Eyesight requirements for getting your PPL? One bad eye, one great eye..

Brandon Shinabarger

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Traindune
Sorry if this is the wrong Forum section..

I am going to be going for my PPL first of the year. Although i do have one bad eye.. 20/80 in my right eye, but 20/10 vision in my left eye. Night and day. So with Monocular vision (Using one eye dominantly) I have overall 20/10 vision which from research says is fine and that I won't get shot down when getting my PPL since Monocular vision is alright.

Your thoughts?

Last week heard, monocular vision still required a waiver.

But it’s been a while.

Sorry if this is the wrong Forum section..

I am going to be going for my PPL first of the year. Although i do have one bad eye.. 20/80 in my right eye, but 20/10 vision in my left eye. Night and day. So with Monocular vision (Using one eye dominantly) I have overall 20/10 vision which from research says is fine and that I won't get shot down when getting my PPL since Monocular vision is alright.

Your thoughts?
Monocular vision is allowed. But there are certain steps that must be done to make the FAA happy with you.

This was recently discussed on the AOPA board. I am copying a few pertinent posts that should get you started.

From Dr. Bruce Chien, www.aeromedicaldoc.com, @bbchien, he said.

We do a deferred exam. Though when we do it we must have Humphrey 24-2 visual fields on the good eye and on the bad eye, and an FAAForm 8500-7, Report of Eye Examination, from the ophthalmologist.

Then we write a letter to specify where the applicant wants to take his checkride**, which is 0.4 hrs flight time (not much of a ride). If you pass, you be the one eyed waiver, whcih is good so long as the other eye makes aeromedical standards.​

** by checkride, Dr. Bruce is referencing a SODA flight (Statement of Demonstarted Ability), that is done with an FAA inspector from your local FSDO.

Ron Levy then added

Then I gather the first step is to get a full 8500-7 eye exam from an ophthalmologist including the Humprey 24-2 visual fields test. I would think the best next step is to have someone who knows the FAA's standards for what is acceptable review that form to be sure it will get an OK when submitted. Then, if the eye exam looks passable for the SMFT LOA, schedule a Third Class medical exam with the intent of getting it deferred to OKC to get the SMFT LOA. If the eye exam doesn't look passable, it would probably be best not to proceed so the Sport Pilot and Basic Med options remain viable.
SMFT LOA translates to Medical Flight Test Letter of Authorization. What Dr. Bruce was referring to as the "checkride".

Since you have yet to start training, getting your medical sorted out first is not a bad idea. This way if something is going to prevent granting you the Third Class Medical, you haven't spent a small bucket of money in training just to find out you are medically grounded.

The info I copied is for an airman who already holds a medical. One wrinkle I am uncertain about is how being a student pilot might alter the plan. I will have to rely on Dr. Bruce to add that information.

Last edited:
Here is some additional information about getting your medical certificate. This is one of my frequent "copy and paste" items to help soon to be pilots successfully navigate the FAA medical airspace and not crash/burn because they generate their own land mines and hand grenades that wind up destroying their chances.

--------------

To gain confidence, and more importantly, knowledge, of what is involved with obtaining your first medical certificate, start by reviewing the instruction manual for MedXpress, the FAA's online form for applying for a medical. You can find that here: https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/Content/Docs/MedXPressUsersGuide.pdf

Scroll down to page 24 of 36. This is where they ask about any medications you are currently taking (Question 17). If there are none, move to the next section. But if there are some, you will be asked to list the names, dosage, and frequency. Most medications are permitted. Some are not and will be a show stopper. Others may be an indicator of a medical item that the FAA will want to know more about. In many cases, the FAA will need a letter from your treating doctor that mention the medications, why they were prescribed, and how well they are helping you. During the examination, the Aviation Medical Examiner will ask questions about the medications and the doctors letter, fill in some blanks, and make notations on his side of the application form.

Now scroll down to page 26 or 36. This is the medical history section (Question 18). An important phrase here is "Have you ever in your life..." Review these items and see if any should be answered yes. If one or more is answered yes, then definitely do not go to an AME to obtain a medical certificate until you thoroughly know what the FAA is going to want to know about the item you checked as yes.

Some of these are minor and the documentation required is also minor. Others are big, BIG things, and while they might not be show stoppers, you will have to obtain more things that are the right things and in the right format and order in order to satisfy the FAA.

