6Y9 Fly-In 2018 (labor day weekend)

Happy to report that 6Y9 is ready to go! Current conditions as of yesterday: field was dry, cones are out, and runway was rolled.

Look forward to seeing some of you this summer, and it should go without saying that we are already making preparations for another great fly in. Rain or shine, hot or cold, we always seem to make it work and have grand ol' time.:)

For those looking for another lodging option, the Sidnaw Lodge is new and has information on our website: www.sidnaw.org ( Business link)
To clarify...it is not a new "lodge"...the old cafe has been turned into a nice rental.

It's not "new", I stayed there last year! ;)

I was the first - They said it "wasn't quite ready" and gave me a slightly discounted rate. Nice place tho.

You want to come back!

True story. We really want to come back. Problem is it has changed from a 2-2.5 hr flight to a 5+hr flight. I could probably iron-butt it, but the kids aren't quite ready for a haul like that just yet.

I’m planning on coming this year, and bringing the wife. She can handle a tent (with some encouragement), but real toilets and a shower are not negotiable. So two questions; land a Mooney at 6Y9? And the above?

There have been a couple different models of Mooneys that have landed there. Talk to @Skywalker and @German guy about how they plan going in and out with theirs. During the fly-in weekend there is a toilet and a shower available for pilots and passengers to use.

Last edited:
So two questions; land a Mooney at 6Y9?

Well, that depends. Are you one of the "zomg Mooneys can't land on grass" crowd, or are you merely concerned about short field performance?

If you've never landed it on grass before, just go somewhere and do it a few times.

If you're concerned about performance... Well, so am I. I have an R. @German guy and @Skywalker have an E and have been in and out of 6Y9. Same wing, but their gross weight is 2575 pounds, mine is 3368. Me sitting in the pilot's seat with no luggage and no fuel weighs more than their max gross. Accordingly, I need to develop more airspeed to get the wheels out of the grass, and to climb above the trees, which are rather large on the west end. And I like to bring my wife, son, luggage, and fuel so we're probably going to be close to gross. Even just enough fuel to fly down to KLNL legally, on a standard day from a paved runway, my ground roll is 1500 feet, and 2500 to clear a 50-foot obstacle. There is no published non-paved performance chart or fudge factors (except that "high humidity can add 10%"), so I'm kind of in no-man's land.

I am probably going to try to fly the R in this year anyway, but I'll be trying a few takeoffs without the family and luggage first, and know my abort point (and pay attention to it) Hopefully I won't need to get the plane home on the back of a truck! I do have a slightly better power loading than the E (12.0 lb/hp vs. 12.9), but my wing loading is much worse (19.4 lb/sqft vs. 15.4 for the E).

Well, that depends. Are you one of the "zomg Mooneys can't land on grass" crowd, or are you merely concerned about short field performance?

If you've never landed it on grass before, just go somewhere and do it a few times.

If you're concerned about performance... Well, so am I. I have an R. @German guy and @Skywalker have an E and have been in and out of 6Y9. Same wing, but their gross weight is 2575 pounds, mine is 3368. Me sitting in the pilot's seat with no luggage and no fuel weighs more than their max gross. Accordingly, I need to develop more airspeed to get the wheels out of the grass, and to climb above the trees, which are rather large on the west end. And I like to bring my wife, son, luggage, and fuel so we're probably going to be close to gross. Even just enough fuel to fly down to KLNL legally, on a standard day from a paved runway, my ground roll is 1500 feet, and 2500 to clear a 50-foot obstacle. There is no published non-paved performance chart or fudge factors (except that "high humidity can add 10%"), so I'm kind of in no-man's land.

I am probably going to try to fly the R in this year anyway, but I'll be trying a few takeoffs without the family and luggage first, and know my abort point (and pay attention to it) Hopefully I won't need to get the plane home on the back of a truck! I do have a slightly better power loading than the E (12.0 lb/hp vs. 12.9), but my wing loading is much worse (19.4 lb/sqft vs. 15.4 for the E).
i'll sell ya a Dakota that'll get in and out of 6Y9 at gross.

i'll sell ya a Dakota that'll get in and out of 6Y9 at gross.

I'll trade ya the wife that's gonna disown me anyway if I buy another airplane. :rofl:

Though, that wouldn't be a fair trade. Can you buy me a new PC24? I *might* trade her for that. ;p

It would be an E model. I have taxied on a grass runway (shortest way from pavement to ramp), but never landed or taken off on one.

We have no issues taking her in and out of 6Y9 or any other grass airstrips as long as they are maintained well.

