she can work on a TBone (and will probably prefer it, as things are easier to access due to its size). The airplane flies wonderfully, very stable and honest. That said, it's not nimble. Mine lacks an autopilot, but with 3-axis trim and its stability, I get along just fine without.

Hangar space can be difficult; mine lives in an covered tie-down because it won't fit in a T-Hangar at my airport. Ground handling is also a bit trickier, as you can't move it by hand unless on a really flat surface and most "portable" powered tow bars won't do it either, you really need a tractor/tug setup.

Another big "issue" on the TBones is the control surfaces. They're magnesium, so make sure whatever specimen you're looking at has good ones on it, as you don't want to know what re-skinned ones cost.

For the most part, parts availability is not really an issue once you know where to look. Other than engine parts for my hard-to-support 435s, I've not had any issues getting airframe parts.

It does attract a lot of attention at other airports, so add 15 minutes to every fuel stop to chat with folks who want to see it.

I've got a Twin Bonanzas (and several friends with Twin Bonanzas, we're all weirdos that stick together). I love, love, love my airplane. Mine is a 1954 B50, which means it has the "red headed step child" GO435s. My engines are much harder (though not impossible) to support than the 480s, which are actually not too bad. Unless you're a ham-handed hack, the geared engines will treat you well once you get the hang of them. The engines themselves are rather stout, it's the gear boxes that'll bite you if you don't mind them. Ham-handed pilots will thrash the gear boxes, which cause them to start to make metal and ship that metal back into the motor. If you take care of the nose cases, the rest of the engine will just keep on trucking. That said, you're not getting gear boxes (or nose cases as many tbone owners call them) overhauled for $1,200/side. More like $2500-3k, which still isn't bad.

Once you're into the TBones with 480s, you've got a small variation between the models. The C50 was the first with the 480, and it's got a low compression 275hp version. The D50-D50E have 295hp GO-480s. All of the GO models are equipped with PS5BD pressure carbs. The supercharged birds (E50, F50, H50, J50) have either GSO-480s (with PS7BD pressure carbs) or GSIO480s (with a screwy Simmonds fuel injection setup). The fuel injected supercharged birds are probably the hardest to support of the 480s, just because the fuel injection system is hard to get serviced. On the carb models, as long as the carbs have already been re-built with "red" seals, they're quite reliable and have automatic mixture control. If they carbs don't have red seals already, they are very expensive to have overhauled (like $3,500 per side expensive).

My airplane does around 155kts true on around 26gph. The models with 480s will go a little faster, closer to 160-165, on similar fuel flows. The supercharged birds, at altitude, are a little faster again, but on closer to 35-40gph. None of them are going more than about 175kts (and only the supercharged birds will do that much). That's a bit slower than a Baron on a bit more fuel, but remember you're flying around in a living room with more baggage space then you can fill.

I've got the 3x3 bench seating (3 place bench in front, 3 place bench in back). So when I'm only carrying 4 people, each person has an entire seat between them. It really is a baby King Air. Some later models (or modified earlier models) will have different seating configurations, including a couch in the back. Some models also have air stair doors.

Useful loads are usually close to 2,000lbs (mine is 1950, which gives me a ~1200lb payload with full fuel). Early models like mine carry 134 gallons of gas, which gives you 3-3.75 hours of endurance with a 1hr reserve. The D50 on have at least 180 gallons, and the supercharged birds go upwards of 240 gallons.

The airframe is very solid, with very few ADs against it (the 5yr wing bolt AD being the worst one). It's easy to work on, with fairly simple systems. If an A&P can work on a Bonanza or a Baron, he/she can work on a TBone (and will probably prefer it, as things are easier to access due to its size). The airplane flies wonderfully, very stable and honest. That said, it's not nimble. Mine lacks an autopilot, but with 3-axis trim and its stability, I get along just fine without.

Hangar space can be difficult; mine lives in an covered tie-down because it won't fit in a T-Hangar at my airport. Ground handling is also a bit trickier, as you can't move it by hand unless on a really flat surface and most "portable" powered tow bars won't do it either, you really need a tractor/tug setup.

Another big "issue" on the TBones is the control surfaces. They're magnesium, so make sure whatever specimen you're looking at has good ones on it, as you don't want to know what re-skinned ones cost.

For the most part, parts availability is not really an issue once you know where to look. Other than engine parts for my hard-to-support 435s, I've not had any issues getting airframe parts.

It does attract a lot of attention at other airports, so add 15 minutes to every fuel stop to chat with folks who want to see it.

Just be aware that many of the gears and seals in acc cover and gear box are no longer supported by Lycoming which leaves to the used market.

