What it's like to DEPART Oshkosh (spoiler alert: awesome)

dembro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
dembro
So technically this video is from my trip to OSH17, but it doesn't look like too many folks have posted videos of their OSH Departures, so I thought I'd throw mine into the mix! The arrival gets all of the love (for good reason), but the departure demands respect and a good set of ears. You'll operate outside of your comfort zone as you leave (they want me to taxi up to where?????), and you still won't be able to talk back to the controllers. After Marty and I got clear of the Delta, we both remarked that this seemed almost more intense than the arrival (but we didn't come in during the totally crazy OSH18 day).

A few other fun things - Where DO we do the run up? Departing right after a fighter jet! A special guest appearance by the Blue Angels!

Looking forward to your feedback and thoughts!

Thanks as always for all of your support! AND thanks to the handful of folks that said hi during OSH18 - great to meet all of you! Hope to see you at OSH19!

Also - can you identify the procedure that @mjburian was teaching me when we arrived back at KMWC (Timmerman Field)? Nice slip buddy!

I realized as I started to prepare to leave Oshkosh that, while I had practiced flying 90 knots at different configurations as well as spot landings, I had not practiced turning 150 degrees immediately after takeoff and before passing a given point. The departure certainly deserves more attention than it gets, based on my sample size of 1.

I realized as I started to prepare to leave Oshkosh that, while I had practiced flying 90 knots at different configurations as well as spot landings, I had not practiced turning 150 degrees immediately after takeoff and before passing a given point. The departure certainly deserves more attention than it gets, based on my sample size of 1.

The whole thing is such a great exercise in pilotage and staying ahead of the airplane.

Hey Dembro, we're flying up to KMWC from Nashville the last week of the August. Will you be around? I'd like to buy you a beer.

The whole thing is such a great exercise in pilotage and staying ahead of the airplane.
Or, if you got stuck in the Green Lake hold for 3 hours on Sunday this year, an exercise in staying ahead of seventeen hundred airplanes.

Hey Dembro, we're flying up to KMWC from Nashville the last week of the August. Will you be around? I'd like to buy you a beer.

Depends on the day! Shoot me a message with the details and we'll see what we can make work - I'm never one to turn down a beer!

Or, if you got stuck in the Green Lake hold for 3 hours on Sunday this year, an exercise in staying ahead of seventeen hundred airplanes.

Yeah - I can only imagine - we had it easy flying into OSH17 compared to that!

Here Ya go. Lousy takeoff, but cool to make that turn to 150 degrees and stay below 1300 ft.

I don't know what you're talking about in terms of a lousy takeoff - looked fine to the uninitiated in the "back seat". Such a cool departure there - ours was just exciting because we were feet wet and staying that way whether we liked it or not.

From Vintage, as long as 36 is open, it's super easy. We barely get off the grass before we're on the runway. My friend was flying and got confused when they told him to line up and wait on the runway, but before he got on the runway he suddenly stopped. I told him to get on the runway and he did. After we took off, I asked him why he stopped and he said he thought they told him to hold short. What they said was, "Ignore the painted hold-short lines and follow the flaggers." Not a big deal though.

I don't know what you're talking about in terms of a lousy takeoff - looked fine to the uninitiated in the "back seat". Such a cool departure there - ours was just exciting because we were feet wet and staying that way whether we liked it or not.

Did a little hop skip and a jump. Glad it doesn’t show up too well on the video!

Arrival was interesting. Came in on Wednesday AM, and avoided the fun at Fisk during the previous weekend.
While rolling out on 36R, aircraft were making that right turn off of 36L right over me. Zoinks!!

Last edited:
From Vintage, as long as 36 is open, it's super easy. We barely get off the grass before we're on the runway. My friend was flying and got confused when they told him to line up and wait on the runway, but before he got on the runway he suddenly stopped. I told him to get on the runway and he did. After we took off, I asked him why he stopped and he said he thought they told him to hold short. What they said was, "Ignore the painted hold-short lines and follow the flaggers." Not a big deal though.

It's REALLY hard to operate outside of our normal operating procedures isn't it? When the controller told us to move forward both of us knew he wanted us closer, but just couldn't bring ourselves to cross that line without an additional go ahead.

Well done.
Thanks for sharing.

Thank YOU for watching!

Did a little hop skip and a jump. Glad it doesn’t show up too well on the video!
Arrival was interesting. Came in on Wednesday AM, and avoided the fun at Fisk during the previous weekend.
While rolling out on 36R, aircraft were making that right turn off of 36L right over me. Zoinks!!

Now we're talking! Talk about aeronautical!

We landed on 27 and departed on 18. We love the departure on 18. Usually 4 planes are sitting next to / behind each other and then take off is within 30 seconds alternating between the planes sitting left and right on the runway. From engine start to ‘cleared for take off’ it was less then 20 minutes. :)

We departed on Sunday morning, when it got busy.

We landed on 27 and departed on 18. We love the departure on 18. Usually 4 planes are sitting next to / behind each other and then take off is within 30 seconds alternating between the planes sitting left and right on the runway. From engine start to ‘cleared for take off’ it was less then 20 minutes. :)

We departed on Sunday morning, when it got busy.

That sounds really awesome! Sounds like a carrier scramble or something!

Back