Kind of a Sad Commentary About our Young People

I don't consider low flow toilets or low flow shower heads an improvement at all. These things are only progressing in a positive direction if your yardstick is "greenness" and nothing else.

I just scored a couple of toilets that were made in 1962. I want high flow toilets. I live on a water well (no water bills) and on a septic system. I need something that will actually flush the crap down stream.

Someone told me that it may be possible to get 10 gallon per flush toilets in Mexico....

Glad to hear you can still get solid wood cabinets!

I agree about medical care. You mention heme/onc diseases; our daughter was cured of Hodgkin's Lymphoma. This is year 8, at least I hope she's still cured. I'm well aware of progress in the medical field. On the other hand there is also a lot of regression in the medical field too such as the unnecessary Cesarean rate. And for that matter the unreal rate of giving pills to kids and I'm not talking about the opioid epidemic, I'm talking about ADHD and statins! Instead of fixing the problem at the source, our horrible, horrible food supply. Another area with mixed results. Great progress in convenience, terrible progress for health. Entire aisles at the grocery store dedicated to HFCS soda!

You have some seriously good points on the overuse of the C-section! And throw in a little rant about ADHD/autism/spectrum disorders and you’ve hit a grand slam! ;)

I just scored a couple of toilets that were made in 1962. I want high flow toilets. I live on a water well (no water bills) and on a septic system. I need something that will actually flush the crap down stream.

Someone told me that it may be possible to get 10 gallon per flush toilets in Mexico....

I thought you Alaskans pooped in 5 gallon buckets?

Not to mention here we are decades later and who thinks we’ve surpassed Japanese auto makers in total quality? Nope... still not there. Hahahahaha.

I'll point out that even the worst quality vehicle by the US manufacturers is light years ahead of the 60's. And as much disdain as I have for anything from Government Motors, there are a lot of folks that compare current GM quality to Japan. (And that's notwithstanding that a really significant portion of the foreign-owned car manufacturers build a large portion of their cars here in the US). Ford's got a decent reputation, too. Chrysler/Jeep - well let's just say that some things just don't want to die.

I'll point out that even the worst quality vehicle by the US manufacturers is light years ahead of the 60's. And as much disdain as I have for anything from Government Motors, there are a lot of folks that compare current GM quality to Japan. (And that's notwithstanding that a really significant portion of the foreign-owned car manufacturers build a large portion of their cars here in the US). Ford's got a decent reputation, too. Chrysler/Jeep - well let's just say that some things just don't want to die.

Back in early 2008 I went into a car dealership which had Chevy and Toyota, before the economy really collapsed and auto companies had a bail out.
There was a great sign over the Toyota Camry Buy American, Made in Kentucky. I do not think I will ever forget that one, it just made my day.

Tim

Here's an article on what types of jobs that adults who are dealing with ADHD are well suited: https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/best-jobs. The author lists six job attributes of professions where adults with ADHD will thrive:
  • Interest
  • Urgency
  • Structure
  • Fast pace
  • Hands-on and creative
  • Entrepreneurial

Those attributes pretty much describe me to a tee. I hated school from 2nd grade on up through high school. I was at best a C/D student. I was always looking out the windows and day dreaming on what I was going to do once I got out of school for the day. Was I going to finish welding my fence panels. Was I gonna go fishing, or dirt bike riding. Was I going to work on my hot rod. I always had irons in the fire when I was growing up that had nothing do do with what I was learning in school. Back then they didn't have any diagnoses for ADHD. You were considered a "trouble maker" or a "class disrupter" which meant you got to spend a lot of time in the principals office. What's ironic about the whole deal... is my friends who were like me (ADHD) and often got into trouble are now very successful business/real estate owners with some of them actually employing the very same teachers who kept sending them to the principals office for disrupting the class. What do they say... "turnabout is fair play". :rofl:

And as much disdain as I have for anything from Government Motors, there are a lot of folks that compare current GM quality to Japan.

Depreciation numbers and actual repair numbers don’t bear that sentiment out, though. Mostly wishful thinking.