Play "spot the twin bonanza"!

wl8cIuS.png

thanks. Chris's E50 on beechtalk looks VERY interesting with a 430w and a lot of work done for 60k. that'd be supercharged 480's with an airstair. no boots, which would be my only hesitation

T-bone story: When I was a lad of nine or ten I often pedaled my bike to the nearby airport. Even then I suffered from overactive airplane-hormone. The first time I ever laid eyes on a T-bone, it was in a hangar. Looked like a Travel Air on steroids, just huge. I couldn’t even touch the bottom of the wingtips. Just had to get a glimpse of the cockpit, (I knew then that that’s where all the action is) anyway, I found that giant retractable foot step, climbed up and grabbed the “towel rack” hand-hold and stepped on the non-skid. Seconds after I was marveling at the three abreast seating and all the dials and levers, the airplane slowly tipped and then slammed the bottom of the tail on the hangar floor, nose wheel 5 feet in the air. Made quite a noise. I didn’t notice the lack of engines during my perusal in the dimly lit hangar, and all it took was a slight change in the CG, (me). Remember getting my butt chewed.

thanks. Chris's E50 on beechtalk looks VERY interesting with a 430w and a lot of work done for 60k. that'd be supercharged 480's with an airstair. no boots, which would be my only hesitation

I've flown his airplane (and I saw him last weekend, in the airplane). Personally, I think it's an absolutely killer deal at $60k. He's probably got 2x that in it, most of it pretty recent (audio panel, G5, etc.). I've strongly and repeatedly encouraged him NOT to sell it at all, especially at a give-away price of $60k. It could use a paint job, but in person the paint isn't that bad. IMHO, another good candidate is the D50E that popped back up on Beechtalk a couple days ago at $85k. The D50E is the most prized model, as it's got the queen air panel. If you're up in Washington, you should reach out to Wes Norton, who's up in Oregon. He owns several Twin Bonanzas. There's also a long-time TBone owner somewhere in WA, Michael Wallitner.

I kind of figured you were thinking of his plane, with all the references to supercharged engines in the first post.

If you really want deice I wouldn't be looking at twin bonanzas. It doesn't seem like there are very many that have it. It would be far easier fo find a booted Aztec.

By the way, regarding pricing. The aviation market is very efficient at determining value. The fact that Aztec prices have went up and t-bone prices haven't should be an indicator of which one is more desirable. The T-bone is a neat plane, and would do fine for a recreational toy but for ease of maintenance and storage an Aztec is far more viable.

I kind of figured you were thinking of his plane, with all the references to supercharged engines in the first post.

If you really want deice I wouldn't be looking at twin bonanzas. It doesn't seem like there are very many that have it. It would be far easier fo find a booted Aztec.

By the way, regarding pricing. The aviation market is very efficient at determining value. The fact that Aztec prices have went up and t-bone prices haven't should be an indicator of which one is more desirable. The T-bone is a neat plane, and would do fine for a recreational toy but for ease of maintenance and storage an Aztec is far more viable.[/QUOTE

for me, the greater useful load and higher speed options on the supercharged are interesting. I'd really like seating for 7 plus extended baggage. the useful load to use that would require an E or higher from what I understand.

T-bone story: When I was a lad of nine or ten I often pedaled my bike to the nearby airport. Even then I suffered from overactive airplane-hormone. The first time I ever laid eyes on a T-bone, it was in a hangar. Looked like a Travel Air on steroids, just huge. I couldn’t even touch the bottom of the wingtips. Just had to get a glimpse of the cockpit, (I knew then that that’s where all the action is) anyway, I found that giant retractable foot step, climbed up and grabbed the “towel rack” hand-hold and stepped on the non-skid. Seconds after I was marveling at the three abreast seating and all the dials and levers, the airplane slowly tipped and then slammed the bottom of the tail on the hangar floor, nose wheel 5 feet in the air. Made quite a noise. I didn’t notice the lack of engines during my perusal in the dimly lit hangar, and all it took was a slight change in the CG, (me). Remember getting my butt chewed.
Yikes. My single mother would probably have had to sell me to pay for the damages.

Didn’t break anything, but, looking back I question the wisdom of not putting a tail stand or nose ballast to prevent such a thing.

@bradg33 has what I consider to be a very nice T-Bone. I got to fly in it briefly and it really is a comfy airplane. Being a non-pressurized Beech, I wouldn't be too worried about the airframe itself provided that you bought one in good condition. However, Lycoming really doesn't care at all about the old geared engines (GO/GSO/IGSO), and so as was already mentioned the support may be questionable. I think you can get some parts from them but not a ton. An Aztec you can get pretty much anything for.

