When was the last time you went around?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
When I bought my plane last summer, I did go-arounds out of necessity, and also for practice/proficiency. I didn’t know my plane, so some of my approaches went to crap and I did go arounds. I also did a lot of practice.

As I got better I could salvage any imperfect approaches. I also did more flying for purposes other than training, so I did less and less going around (1 takeoff, 1 landing).

Now I can’t remember the last time I did one. That’s not good. I think I’m gonna throw one in once in a while.

Four weeks ago. Got a strong gust from the side on very short final. The approach into the 2,300‘ runway could have been saved but - there is nothing wrong with a go around... :D

Interesting enough - those approaches / landings where I am 100 % prepared for a go around are usually the smoothest landings... :cool:

Funny story, but I last went around on my instrument checkride about a month ago:

I completed the checkride, and the DPE said, "Ok, go ahead and land it, you're good." We were on a left downwind at an uncontrolled airport, and we had been on the CTAF for 5 minutes or so annoucing our position and not hearing a soul. As I started a turn to base, a small twin dove right across in front of us! I made evasive action, and then extended my downwind while cleaning out my shorts. The DPE said in regard to the twin pilot, "What an a-hole!" I made my turn to base, then final, and as I finally was descending within a few feet of the runway, four sandhill cranes ran right out onto the runway about 100 feet in front of us. I announced, "Going around!" added power, and flew over the cranes by about 5 feet. Throughout my whole checkride, I had noticed the DPE had been playing or texting on his phone. After the sandhill cranes, I told the guy, "Man! You put on some checkride! I noticed you on your phone, but I didn't realize you were 'cueing the twin engine', or texting 'send out the sandhill cranes'!!!" The DPE laughed and said, "See? I'm known for being tough!".

Last go around ,was when on short final ,another aircraft decided to take the runway for. Departure.

At work I did one a few weeks ago. We landed in Buffalo and the longer runway was closed. The shorter runway is 7000ft which is no big deal either. The FO was a little fast, flared too high, and just floated forever down the runway until I called the go around. I also did a go around flying GA a few weeks ago. Fog rolled into Montauk, had to go missed on the RNAV approach, diverted to East Hampton and shot the RNAV down to mins.

actually one of the last go arounds I did was just after I thought to myself "man, it's been forever since I did a go around". no joke.

Couple months ago, just for fun. I was getting a Rental checkout at an FBO that makes you get them if you haven’t flown with them in 90 days. I told the CFI I was gonna do one. He let it count as one of the 3 landings. Last for real one I can remember was about 4 years ago. It was three of them before I could get the plane down. Some weird, gusty wind shears at 7S3. A couple CFI’s who had been:popcorn:ing the show came over to the pumps when I was gassing up and gave me a little free ‘ground’ on the peculiarities of that airport.

Last week on a very gusty day, in a 172, and I was rusty.

But it was a 7300' rwy, so my go around was to add power get re-stabilized and try again.

Last week. Aborted takeoff due to geese not announcing their intentions of taking off on 32 also. After practicing some maneuvers for close to a hour, Returning and on final noticed the geese had yet again decided to return without announcing their intentions. Go Around was needed and performed. Dang NORDO birds keeping me on my toes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually get one or two go-arounds a year in line flying. Practice them every nine months in the sim, of course. Brief the go-around profile at least once per day. Actual go-arounds are almost always due to runway separation--either the previous landing won't be clear in time or the previous departure won't be airborne in time. Sometimes separation on crossing runways but not too often (unless you're based in LGA, perhaps). Had one, about three years ago, where a preceding landing metroliner went off the side of the runway in DEN.

The last go-around that I can remember which wasn't due to a lack of runway separation was over ten years ago. Coupled CAT II approach in a DC9 and the autopilot (old analog A/P) started pitch oscillations when it went into GP EXT (glidepath extend) at 300' radar altitude.

It all kinda blends together, though, so there may be others that I'm not remembering.

Last go around was flying into the pig, BQ1couple of months ago. People were using the downwind runway... odd but gave it a try... NOT! wind up fast and high. Zoom zoom!