All that bouncing makes me nervous :eek:

It would be an E model. I have taxied on a grass runway (shortest way from pavement to ramp), but never landed or taken off on one.

Way, way, way past time for you to start using grass...

You're good. The E has one of the lower power loadings of the Mooney line, and a reasonably low wing loading, and can do 6Y9 just fine, as has been demonstrated (and shown in video in this thread).

I would suggest that you maybe want to do a couple practice grass takeoffs and landings elsewhere beforehand. Get a feel for landing on grass without having to worry about obstructions, or an audience of people you know. ;) 40D, Three Lakes, would be an excellent choice not too far away - It's one of the best grass strips I've ever seen, and I've seen Cirruses, King Airs, and even an Aerostar in there. Get comfortable there - And walk across the street for a bite to eat or some ice cream if you so choose - and then it won't be quite as new when you get to 6Y9, which is a bit more wavy as you can see in the video, and has obstructions on both ends.

Also, make sure you choose a spot where you are committed to a choice between landing and going around, and stick with your commitment. 'tis much better to go off the end of the runway at slow speed than crash into the trees at 50 AGL at flying speed. Same thing on takeoff - If you don't have 75% of your takeoff speed by 50% of the runway, you're going to go off the runway, and you can't even use the entire runway for takeoff at 6Y9 - If you lifted off right at the end, you'd be going into the trees. It's not dangerous by any means, but if all you've ever done is flatland unobstructed runways, these are things you should be thinking about at any obstructed runway.

Thirty days till the fly in weekend. 30. Three zero.
Yes...I am counting....

So for planning purposes, I have put together a head count, car count, motor home count, and plane count, even though a lot of you have not yet signed up on the attendee list.

But this plea is for Bryan with a Y. I need your help. This will be our 13th fly in and we have never had anybody piggy back and show up with vendors,etc. So I need to know what I'm lacking here....is it because it isn't in Wisconsin? (I can hardly wait to see how your Florida fly in goes.)

Is it because of you personally? (Because if that's the case, I just have to make sure that everyone knows you are returning again this year!!!)

I know there is no way that I can accommodate 10,000 aircraft, but I would be happy with even a tenth of that, although in all honesty, that would put me over the edge.

So what is your secret? I promise I will not divulge any information to others arranging fly ins-especially those who think they are going to be able to compete with you. But seriously, I need some guidance and I am not embarrassed to ask you. You are obviously an expert.

I hope that you will consider sharing even just a little bit of your expertise and that our infringing upon your "X" on the runway doesn't affect your decision to help me out or not.

Look forward to hearing from you. You can pm me, and you also have my cell and email. Thank you so much.

Just 4 attendees so far? And one half are the Fredericks’??

I just called Bev. Good thing, she didn't have the reservation I made before I left last year. Thankfully one cabin was still open.

Last year was my first at 6Y9 and I had every intention of coming this year but..... my schedule is a mess and there is no way I can free up until midweek after. Where is the 6Y9 2019 signup?

Last year was my first at 6Y9 and I had every intention of coming this year but..... my schedule is a mess and there is no way I can free up until midweek after. Where is the 6Y9 2019 signup?

We can work on a 2019 list as soon as this year is done. :)
Sorry you can't make it this year....we can always hope things will change around!

The "waves" work like dimples on a golf ball.:rolleyes: increased speed.
On take off they tell you when you are ready to lift off.
On landing they will remind you if you are still at flying speed or if you are ready to stay on the ground.

Just mowed it and all is well, will cut it again before all arrive .
Might cut a few trees for those out there that might be nervous before the big weekend.

Hmmmm I missed this thread, probably a good thing since I killed the other one. J somehow added myself twice, I am sure Ed has fixed that by now. The stars are in alignment, I have ordered up a dose of northern lights and an appearance by swatch. Let's see how that goes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Doc Chien has been in and out of there in his Seneca. The runway is about the same as Gaston’s as far as surface condition. A few more bumps in it.

Edit: also have seen an Apache there.
And a Widgeon

Only ELEVEN days until I'm wheels up, heading north!

But who's counting?

:happydance:

FTFM! ;)

I better start planning the flight. <looks at ForeFlight>

Hmmmmm...Pushing four hours.

Plan to stop somewhere along the way that has cheap gas.

Okay, now that THAT'S done, I better start packing.

:cheers:

And a Widgeon

Oh, THAT'S what that was. I thought it was Dr. Bruce's Seneca on some kind of duckbill platypus hormones!

small-cropped-widgeon-jpg.31232

There is a video on you tube, search 6y9 widgeon. I took that in 2013

Back