Again, do not go to an AME for a live exam until you know what it is the FAA wants.

How do you find out what the FAA wants? The best way is to have a consultation visit with an AME. This visit does not get reported to the FAA. All it is is a information gather visit with the medical examiner to find out what you need to obtain. If you are unable to find an AME in your area to do this, then reach out to Dr. Bruce Chien in Bolingbrook, IL, www.aeromedicaldoc.com Dr. Bruce is a member here and can answer your questions online. But direct emails are often more efficient and allow him to discuss things in a way he cannot on a public form.

Another important area of Question 18 is Question 18v. Alcohol and drug related motor vehicle actions. Question 18v asks about a history of “arrests or convictions involving driving while intoxicated by, while impaired by, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug.” This would include arrests or convictions for offenses that were reduced to a lower offense, such as careless driving. This also includes offenses that were expunged by the courts after a certain time period. Pilots who have been ticketed for operating under the influence while driving a golf cart or a boat have also been required to report these offenses. Remember, your signature on the Form authorizes the FAA to search the National Drivers Register.

Do not try to lie or fib or skirt the issue here.... if you are found out... it is major bad voodoo.

Moving on, look at page 28 of 36 and Question 19, which asks questions about medical professionals. If all of your past doctor visits have been routine things with no major medical issues. Then the FAA will say all is good, thanks for telling us about the visits. But if there were visits for particular medical things, then additional explanations about the reason for the visit, and the doctor's findings will be needed.

Now, as hinted at at the beginning, do not go for a "live" FAA medical examination until you are beyond 100% sure you will pass and will be issued your medical certificate before you leave the doctor's office. If there is any questions about your medical past or current medical situation, seek out an AME who will do a consultative visit so that you can review and learn. For more information about a consultative visit, see this post: http://tinyurl.com/ame-consult

I hope this helps you. Do continue to ask questions as you think of them.

I’m not sure how much of a PITA it is to get one but I know you can. One of the captains I flew with at a charter company had a glass eye. Pretty sure that eye was way worse than 20/80

I would also make sure you find a "difficult case" AME who has a successful track record of monocular submissions. This will will increase your chances because he knows what the FAA will want and how to properly manage the case.

If you go to www.faa.gov, and then search for the Guide for Aeromedical Examiners, that document can provide additional detail about how the aeromedical system works for the various health conditions an applicant has. You might find additional details about monocular vision and how to obtain a medical certificate there.

Here is some additional information about getting your medical certificate. This is one of my frequent "copy and paste" items to help soon to be pilots successfully navigate the FAA medical airspace and not crash/burn because they generate their own land mines and hand grenades that wind up destroying their chances.

--------------

To gain confidence, and more importantly, knowledge, of what is involved with obtaining your first medical certificate, start by reviewing the instruction manual for MedXpress, the FAA's online form for applying for a medical. You can find that here: https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/Content/Docs/MedXPressUsersGuide.pdf

Scroll down to page 24 of 36. This is where they ask about any medications you are currently taking (Question 17). If there are none, move to the next section. But if there are some, you will be asked to list the names, dosage, and frequency. Most medications are permitted. Some are not and will be a show stopper. Others may be an indicator of a medical item that the FAA will want to know more about. In many cases, the FAA will need a letter from your treating doctor that mention the medications, why they were prescribed, and how well they are helping you. During the examination, the Aviation Medical Examiner will ask questions about the medications and the doctors letter, fill in some blanks, and make notations on his side of the application form.

Now scroll down to page 26 or 36. This is the medical history section (Question 18). An important phrase here is "Have you ever in your life..." Review these items and see if any should be answered yes. If one or more is answered yes, then definitely do not go to an AME to obtain a medical certificate until you thoroughly know what the FAA is going to want to know about the item you checked as yes.

Some of these are minor and the documentation required is also minor. Others are big, BIG things, and while they might not be show stoppers, you will have to obtain more things that are the right things and in the right format and order in order to satisfy the FAA.

Again, do not go to an AME for a live exam until you know what it is the FAA wants.

How do you find out what the FAA wants? The best way is to have a consultation visit with an AME. This visit does not get reported to the FAA. All it is is a information gather visit with the medical examiner to find out what you need to obtain. If you are unable to find an AME in your area to do this, then reach out to Dr. Bruce Chien in Bolingbrook, IL, www.aeromedicaldoc.com Dr. Bruce is a member here and can answer your questions online. But direct emails are often more efficient and allow him to discuss things in a way he cannot on a public form.