It’s not the assembly, that’s all done in southern tier states now for both. It’s the engineering decisions.

The really ugly quality thing they’re all doing now is touch screens. Those things are going to look hideously out of date in ten years and most will suffer a touch failure in that timeframe. Linking vehicle systems to those isn’t a great idea.

Same problem with touch screens in aircraft (even though I own one) but they have a LOT less cycles on them than cars used daily.

I saw one the other day out on the street with the trash. I would make my husband go grab it if we weren't probably going to move this year.

I wonder how the landscape would change if schools just kept 10% of your income for the first 10 years you had a job outside of college. I bet they would have a much bigger incentive to educate you well and set you up with a good career. They would actually, literally, be invested in your future

Anyway, pardon the thread drift!

They’d be invested in the 10% of students who choose top paying jobs and not care at all about the rest.

Plus what do they do if you graduate and decide not to use your degree. Call you and harass you like other debt collectors? “You are not living up to our calculated income potential.”

Talk about thread drift... Some low-flow toilets are TERRIBLE, especially the contractor grade ones that you typically get with new home construction. But some actually perform way better than the old-school models. Ya gots to do your research. We put 3 Toto Drakes in, very happy with them.

https://terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

I call shenanigans on this. The K12 education system has changed over time, but they still teach most of the same material as they did in the 60's.

If that it what you believe, you know very little—or are in denial—about what happens in the K12 education system today, both public and private. The actual statistics for proficiency in core subject areas are quite poor.

As someone who has had kids in 3 different K12 schools, and has talked with both public and private educators and administrators in multiple states in recent years, I can say with confidence that the distractions are real and growing, and the problem of derelict parents (a phenomenon not tied to income level) is real and growing. The bottom line is that society’s values have changed dramatically, largely starting in the 60s, and it’s tough for even the good schools to remain focused. School boards are political and private schools have to give the parents what they want, which is often more of a star athlete or “socially conscious” individual than a model of academic achievement.

Of course, this doesn’t describe every school or every parent, but the problem is quite pervasive in today’s K12 schools.

Last edited:
Why is school effectively only seven/eight months of the year?
Why do we have three months of summer vacation? For the harvest right?

Because teachers control the system and like their summers off ?

School should run 10 months with no more than 6 weeks off in the summer. Maybe make sure there is a spring and a Christmas break and work with self contained trimesters.

Because teachers control the system and like their summers off ?

School should run 10 months with no more than 6 weeks off in the summer. Maybe make sure there is a spring and a Christmas break and work with self contained trimesters.

I have seen a few studies that breaks longer than three weeks cause students to start forgetting material and increasing review time. The optimum is closer to two weeks.
The year around schooling for kids in NC from k-8 is based on this. You get X weeks of schooling then Y weeks off. If done right, can also reduce the capital costs for buildings, since in their case 1/4 of the students are always on break.

Tim

I have seen a few studies that breaks longer than three weeks cause students to start forgetting material and increasing review time. The optimum is closer to two weeks.
The year around schooling for kids in NC from k-8 is based on this. You get X weeks of schooling then Y weeks off. If done right, can also reduce the capital costs for buildings, since in their case 1/4 of the students are always on break.

Tim

Should also cut back on crime.

..and of course teacher pay would have to come up to account for the extra time. Otherwise you run into the same problem as today; lack of talent retention based on crappy teacher pay in the US. IOW: wish in one hand and ----- on the other see which one fills up first, wrt the extended school year/teacher pay dichotomy.

..and of course teacher pay would have to come up to account for the extra time. Otherwise you run into the same problem as today; lack of talent retention based on crappy teacher pay in the US.

Right now it gets paid as a part time job. If they worked full time they should get paid for their effort. It should also come with an office at the school and a timeclock to record attendance.

Back in early 2008 I went into a car dealership which had Chevy and Toyota, before the economy really collapsed and auto companies had a bail out.
There was a great sign over the Toyota Camry Buy American, Made in Kentucky. I do not think I will ever forget that one, it just made my day.

Tim

US parts content in many 'japanese' cars is higher than that for many Ford models that rely heavily on mexican subs.

