Would you do this?

If it’ll help improve safety, I wouldn’t be opposed to it.

If you have a transponder, isn't much of your basic flight data already captured? Especially if you are engaged in flight following or an IFR flight plan?

If you have a transponder, isn't much of your basic flight data already captured? Especially if you are engaged in flight following or an IFR flight plan?

It is, but that doesn't mean I'd want to make t any easier to tie me to any mistakes I made.

It's for the children...... I won't unless a law makes me.

“For instance,” Stein says, “maybe the data will show that most of the GA flights going into a particular airport have a steeper descent than they ought to. Once we identify a trend like that, we can look at why it’s occurring.”

How is "steeper than ought to" defined, and why would it be a safety issue if some pilots choose to not drag it in with power?

Many of us already have this capability.
Unfortunately, simply collecting data does nothing to improve safety, despite what the article says.

Nauga,
and his causality

I agree. ADS-B results in availability of more data than most pilots want others to know. The app will n the link appears to be redundant and unnecessary.

This seems like a solution looking for a problem.
Maybe if they started with a premise of how it has helped airlines, then we can see if it may apply to GA.
However, in GA, you look at the major causes of accidents, I do not see how this helps. Fuel starvation/exhaustion. CFIT. Stalls....

Tim

I didn't see that this is anonymized and I'd be wary of it.
Right from the article (bolding mine):

when users have access to the Internet, they can hit a button to upload the data — with identifying information removed — to a repository called the National General Aviation Flight Information Database [NGAFID], which then provides the data securely to MITRE.

A bunch of years ago, several insurance companies were offering lower rates if you agreed to install and use a tracking device in the car that they were insuring. All in an effort to make driving safer.

I declined.

A bunch of years ago, several insurance companies were offering lower rates if you agreed to install and use a tracking device in the car that they were insuring. All in an effort to make driving safer.

I declined.

And the rates weren’t any significantly lower for those who did it. Not even 10%. Definitely not worth it.

The gadget was an OBD port powered GPS and set of accelerometers and a microcontroller to store it all. Nowadays the car has the accelerometers and the crash storage so no need to plug in a gadget. It’ll soon be just part of the accident investigation to plug in and retrieve the data if the computer survived the crash.

And the rates weren’t any significantly lower for those who did it. Not even 10%. Definitely not worth it.

The gadget was an OBD port powered GPS and set of accelerometers and a microcontroller to store it all. Nowadays the car has the accelerometers and the crash storage so no need to plug in a gadget. It’ll soon be just part of the accident investigation to plug in and retrieve the data if the computer survived the crash.

JH - thanks. I didn't catch that when I read the article. I had the same experience with the nanny device in my car. I got no discount so I eventually took it out.

https://generalaviationnews.com/2015/09/09/new-app-released-to-increase-ga-safety/

This seems to me to be the equivalent of putting a black box in your car that tells the cops when you speed, in the name of gathering traffic safety data. I didn't see that this is anonymized and I'd be wary of it.

latest

I declined.
I received one of those when I changed insurance companies, read up on it and found one of the major red flags was frequent hard braking, considering how often idiot tourists(and locals) misjudge how fast a car going 55 MPH is closing on them when they pull out into traffic, I too declined.

Anyone else notice this is old news? Article is from 2015.

Relax, Mouse has forgotten that the "LoL" in your name isn't Laugh Out Loud a la texting and the interweb. How's the weather up there in Lincoln-Land?

Hot and muggy. It's August! Fortunately it's been a bit cooler lately than it has been. My flight school has been closed - runway lighting work. I think we are getting a new VASI on a runway that didn't have one before. Moving up in the world! :D

I get email alerts from GA News and it popped into my inbox today. I usually glance at their articles after my alarm goes off and before I get out of bed. I hope the mighty @Anymouse can find it within his bold and noble heart to forgive such a transgression from a mere peasant.