Can't honestly remember the last time I did a go-around. I always have to remind myself to be ready. Most of them have been because of wind gusts or x-winds I was having trouble with. Rarely, there is another plane that isn't moving quickly enough - I think the last time that happened was when the tower called my base for landing #2, but #1 was really slow on final.

I do remember the last time I did a real go-around. I was landing a 150/150 with 40-deg flaps and a 200' tow rope hanging off the back. I normally did a steep approach because of various things I didn't want to snag with that rope. It does trail backwards more than down, but doing a steep approach to a grass field is fun, too. For whatever reason, the bottom dropped out on short final. Winds tended to be goofy because of treelines at that airport. It wasn't that big a deal, and I could have salvaged it, but it did trip the "go around" switch in my head. I remember, later, saying a silent thank-you to all the CFIs in my life for pounding go-arounds into me.

Couple summers ago in Kake when a momma bear and two cubs crossed the runway.

Kake is not particularly short even with its displaced thresh hold, but for a Navajo it is unforgiving of long landings.

Couple summers ago in Kake when a momma bear and two cubs crossed the runway.

Kake is not particularly short even with its displaced thresh hold, but for a Navajo it is unforgiving of long landings.
You were flying with a bare behind that day! Waka waka

Last week. Aborted takeoff due to geese not announcing their intentions of taking off on 32 also. After practicing some maneuvers for close to a hour, Returning and on final noticed the geese had yet again decided to return without announcing their intentions. Go Around was needed and performed. Dang NORDO birds keeping me on my toes.

Funny, mine was last week also and also for geese. At Gaston's. Short final and about 18 decide to walk across the runway about 1/3 the way down.

This morning while practicing some commercial maneuvers.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

About a year ago (tower made the call) due to a student not exiting the runway.

Last time I went around was a few months ago. Night ILS at ORF in some pretty nasty weather and winds. A Republic Airlines RJ was told cleared for takeoff and notified that I was on final. And they took their sweet time.

Tower had to get on their case and encourage them. They finally started their roll, but it was too late. I went missed and got to log a second approach that night.

During my BFR last August, it was my first flight in 14 years. My first landing was a 6.....My second was a go around. Just way behind the airplane in the flare. My CFI said something to try and make me stick with it, but I went around

My call

Just the other day. My practice power-off-180 wasn't going according to plan.
And there were two strangers just standing around by the side of the runway, watching me.
I got self-conscious.

A couple of months back in KJKJ , went to drop the plane for annual, it was a calm morning, or so I thought. It was calm in KFAR , but about 9 knots in KJKJ which is calm I guess... about 8 miles away.... chose 12 , on short final saw tailwind, went around, by the time I set myself up for 30 , again on short final saw tail wind, went around and this time landed with tailwind, but this time I was expecting it. Wind in ND is just weird.

Have had a few for various reasons...but I also fly with the mentality that every approach to landing is a go around until proven otherwise so none of them were really a “surprise”

On land, 6mo ago for recurrent training

On water a couple weeks ago when a boat decided to get all unpredictable

Two weeks ago. A little high on the approach and just decided to go around and try again rather than force it down, which in my aircraft usually means bad things.

Actually just last Thursday. Attempting a power off 180 at an airport I don't normally do TOs and landings at. Came in really high and went around.

About two weeks ago, trying to do a no flap landing with a forward slip. I couldn't get the slip right and was not in a stable approach so I went around.

Few weeks ago heading to a shorter narrower strip that was uphill. Slight tailwind. Just got down too steep with too much energy left over. Kid just threw up in the pattern, when I went full throttle l, wife gave me “the stare”...

On my PPL checkride when the DPE shook the yoke and said you're getting some crazy gusts, what are you going to do? Go around!

Did one for practice a few months ago. Before that, the last two "for real" were caused by flocks of Canada geese suddenly taking off over the runway at Vancouver WA. One of those was during a BFR, but it was not a drill.

Few weeks ago heading to a shorter narrower strip that was uphill. Slight tailwind. Just got down too steep with too much energy left over. Kid just threw up in the pattern, when I went full throttle l, wife gave me “the stare”...

You should tell her not to give you the stare, you just saved her life.

Back