..and of course teacher pay would have to come up to account for the extra time.

I can’t speak for everyone, but my daughter’s a teacher; her base pay and stipend minimums are set by law. Her pay is delivered 12x per year whether teaching or not. Instructional days are mandated by law in TX...minimum # of days students are in a classroom as well as the earliest day schools can begin instruction and the latest days schools can keep kids in class.

She would prefer shorter days year-round with shorter quarterly breaks. Legally, it can’t be done here.

She loops with her kids and says the ones that do some sort of summer enrichment/maintenance continually retain what has been taught better than those who don’t.

Thanks, interesting

Some low-flow toilets are TERRIBLE
I'm always tempted to flush them 5 or 6 times just to drive the point home. There was a great King of the Hill episode about low flow toilets. What's common around here is two buttons. Literally says "pee" or "poo' on them and one uses more or less water.. they actually work really well

I stand by my previous assertion that most colleges and universities aren’t in the business of preparing most students for the workforce.
that's for sure! That's why I figured if their paycheck depends on your work success it might help them be more invested in you. As it is now they don't give a crap how you do because they already got their money from somebody like Sallie Mae or SoFi

interestingly enough, it was really funny hearing Elizabeth Warren talk about how she wants to help students and solve the problems of the high costs of education when she gladly accepted $700,000 a from 2 years teaching at Harvard. I can't confirm but I think it was only one or two classes to top it off..

which honestly is fine, if someone's going to offer you that much money then go for it. But it seems a little hypocritical to then turn around and say that there is a problem with the high cost of education. Imagine if your town butcher started talking about how cruel meat farming was and everybody should be a vegan, but kept butchering animals?? (mind you, I am an unashamed carnivore)

If you need a 10 gallon toilet you should probably work on your diet.

:lol::lol::lol:

it doesn't hold ten gallons, it uses 10 gallons of water per flush....which is good for the septic system.

Actually looking for a Ferguson Toilet.

It's the Stradivarius of toilets.... The toilets today aren't worthy of the name. They come in designer colors and are too low, and when you flush it makes this weak almost apologetic sound. Not the Ferguson. It only comes in white and when you flush it, Baaahh WHOOSH....:lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

it doesn't hold ten gallons, it uses 10 gallons of water per flush....which is good for the septic system.

Actually looking for a Ferguson Toilet.

It's the Stradivarius of toilets.... The toilets today aren't worthy of the name. They come in designer colors and are too low, and when you flush it makes this weak almost apologetic sound. Not the Ferguson. It only comes in white and when you flush it, Baaahh WHOOSH....:lol::lol:
For some reason I am thinking that this thread is circling the drain. Enjoy the Go!

What you just described is not a problem with K12 curriculum or teaching method. It’s a problem with parents and societal issues. You specifically called out derelict parents, which was precisely the point I made. Schools (public or private) can’t educate children who have no interest in school, and no support from the home. If a child wants to learn and has support from their parents, they will generally do well in just about any school. Again, the biggest determinant of a child’s educational performance is the parents’ involvement, not the teaching method or school system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way I’d ever sign a contract with a school to essentially garnish my wages in order to earn their diploma.

Especially if I had to do that and still take out student loans.

I stand by my previous assertion that most colleges and universities aren’t in the business of preparing most students for the workforce.

It's probably because, at least originally, universities were not intended to prepare you for the workforce, but to give you a "rounded" education.

Very few professions truly require BS degree and usually they require you to go to “trade” school after anyway. Medicine, law...

Otherwise, the only value is in letting potential employers know that you can hack it and are trainable. And networking. That’s about it.

Since HS deploma doesn’t guarantee anything these days and there are lots of college graduates to chose from, it’s becoming a defacto standard in many fields.

When my son went into the marine reserves about two years ago we got to talking with a non-com at the local station who was helping out.
This was a retired Navy Sargent I assume, I never did ask rank because he was just called sarge, he said the ASVAB has changed over the years. As the military has become more technically advanced, the test has become harder. It has gone less from a pure potential to also include a measure of existing knowledge.

