Advice on earning flight hours

Rabbit

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rabbit
Apologies if this has been covered, I did try searching the forums first.

I'm not wealthy but I live comfortably. My wife wants a baby so I'm dreaming big on a budget.

Once I get my PPL, I have to ask myself how I'm going to continue logging hours to qualify CPL. Ideally, I'd love to volunteer for a local agency like the sheriff or fire department or a charity and get my hours that way. I don't mind getting my hands dirty or working for free. Of course FAR considers flight hours a form of compensation so it seems paying for fees, fuel, etc. is unavoidable even when volunteering.

Has anyone out there found methods to achieve their flight hours in a slightly more cost-effective way? Making friends and working part-time for an FBO seem like good options to get discounts on rentals. I don't want to circumvent the system or take shortcuts, but it would be nice to save a buck where/if possible. After CPL, it seems there are ample opportunities to log hours, volunteer or not.

Suggestions or advice appreciated.
-------------------------------
Here are some compiled suggestions I've received so far. Thanks everyone for your contributions:
  • Join an aviation club
  • Make friends to split time with. Good friends and maybe you fly free :)
  • Buy a plane to learn i.e. 150/152 or similar (around $18-20k seems to be the average)
  • Buy (build?) an ultralight like a N3 Pup or similar
  • Volunteer/work for Civil Air Patrol
  • Hang out at the airport, make friends, network, look for opportunities
    • Work odd jobs for acquaintances you make; make yourself known
  • Join an EAA chapter and other pilot organizations
  • Military (getting paid to learn is always nice)
  • Find someone who has a plane but can't/doesn't fly it and offer to rent it from them, possibly at below the average rental rate
And still my favorite:
  • Whatever you fly, fly slow and maximize hours/dollar spent :thumbsup:

Last edited:
0831774c8d3d552077e48d25d7a863d1.jpg

Most economic bet, buy something like a N3 pup with a N number and build hours in it, or if you live somewhere with a good glider club, also if you know of anyone else trying to build time look up shotgunning hours.

1. join a club, usually cheaper than renting by yourself
2. buy a cessna 150/152...usually between $12k-$18k, then sell it later
3. check out local Civil Air Patrol...there are pros and cons, but it is possible to build hours cheaper than paying rent

2. buy a cessna 150/152...usually between $12k-$18k, then sell it later

The 150's seem affordable but the 152's are $37k minimum on controller.com. Is there somewhere else I could look?

3. check out local Civil Air Patrol...there are pros and cons, but it is possible to build hours cheaper than paying rent

Would definitely like to know more about this. My first flights were with CAP. Is it because they probably own their planes and I could avoid rental fees? And I assume I would likely be involved in discovery flights or relocating the plane itself?

Welcome,join a club with like minded pilots,or buy a cheap airplane.

What’s the mission? Only to build hours? Take any trips with wife or friend? That will help you decide what to do. To just build hours you can fly a lightsport or 152 pretty cheaply but your not going anywhere with anybody and will need to find a cfi on the light side too!

I'm not wealthy but I live comfortably. My wife wants a baby so I'm dreaming big on a budget.

Once I get my PPL, I have to ask myself how I'm going to continue logging hours to qualify CPL. Ideally, I'd love to volunteer for a local agency like the sheriff or fire department or a charity and get my hours that way. I don't mind getting my hands dirty or working for free. Of course FAR considers flight hours a form of compensation so it seems paying for fees, fuel, etc. is unavoidable even when volunteering.

Has anyone out there found methods to achieve their flight hours in a slightly more cost-effective way? Making friends and working part-time for an FBO seem like good options to get discounts on rentals. I don't want to circumvent the system or take shortcuts, but it would be nice to save a buck where/if possible. After CPL, it seems there are ample opportunities to log hours, volunteer or not.

I'm interested in this as well. I'm working on endorsements right now but once I am done I am leaning towards the "purchase" idea if I can find inexpensive storage, because the club dues in my area are often more than the payment on the aircraft would be.

Thank you everyone for your tips. I've got some ideas churning so now it's time for more research. o7

Whether you rent or buy, fly something *slow*, so that you get a lot of hours per dollar.

Hours/dollar :rofl: Great idea and doubles for fuel efficiency in many cases! I'll work that into my cost calculations.

Thank you everyone for your tips. I've got some ideas churning so now it's time for more research. o7

Hours/dollar :rofl: Great idea and doubles for fuel efficiency in many cases! I'll work that into my cost calculations.

Hey Rabbit, PM if you want to discuss strategies. I'm in St. Louis.