Another important area of Question 18 is Question 18v. Alcohol and drug related motor vehicle actions. Question 18v asks about a history of “arrests or convictions involving driving while intoxicated by, while impaired by, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug.” This would include arrests or convictions for offenses that were reduced to a lower offense, such as careless driving. This also includes offenses that were expunged by the courts after a certain time period. Pilots who have been ticketed for operating under the influence while driving a golf cart or a boat have also been required to report these offenses. Remember, your signature on the Form authorizes the FAA to search the National Drivers Register.

Do not try to lie or fib or skirt the issue here.... if you are found out... it is major bad voodoo.

Moving on, look at page 28 of 36 and Question 19, which asks questions about medical professionals. If all of your past doctor visits have been routine things with no major medical issues. Then the FAA will say all is good, thanks for telling us about the visits. But if there were visits for particular medical things, then additional explanations about the reason for the visit, and the doctor's findings will be needed.

Now, as hinted at at the beginning, do not go for a "live" FAA medical examination until you are beyond 100% sure you will pass and will be issued your medical certificate before you leave the doctor's office. If there is any questions about your medical past or current medical situation, seek out an AME who will do a consultative visit so that you can review and learn. For more information about a consultative visit, see this post: http://tinyurl.com/ame-consult

I hope this helps you. Do continue to ask questions as you think of them.

Thank you!! That's a massive help!! I'm a young healthy guy, never took medication, fit, no medical conditions aside from a broken foot in highschool wrestling..
Only worry is even the fact that I have 20/10 vision, one eye is horrible.. So I have to be very knowledgeable on what steps to take to cover myself in getting whatever
waivers/clears etc needed for my PPL certificate.

Thank you!!!

If you go to www.faa.gov, and then search for the Guide for Aeromedical Examiners, that document can provide additional detail about how the aeromedical system works for the various health conditions an applicant has. You might find additional details about monocular vision and how to obtain a medical certificate there.

So my best chance is to search and find an AME to contact regarding monocular vision, and then if he has a track record with Monocular submissions schedule my FAA exam with him. If passed, then i'm free to pursue my path and study hard!

So I have to be very knowledgeable on what steps to take to cover myself in getting whatever
waivers/clears etc needed for my PPL certificate.
Correct. While it is okay to visit an AME for a consultation visit, do not fill out the MedXpress form until you know with 100% certainty that you pass.

if he has a track record with Monocular submissions schedule my FAA exam with him.
Again, no "live exam" until you are fully educated on the required steps, what documentation, and any additional bits that are required. Keep any AME appointments consultative until the AME says he will stake his shingle that you got everything the FAA wants and you will pass on first go.

When making the consultation appointment... make sure the office staff knows that is what it is... a consultation. Too often they are in minion mode and can't figure out why you're not filling out MedXpress. If they or the doctor says they won't do consultations, move on to another AME.

If any significant difficulties getting this done in your area, consider hiring Dr. Bruce Chien to manage your case. www.aeromedicaldoc.com

I assume those numbers are uncorrected (without glasses). What are they corrected (with glasses)?

I assume those numbers are uncorrected (without glasses). What are they corrected (with glasses)?
Certainly those numbers must be the corrected vision, as many folks (such as myself) have vision that is as bad or worse without correction.

Certainly those numbers must be the corrected vision, as many folks (such as myself) have vision that is as bad or worse without correction.

But he didn’t state that it was corrected. Neither did he mention wearing glasses or contacts. I wear glasses and if I were to post my numbers, I’d note if it was corrected or uncorrected. Most folks would.

But he didn’t state that it was corrected. Neither did he mention wearing glasses or contacts. I wear glasses and if I were to post my numbers, I’d note if it was corrected or uncorrected. Most folks would.

It is uncorrected. Mainly because it can't be corrected. My brain Favorited my left eye growing up so my right eye doesn't fully focus. So there's no increasing it with correction.

Monocular vision is allowed. But there are certain steps that must be done to make the FAA happy with you.

This was recently discussed on the AOPA board. I am copying a few pertinent posts that should get you started.

From Dr. Bruce Chien, www.aeromedicaldoc.com, @bbchien, he said.