As for fat shaming, depends on how it was done. I have seen one recruiter laugh point blank at an applicant with dreams of special forces (yeah, the kid was beyond obese), to another stating a little more diplomatically that there are physical requirements to get into the military. You need to be able to run X in Y, do Z pushups....

Tim
There is nothing wrong with laughing at a fat kid for wanting to be special ops.

There is nothing wrong with laughing at a fat kid for wanting to be special ops.

Care to defend this statement? I mean you might be right, maybe that will motivate the fat kid to get healthy. It just seems a bit mean.

When I was finishing my lame BA double major I was talking to a friend about possibly staying in school and getting an engineering degree and he burst out laughing and said, "Yeah right, you walking around with one of those calculator holsters on your belt." Well that was it, there was no way I was not going to do it now. I never bought a calculator holster though.

So maybe you're right.

Since HS deploma doesn’t guarantee anything these days and there are lots of college graduates to chose from, it’s becoming a defacto standard in many fields.

Unfortunately, neither does a Bachelors degree.

I can only speak for my family, but, I Retired at 42, and my wife retired at 28! It is much easier than most believe, but, you cannot follow a traditional track. You have to stair step your way up housing, cars, etc. you cannot take a passive interest in your finances. Forgo traditional 401K’s, and learn about the stock markets, bonds, real estate, etc.

In America, we are way to passive!

Go to college, they will teach you what you need!

Invest in a 401K, or TSP, etc, they will grow your money!

Put your kids in school, they will teach your kids what they need to become a functional citizen!

Way to passive for me!

I joined the Army at 17, left at 42 and realized long ago that the USA is stacked against you!

It is my job, my kids job, to keep as much of my income as possible and only spend it where and when I want. We are bombarded with reasons to spend money, ****** houses, college, clothing, etc.

We moved from slavery (thank goodness) to indebted servants!

Life is very much like aviation. You finally can afford a plane and everyone wants a piece of the pie from you as you use it.

Financial independence and retired early is the greatest gift I hope to give my children, but, when I talk about it, people think I’m nuts. As they cannot understand it.

A terrible parent is not one that leaves their kids at home, or let’s them go explore the neighborhood.

A terrible parent has fat kids, who are already diabetic as a teenager. Our granny state is butt backwards.

A terrible parent is not one that leaves their kids at home, or let’s them go explore the neighborhood.

A terrible parent has fat kids, who are already diabetic as a teenager. Our granny state is butt backwards.

Hmmm, interesting perspective. You might have something there. It’s undiciplined parenting. It’s not this generation, it’s the prior. And who raised the prior generation?

Sins of the father and all that.

Otherwise, the only value is in letting potential employers know that you can hack it and are trainable. And networking. That’s about it.
When hiring someone, that is extremely valuable information.

"Let's see, should I hire this guy with no credentials or evidence of ability, or should I hire this guy that has proven that he can hack it and is trainable?"

When hiring someone, that is extremely valuable information.

"Let's see, should I hire this guy with no credentials or evidence of ability, or should I hire this guy that has proven that he can hack it and is trainable?"

The high school diploma used to be that device. But ever since the idea of "No Child Left Behind" and the such, the bar is so low everyone has one. So what is the next bar, the college degree. But not all degrees are equal, and many are as equally useless.

College has really just become High School 2.0, just another way to put off responsibility and adulthood for another four years. The bad thing is these kids are allowed to borrow to the hilt to fund the first four years of their adult life, and most are totally unprepared for it. My alma mater prided itself on being a "highly selective" school and having a high graduation rate...50% of freshman graduate.

The high school diploma used to be that device. But ever since the idea of "No Child Left Behind" and the such, the bar is so low everyone has one. So what is the next bar, the college degree. But not all degrees are equal, and many are as equally useless.

College has really just become High School 2.0, just another way to put off responsibility and adulthood for another four years. The bad thing is these kids are allowed to borrow to the hilt to fund the first four years of their adult life, and most are totally unprepared for it. My alma mater prided itself on being a "highly selective" school and having a high graduation rate...50% of freshman graduate.
Every word of that is pure . . .

truth.

Back