The military solved my hour problem. ;)

The police / fire route is more about who you know and being in the right place. They also don’t take low time pilots.

Hang out at the local aerdrome, join the local EAA Chapter, and local pilot organizations.

This approach worked for me. Only problem with it is that I ended up with a second and third job and spending all my free time at the airport. I guess life could be worse...

This approach worked for me. Only problem with it is that I ended up with a second and third job and spending all my free time at the airport. I guess life could be worse...

I would honestly prefer to volunteer and have flexibility than have a 2nd part-time job unless the job itself is flexible. My current job is already long hours and though the wife is encouraging me, I know she's going to be bummed out that I'm not spending as much time at home.

There's probably an entire row of Citation X's down in Cartel territory. I'm sure they'd take a low time pilot and give you lots and lots of hours :) You could be the new Barry Seal :)

Seriously, it's too bad you can't find another like minded, similar experienced pilot. Go half on a 172 or Archer with a 430 or better. Take turns with hood work, etc to work thru your IR and Commercial.

Or maybe you could put up flyers at a few local airports and see if someone who isn't flying much would rent you their plane. My wife's friend managed around 30hrs flying an older guys 172, he had lost his medical and didn't want it just sitting there. He probably rode with 15% of the time.

I would honestly prefer to volunteer and have flexibility than have a 2nd part-time job unless the job itself is flexible. My current job is already long hours and though the wife is encouraging me, I know she's going to be bummed out that I'm not spending as much time at home.

My "jobs" are flexible, but when I'm not at one place I'm at the other. What ends up happening at many small airports is that the more you are around, the more involved you end up becoming and people ask you to help them out. After you start helping out around the airport the flying opportunities generally seem to follow. It's great for someone trying to build time or earn certificates/ratings but not so good for family life or even getting things done around the house.

Just my observation, but if you limit how much time you spend at the airport it will probably limit how many opportunities you'll get. I earned my commercial single engine land and sea, plus multiengine, and mechanic certificate for next to nothing (except time) simply because I was around to mow, plow snow, and help people out. I also have an open invitation to fly about a dozen really nice airplanes whenever I want, but it has taken a lot of time to build that kind of relationship with the other guys at the airport.

Or maybe you could put up flyers at a few local airports and see if someone who isn't flying much would rent you their plane. My wife's friend managed around 30hrs flying an older guys 172, he had lost his medical and didn't want it just sitting there. He probably rode with 15% of the time.

That's an intriguing idea. I'd rather rent my vacant house than let it sit there so that makes a ton of sense. He/she may have a fairly low rate if it's a 1-on-1 agreement too. Thanks!

Just my observation, but if you limit how much time you spend at the airport it will probably limit how many opportunities you'll get. I earned my commercial single engine land and sea, plus multiengine, and mechanic certificate for next to nothing (except time) simply because I was around to mow, plow snow, and help people out. I also have an open invitation to fly about a dozen really nice airplanes whenever I want, but it has taken a lot of time to build that kind of relationship with the other guys at the airport.

Copy that. Odd jobs and whatnot would be fine I just wouldn't want to commit to a schedule. Happy wife, happy life and all that jazz... Fortunately, the metro airport is 20 minutes from my house and a small airfield is 7 minutes. I wouldn't mind making it a routine to stop by after work during my AM shifts. A local brewery just renovated a very old, rundown hangar by that airfield and opened shop. I bet that place is a haven for local aviation enthusiasts.

The first 100 hours are so are tough to get past if you don't have the budget to just pay for it outright. I was young when I got my ratings, so I know that situation well.

Sheriff/Police/etc. won't let you fly as a volunteer. You need to first get fully qualified as law enforcement and usually have to be a cop/trooper/whatever before you can pursue aviation.

CAP can be a great option if you like the organization (hopefully we can avoid the tear-CAP-apart discussion here, there are lots of those already). As a low-time pilot, your only formal option is to rent the CAP planes for proficiency flying (the definition of which is broad). The rates are low and the aircraft are well-maintained. I think it's $57/hr. plus fuel for a 172. You may get lucky sometimes and fly with people who will let you take the left seat on mission work to help build hours.

When you have 100 hours PIC, you can get qualified as a Transport Mission Pilot, which allows you to fly on transport missions. To fly as a cadet orientation pilot or SAR/DR mission pilot, you need 200 hours PIC. The real value for a low time pilot is training as an aircrew member. I got a lot of practical experience this way.

I've heard of stories where guys left letters on every plane on the ramp offering to help the owner put hours on it to help keep the engine healthy. Maybe offering to do some of the chores like updating the databases, washing and caring for the plane, etc. would help get a conversation started.