We do a deferred exam. Though when we do it we must have Humphrey 24-2 visual fields on the good eye and on the bad eye, and an FAAForm 8500-7, Report of Eye Examination, from the ophthalmologist.

Then we write a letter to specify where the applicant wants to take his checkride**, which is 0.4 hrs flight time (not much of a ride). If you pass, you be the one eyed waiver, whcih is good so long as the other eye makes aeromedical standards.​

** by checkride, Dr. Bruce is referencing a SODA flight (Statement of Demonstarted Ability), that is done with an FAA inspector from your local FSDO.

Ron Levy then added

Then I gather the first step is to get a full 8500-7 eye exam from an ophthalmologist including the Humprey 24-2 visual fields test. I would think the best next step is to have someone who knows the FAA's standards for what is acceptable review that form to be sure it will get an OK when submitted. Then, if the eye exam looks passable for the SMFT LOA, schedule a Third Class medical exam with the intent of getting it deferred to OKC to get the SMFT LOA. If the eye exam doesn't look passable, it would probably be best not to proceed so the Sport Pilot and Basic Med options remain viable.
SMFT LOA translates to Medical Flight Test Letter of Authorization. What Dr. Bruce was referring to as the "checkride".

Since you have yet to start training, getting your medical sorted out first is not a bad idea. This way if something is going to prevent granting you the Third Class Medical, you haven't spent a small bucket of money in training just to find out you are medically grounded.

The info I copied is for an airman who already holds a medical. One wrinkle I am uncertain about is how being a student pilot might alter the plan. I will have to rely on Dr. Bruce to add that information.

In regards to the SMFT LOA you mentioned.. also noted as “Checkride”. Is that like your normal checkride at the end of you flight school? If so then to get to that point to see if I get authorization I’d have to spend all the money for training just to possibly get turned down..

In regards to the SMFT LOA you mentioned.. also noted as “Checkride”. Is that like your normal checkride at the end of you flight school? If so then to get to that point to see if I get authorization I’d have to spend all the money for training just to possibly get turned down..

No. The common term for the oral and practical exam is referred to as the checkride for the rating to be applied for.

However, before you get to that stage, you need to demonstrate your visual acuity to an FAA inspector. As I mentioned, I am not familiar with how this works for a new student airman. Which is why I referred you to speak directly with Dr. Bruce to determine the proper steps so you don't waste time or dollars.

I am happy to share the information I know about. But in aeromedical things, I am just some pilot on the internet who has paid close attention to the various threads in this forum, and experienced a few things of my own. For the right answers, you need to speak with the proper aviation medical examiner.

I have the same problem. One eye that passes with glasses, the other one doesn't. I had to do a flight with an inspector. We went up, I spotted a few planes in the pattern (before he did) then we went to a nearby practice field and he had me do a few simulated engine out landings from 3000 agl directly over the middle of the airfield. (Probably to judge the quality of my depth perception.) The whole thing lasted maybe 30 minutes, tops. We landed and he gave me my SODA. (Statement Of Demonstrated Ability.)

Don't be confused by the language in the letter with your temporary medical. I didn't realize that I had to get the SODA before I took my checkride for my PPL. Set my whole timeline back an extra 3 months! As soon as you solo, get on the schedule with your local FSDO for your SODA flight. Depending on how busy their office is, you could have to wait a few months for an appointment.

I have the same problem. One eye that passes with glasses, the other one doesn't. I had to do a flight with an inspector. We went up, I spotted a few planes in the pattern (before he did) then we went to a nearby practice field and he had me do a few simulated engine out landings from 3000 agl directly over the middle of the airfield. (Probably to judge the quality of my depth perception.) The whole thing lasted maybe 30 minutes, tops. We landed and he gave me my SODA. (Statement Of Demonstrated Ability.)

Don't be confused by the language in the letter with your temporary medical. I didn't realize that I had to get the SODA before I took my checkride for my PPL. Set my whole timeline back an extra 3 months! As soon as you solo, get on the schedule with your local FSDO for your SODA flight. Depending on how busy their office is, you could have to wait a few months for an appointment.
I want to make sure I understood your timeline....
  1. Started your primary training and somewhere along the line got your student medical with deferred status, pending the flight with the inspector
  2. Worked on training up to solo, and did your solo flight
  3. Made contact with the FSDO and did the inspector flight, earning your SODA
  4. Finished your training, did your PPL checkride, both with your completed third class medical + SODA in hand.
Correct?