@LOL - I think your curiosity is cool, but you’ve no doubt noticed there area few cermudgons on this forum who have never seen an “app” they like. Like many others, I fly for a living. And the machine I’m paid to operate is only two rectal probes and a video recorder shy of recording-measuring every conceivable thing some FED and or the company or the aircraft/engine manufacturers wants to know about every minute of my or its performance. The machine costs near $100M. I get why, in the interests of public safety, the FAA, the NTSB, Boeing and the airline have gone to all the trouble.
Howerver, in my personal life I fly for fun, and hopping in a basic little airplane equipped with little more than a stick, rudder pedals, throttle and a few gauges, and the ability to go where I wish,...anonnomysly, sans rectal probes is more to my liking. The WAY I fly is none of anyone’s business, it’s why ADS-B ****es me off: Big Brother.
Sorry, rant off.

No.

I often hear the argument of "well if you're not doing anything illegal then what do you have to worry about?" But that's besides the point, there is an inherent invasion of your personal rights to be in a state of constant surveillance. Imagine having a member of law enforcement living in your house with you. If you're not doing anything illegal you have nothing to worry about, right? But most people would turn that offer down

@LOL - I think your curiosity is cool, but you’ve no doubt noticed there area few cermudgons on this forum who have never seen an “app” they like. Like many others, I fly for a living. And the machine I’m paid to operate is only two rectal probes and a video recorder shy of recording-measuring every conceivable thing some FED and or the company or the aircraft/engine manufacturers wants to know about every minute of my or its performance. The machine costs near $100M. I get why, in the interests of public safety, the FAA, the NTSB, Boeing and the airline have gone to all the trouble.
Howerver, in my personal life I fly for fun, and hopping in a basic little airplane equipped with little more than a stick, rudder pedals, throttle and a few gauges, and the ability to go where I wish,...anonnomysly, sans rectal probes is more to my liking. The WAY I fly is none of anyone’s business, it’s why ADS-B ****es me off: Big Brother.
Sorry, rant off.

Oh it does me too. I proudly carry my Young Curmudgeon Club membership card. I wouldn't want the thing, despite understanding the "why" of the situation. I've actively tried to figure out how to disable the EDR in my car without deploying the airbags (the two circuits are tied together).

No.

I often hear the argument of "well if you're not doing anything illegal then what do you have to worry about?" But that's besides the point, there is an inherent invasion of your personal rights to be in a state of constant surveillance. Imagine having a member of law enforcement living in your house with you. If you're not doing anything illegal you have nothing to worry about, right? But most people would turn that offer down

Well I liken it to: bumping uglies with my wife. Ya were doing nothin wrong (and don’t live in a southern state ), but would I really want someone present?

In summary, we all have different views and reasons for carrying out certain actions. Even if we do nothing illegal someone is gonna Monday night quarterback me. So negative ghost rider, no Uncle Sam observing my activities

Right from the article (bolding mine):

when users have access to the Internet, they can hit a button to upload the data — with identifying information removed — to a repository called the National General Aviation Flight Information Database [NGAFID], which then provides the data securely to MITRE.

Unless it isn't removed, or isn't secure. You know, someone effs up? OPM, VA, Target, Home Depot, every MVA in America, OPM, VA, several mortgage companies, Google, OPM, VA. . .you'd have to trust the folks doing it are both honest and competent, with no way to assure either is the reality.

I bought a new car in 2016. There was a, disclaimer I guess you’d call it, about that.

I use recorded data from my GPS, AHRS, and engine monitor for my own purposes. It has yet to leap off my storage media and into the public eye.

Nauga,
analytically

I received one of those when I changed insurance companies, read up on it and found one of the major red flags was frequent hard braking, considering how often idiot tourists(and locals) misjudge how fast a car going 55 MPH is closing on them when they pull out into traffic, I too declined.
Hard braking is almost 100% controllable by the driver. If you don't believe me, ask any truck driver that works for a company which measures (and terminates employment for) excessive hard braking events. Add and maintain an extra 10' (for a car, 25' in a semi) of space between you and those in front of you and 99% of your hard braking events go away.

Back