Buy a cheap slow airplane and fly. You can always sell it when you outgrow it. It gets boring but that’s what it takes. No agency is going to want a low time volunteer.
Just don’t do what I witnessed Dean students doing (yeah that Dean in FL) sitting in a tied down airplane running up the Hobbs meter. I’ve seen it happen on numerous occasions. Sure is quiet at my airport (KIMM) since Dean has shut down.

Just don’t do what I witnessed Dean students doing (yeah that Dean in FL) sitting in a tied down airplane running up the Hobbs meter. I’ve seen it happen on numerous occasions. Sure is quiet at my airport (KIMM) since Dean has shut down.

Wow...well no one can accuse them of not being innovative. :idea:

Wouldn’t save them any money doing that, so I have no idea how it would apply to the OP’s question.

Sheriff/Police/etc. won't let you fly as a volunteer. You need to first get fully qualified as law enforcement and usually have to be a cop/trooper/whatever before you can pursue aviation.

Ditto. A volunteer is a liability as they can't make arrests...cops need cops in the air.

... sitting in a tied down airplane running up the Hobbs meter.

Why on earth would they do that? You have to pay for it anyway, why not go fly it?

Ditto. A volunteer is a liability as they can't make arrests...cops need cops in the air.

Not only that, but as it was explained to me when I was a pup and looking at all the aviation career options: They want you to be a law enforcement officer first and foremost. The aircraft is just another tool to do that, as are a police cruiser, handcuffs, or radar gun. If for some reason you lose flying status, you're still a LEO.

Why on earth would they do that? You have to pay for it anyway, why not go fly it?

Because a lot of them come from China, are forced by their parents to be pilots, and are actually scared sh*tless to fly an airplane. Well known phenomenon everywhere in FL.

-------------------------------
Here are some compiled suggestions I've received so far. Thanks everyone for your contributions:
  • Join an aviation club
  • Make friends to split time with. Good friends and maybe you fly free :)
  • Buy a plane to learn i.e. 150/152 or similar (around $18-20k seems to be the average)
  • Buy (build?) an ultralight like a N3 Pup or similar
  • Volunteer/work for Civil Air Patrol
  • Hang out at the airport, make friends, network, look for opportunities
    • Work odd jobs for acquaintances you make; make yourself known
  • Join an EAA chapter and other pilot organizations
  • Military (getting paid to learn is always nice)
  • Find someone who has a plane but can't/doesn't fly it and offer to rent it from them, possibly at below the average rental rate
And still my favorite:
  • Whatever you fly, fly slow and maximize hours/dollar spent :thumbsup:

First and foremost, Welcome to POA!

Secondly, not sure what FAR's you are referring to but flight hours are NOT a form of compensation. I assume you are referring to the whole "Pro rata share thing". I can see where this can be tricky. That just says for example, lets say you fly 3 passengers, those passengers cannot pay more than 75% of the cost of the flight while you pay less than 25%.
Let's say you safety pilot for someone in their airplane, that doesn't mean that you have to pay your "half" of the cost, you can legally pay zero, while logging PIC time. It also does not mean that you can not ferry a plane for the local flight school to the radio shop at no cost to you.

All that being said, safety pilot is a great option. However that will require getting to know some instrument pilots (or possibly students) that could use or hell just even want a safety pilot.

CAP could be an option for you. Different squadrons are different. If you get in a good one that has an airplane (heads up not all of them do), you will have to pay for your flight time (though pretty reasonable compared to average) until you are signed off as a CAP pilot, meaning training and all that. They don't just say, oh gee, you have a PPL, here are the keys! While you can get some hours here, joining CAP is not going to get you the hours you need for ATP in this century, you should probably have other reasons for joining.

Honestly, reading you post I think you have the right ideas. Make friends that like to fly, split time, safety pilot, whatever you can do to log time. Wish you the best of luck!

Because a lot of them come from China, are forced by their parents to be pilots, and are actually scared sh*tless to fly an airplane. Well known phenomenon everywhere in FL.
There are a couple of YouTube videos with ATC struggling to communicate with such pilots, who appear to be lost in the air (lost as in not knowing what they are doing.) And yet some school signed them off to solo!
Back to the subject at hand, an older 172 shared between two people worked well for us. We never flew more than 250 hours a year total, and then that number dropped as fuel prices went up and we realized that even though the Skyhawk was IFR legal, it really wasn't IFR capable.

Tow gliders, one of the few things you can get paid to do as a PPL. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I know guys with only a PPL that do this and get paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back