My Aztec fuel burns were more in the 20-22 range for 155 KTAS, so Brad's burning a bit more for the same speed. But no doubt, a nicer cabin. And a simple, easy to fly plane (which the Aztec is, too).

For your use, I could see either one working fine.

Hi, would you be willing to let me know how MX has been? the folks on BT say it's really benign and very reasonable if you bird dog your own parts.

is there any special downside to parking outside for a few years moreso than other planes? most of us are on the rampher in Seattle.

I have a friend in Memphis area with a T-bone for sale. His partner in the airplane is an A&P mechanic and former airline pilot, my friend flies for Fedex. The plane is for sale but out of annual - might get a deal on it? I can message you his contact info if you are interested, I don't have the specs/equipment/times on the airplane. Got to see it once, has the airstair door and sounds cool flying over.

I have a friend in Memphis area with a T-bone for sale. His partner in the airplane is an A&P mechanic and former airline pilot, my friend flies for Fedex. The plane is for sale but out of annual - might get a deal on it? I can message you his contact info if you are interested, I don't have the specs/equipment/times on the airplane. Got to see it once, has the airstair door and sounds cool flying over.
Would I know him? Grey T-Bone?

I've had the opportunity to fly a few Twin-Bo's and they are Great Planes. Haulers.

Any engine change STC? A runout with different engines would be interesting.

The Excalibur conversions have IO-720s. I think you'd be better off staying with the geared engines.

The Excalibur conversions have IO-720s. I think you'd be better off staying with the geared engines.
you can also switch to Igso 540's (I think from queen air). it sounds like the 480's aren't that problematic if you handle them right and keep a load on the prop at all times.

Bradg's 435's have the advantage of requiring lower octane fuel, so the swift UL 94 is an option for him. the 480's appear to need the 100ll

you can also switch to Igso 540's (I think from queen air). it sounds like the 480's aren't that problematic if you handle them right and keep a load on the prop at all times.

Bradg's 435's have the advantage of requiring lower octane fuel, so the swift UL 94 is an option for him. the 480's appear to need the 100ll

I specifically omitted that engine because I don’t see it as a more viable option.

I believe the low compression GO-480 is also approved for lower octane fuel. But I haven’t looked for a while.

It's funny, but in reality, isn't the Baron the real Twin-Bo? I mean, essentially a Bonanza fuselage with engines on the wings?
Oddly, that's a plane I never considered (TB, not Baron) and this thread has gotten me interested.

Engine change is probably practically impossible at this point. I think I know who owns the STCs, but the engine changes require different cowlings. Good luck finding a set of those. The guys who own existing Excaliburs have enough trouble finding replacement parts for their odd-ball cowls, I imagine it's next to impossible to procure a complete set for a conversion.

Actually, that would be the TravelAir. It had a Model 35 fuselage and a T-Bone wing. The 55 was a spiff up of the TravelAir (using a Deb tail and getting rid of some of the T-Bone clunkiness). The 58 is different. There was the Bay Super-V which essentially was a twin conversion of a V-tail Bo. Only 14 were built.

Actually, that would be the TravelAir. It had a Model 35 fuselage and a T-Bone wing. The 55 was a spiff up of the TravelAir (using a Deb tail and getting rid of some of the T-Bone clunkiness). The 58 is different. There was the Bay Super-V which essentially was a twin conversion of a V-tail Bo. Only 14 were built.

I don't think the Travelair has the TBone wing. The Tbone wing is MUCH larger. Wingpsan on a Travelair is around 37'; Tbone wingspan is around 47'.

Not the whole wing apparently, just the spar.

how come? i'm a fan of the Aztec, but curious why you recommend it.

Because I think you'll have better dispatch rate with the Aztec long term, the performance is in the ballpark for significant fuel savings (I say that ironically) and there's more support for it (and I say that too, ironically). If dispatch is not a big reason for your ownership motivations, then going for the niche stuff doesn't have as much opportunity cost. Hen's teeth samples are generally not my predilection, but again it's not a show stopper for those who like to curate as ancillary to their ownership motivations.

Because I think you'll have better dispatch rate with the Aztec long term, the performance is in the ballpark for significant fuel savings (I say that ironically) and there's more support for it (and I say that too, ironically). If dispatch is not a big reason for your ownership motivations, then going for the niche stuff doesn't have as much opportunity cost. Hen's teeth samples are generally not my predilection, but again it's not a show stopper for those who like to curate as ancillary to their ownership motivations.
I'd generally agree with you, though I think there is one available that can deliver a good dispatch rate and minimize time in the shop, but i'll never know until i do it.

@bradg33 how has dispatch been on yours?

Back