PS. Are you coming to our pilot social gathering Friday?

I just completed (and passed) my MFT (Medical Flight Test) this morning - monocular vision due to a childhood accident.

The process goes as follows:
1) Have your optometrist or ophthalmologist perform the vision tests and complete the form 8500-7
2) Go to an AME for your physical - you will be deferred. 8500-7 and any documentation will be sent to the FAA by your AME (may want to include choice of FSDO for MFT)
(I went to a Senior FAA Medical Examiner with the best experience that I could find in my local area)
3) FAA will send you:
a) Medical Certificate with Limitation "Valid for Medical Flight Test Only. Not Valid for Solo Flight."
b) Letter of Authorization (LOA) to schedule the Medical Flight Test (MFT)
4) Once you receive the LOA, contact your FSDO of choice and schedule the MFT (you should have ability to take off, identify emergency landing fields/options, and land the plane)
5) Once you complete the MFT, the Safety Inspector will submit the SODA and recommendation that the restriction be removed from your Medical Certificate* (submitted via Fax)
*this is where I am at with the process. Hopefully not too long before I receive my "clean" medical - THEN I can solo! (You can NOT solo until you have your clean medical)

I just completed (and passed) my MFT (Medical Flight Test) this morning - monocular vision due to a childhood accident.

Thank you for this information. Can I have your permission to copy it into my "what you need to know about aeromedical certification" file for future sessions of "answer the new guys questions"?

And to make sure I am clear on one point...

You currently are "pre-solo" but know how to take off and land a plane safely, correct? Which is what allowed you to execute the MFT.

And once you get the updated medical, you'll be clear to do your solo flight. Correct?

1) Have your optometrist or ophthalmologist perform the vision tests and complete the form 8500-7
2) Go to an AME for your physical - you will be deferred. 8500-7 and any documentation will be sent to the FAA by your AME (may want to include choice of FSDO for MFT)
(I went to a Senior FAA Medical Examiner with the best experience that I could find in my local area)
3) FAA will send you:
a) Medical Certificate with Limitation "Valid for Medical Flight Test Only. Not Valid for Solo Flight."
b) Letter of Authorization (LOA) to schedule the Medical Flight Test (MFT)
4) Once you receive the LOA, contact your FSDO of choice and schedule the MFT (you should have ability to take off, identify emergency landing fields/options, and land the plane)
5) Once you complete the MFT, the Safety Inspector will submit the SODA and recommendation that the restriction be removed from your Medical Certificate* (submitted via Fax)
*this is where I am at with the process. Hopefully not too long before I receive my "clean" medical - THEN I can solo! (You can NOT solo until you have your clean medical)

Thank you so much for the detailed comment on your process. I have to say the help and support I’ve gotten from everyone in this forum has been amazing! Given me the motivation to buckle in and go for it 100%

Thank you for this information. Can I have your permission to copy it into my "what you need to know about aeromedical certification" file for future sessions of "answer the new guys questions"?

And to make sure I am clear on one point...

You currently are "pre-solo" but know how to take off and land a plane safely, correct? Which is what allowed you to execute the MFT.

And once you get the updated medical, you'll be clear to do your solo flight. Correct?

Happy to share the knowledge, you're welcome to copy.

Yes, pre-solo... ready to solo, but the medical is holding me up. Waiting for the unrestricted medical to be legal to solo. Once I receive the updated medical I'm good to go.

Below is the guidance on what to test (provided to me by the FAA Aviation Safety Inspector who conducted my test):

4) Observe an applicant with a visual defect (one eye missing or one eye blind) demonstrate the following in an aircraft:

· The ability to select emergency landing fields at a distance, from high altitude, and preferably over unfamiliar terrain.

· The ability to simulate forced landings in difficult fields; note the manner of approach, rate of descent, and comparative distance at which obstructions (stumps, boulders, ditches, etc.) are recognized.

· The ability to recognize other aircraft (which may be present by prearrangement) approaching at a collision course (particularly aircraft approaching from the far right or far left).

· The ability to judge distances and to recognize landmarks (compared with the ASI’s estimate).

· The ability to land the aircraft.

· The ability to read aeronautical charts in flight and tune the radio to a predetermined station accurately and rapidly.

· The ability to read instrument panels (including an overhead panel, if any) quickly and correctly.

Back