Cessna 182G rigging

AeroEng

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AeroEng
We were preflighting a Cessna 172G and noticed that when the aileron on the left side was aligned to the flap the right side was roughly an inch below the flap edge, and the control wheel is straight. If the aileron s are manually balanced left to right they droop a bit more than a half inch and the control wheel is about 29 degrees right.

I do not remember seeing this on a 172. Is this within limits? My concern was mostly about pushing tip stall as this effectively removes the washout. How much is too much?

Thanks!

We were preflighting a Cessna 172G and noticed that when the aileron on the left side was aligned to the flap the right side was roughly an inch below the flap edge, and the control wheel is straight. If the aileron s are manually balanced left to right they droop a bit more than a half inch and the control wheel is about 29 degrees right.

I do not remember seeing this on a 172. Is this within limits? My concern was mostly about pushing tip stall as this effectively removes the washout. How much is too much?

Thanks!
Grrr. It's a 172, not that it would make any difference.

Grrr. It's a 172, not that it would make any difference.
Want to find out the hard way?

It's not right. The manual calls for the ailerons to be lined up with the flaps, but those flaps have to be properly rigged so that they're all the way up. The ailerons probably won't line up with the wingtips once rigged, either.

Mechanics sometimes rig an aileron down to try to fix wing-heaviness. It doesn't work. The airflow will push that aileron up until the other side is down the same amount and the loads balance. The only cure for wing-heaviness is to adjust the eccentrics on the aft spars. Misrigging ailerons down costs speed and makes stall/spin behavior unpredictable.

Want to find out the hard way?

It's not right. The manual calls for the ailerons to be lined up with the flaps, but those flaps have to be properly rigged so that they're all the way up. The ailerons probably won't line up with the wingtips once rigged, either.

Mechanics sometimes rig an aileron down to try to fix wing-heaviness. It doesn't work. The airflow will push that aileron up until the other side is down the same amount and the loads balance. The only cure for wing-heaviness is to adjust the eccentrics on the aft spars. Misrigging ailerons down costs speed and makes stall/spin behavior unpredictable.

I talked with previous pilots. They said it flies with 15 degrees right wheel and has pretty poor climb. There is some rash on the upper right aileron skin neat the tip. I am thinking I want to see a lot more before I fly it.

Maybe a bent airframe and a attempt to get it to fly straight, maybe whoever owns it just doesn’t care.

Excellent link Aggie. I am going to recommend the owner look into taking it there. I was hoping someone knew the tolerances for rigging, but I am satisfied knowing others would be a bit jumpy about this much droop too.

Back