which C172 for spins?

alanbreck

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AlanB
I’m sure this information is readily available in cyberspace, but I'd rather be lazy and ask the question of the experts here …

Which model (or models) of C172 is/are approved for spins?

Thanks.

Most of them, including the newest G1000 NAV IIIs. If you have a particular one in mind, best to check the POH or AFM. It will tell you whether that specific one is approved.

If the question is whether an FBO will allow you to spin one, that's a completely separate question.

IIRC, you'd have to do some really funny tricks to properly load a R or S model 172 to get it in the utility category.

The most important part is, "The baggage compartment and rear seat must not be occupied." I remember a story as a kid about someone doing one with a passenger in the back seat and they had to get him to unbuckle and move forward so they could recover.

Continuing, R172E and R172F (Airforce T41 series) are approved. R172G, H, K, and J are approved.

rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/cb2bfe3bb96650ff86257ed2006aa7b5/$FILE/3A17_Rev_47.pdf

Looks to me like just about all of them are except 172RG and 172s with floats installed. Now that TCDS data assumes stock airplanes that have not been altered by installation of aftermarket mods such but not limited to, wing extensions, extended range fuel tanks, engines, propellers, STOHL kits, air conditioning systems, BRS airframe parachutes, etc.

Also assumes there are no airworthiness directives prohibiting spins.

Even the models “approved” for spins will hardly do so. It’s been a few decades, but the last time I spun one, with the control column held to the full up stop, and the rudder to the floor, the airplane would barely spin - after just one turn it would just fly out of the maneuver, with the stick back and pedal to the floor! Go fly a Citabria for spins; it will spin up like a top, and after 3 or 4 turns, it’s pretty exciting. But as soon as you release the back pressure and step on the opposite pedal it stops.

An old timer who's taught me a lot, after hearing he-man talk of spinning 182s and the like, once said "I don't want to spin a plane I'm going to fly IFR." Old gyros fail enough through normal use, so I thought that seemed like pretty good advice.

I've done them in a L and M
And I spun our 'F' (which was built at a T41A) seven or eight times. Much harder to spin than a 150, and it recovered as soon as I started the PARE sequence. I still don't like spins.

I agree with j1b3h0. A 172 just doesn't want to spin worth much. You'd be better off in a 150/152 if you have to spin a Cessna.
If you're brave, find a tomahawk.

Back