another complicated medical issuance - another day at my office!

lbfjrmd

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Senior AME/ATC AME
I am seeing this airman candidate tomorrow. Not only will it be a HIMS case, it requires coordination with the flight surgeon, the CO of applicants command AND the FAA. I spent 2 hours talking to the 4 parties involved today. It would have been helpful if the applicant had applied for this 3rd class immed. after inpatient Rx. Furthermore, applicant will learn that the time-frame will be close and the commitment to the eventual SI will be 5 years, unless applicant abandons civilian ticket after fulfilling IFS requirement. If applicant ever wants to fly in any civilian capacity while on active duty and after (say commercial pilot), it behooves one to do the whole deal now. If not, if future commercial flying is desired, this whole process will have to be repeated. Just ... another day in my neighborhood!

Dr. Fowler,

Good morning and I hope that you had a fantastic weekend! My name is X and I am an active duty Ensign, training to become a pilot in the Navy. I am writing in regards to the appointment I have with you which is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I apologize for the possible lengthiness of this, but my flight surgeon recommended that I email you in advance to explain my current situation.

I commissioned on 12 May 2017 and reported to NAS Pensacola on X 2017 for training. There was a waiting period of 4 months at the time so I did not begin any training until April 2018, almost a full year after commissioning. In that year I unfortunately dealt with a great deal of loss. The unexpected death of family members and losing a long term relationship. I used alcohol to cope with this. That is not normally who I am and I regret it every day.

In order to be proactive and be the most effective pilot possible, I sought help on my own accord through the Substance Abuse Response Program (SARP) on base, I quit drinking alcohol immediately, experienced moderate withdrawal symptoms, and because of this, I went to the doctor. I knew that was the right thing to do to be able to fly when the time came. I voluntarily completed a month of inpatient treatment at Bradford Health Services in Alabama during May 2018 in order to put my best foot forward upon resuming flight school.

I have spoken with my Flight Surgeon and all superiors in charge of my career progress in the Navy. They have all decided unanimously to retain me in the flight program and allow me to continue my training. I am overjoyed. This is everything I have worked for and dreamed of for as long as I can remember. However, my only road block is the FAA. Although the Navy wants me to continue flight training, I will not be able to if the waiting period for the FAA is longer than just a couple more months. If it is too long, the Navy will have to disenroll me completely and I am terrified of that happening.

What I need in order to complete my training and move along with my career is simply just a short term FAA Class III. I will only be flying with the FAA for 2-3 weeks in IFS. If I am cleared and allowed to do that, I will be able to continue my career. If I am not, the Navy will have to disenroll me and I will not be able to be a pilot. I hope that this is possible. The time period is the Navy's main concern. I have proof of sobriety since 25 April 2018 and last drink was 23 April 2018 so I have already been sober for quite some time.

I feel that it is also important to note that I was in no incident whatsoever concerning alcohol. No traffic violations, no legal issues or violations, no incidents with the Navy or the FAA. I am in good standing. I did not fly or drive intoxicated or break any other related rules. I simply tried to be proactive and seek help and I am glad that I did, but I do not want to lose everything I have worked for because of it. I have maintained sobriety for 105 consecutive days and have had no signs or symptoms of relapse whatsoever.

Here are the Accountability Measures and measures I have ALREADY taken to ensure my continued sobriety:

1. Complete 30 Day inpatient treatment From X
2. Enroll in SARP on base at NAS Pensacola
3. Attend weekly group therapy sessions at SARP and 1 on 1 therapy sessions (as needed)
4. Attend a minimum of 3 Alcoholics Anonymous meetings per week, get connected and work with a sponsor
5. Complete an online course with detailed resources to help with substance abuse
6. Participate in guaranteed weekly Urinalysis to ensure sobriety
7. Participate in random blood testing to ensure that I am maintaining sobriety
8. Complete additional continuing care coursework weekly in Navy issued workbooks
9. Joined a Crossfit gym owned by a former Marine and have been working that program daily
10. Maintained an EXTREMELY healthy whole foods diet
11. Study 4-5 hours per day for flight school

Here is the contact info to my Flight Surgeon and my Direct Superior so that you may contact them if needed, sir.
They both recommend I be able to continue flight training as soon as possible.

IFS Director
LCDR X
Email: X
Cell: X

Flight Surgeon
LT X USN
Email: X
Cell: X

Thank you for your time, Dr. Fowler. Again, I apologize for the length and repetitiveness of this email. This is everything that I have worked for and I am desperately hoping there is something I can do to continue IFS in the very near future. I am willing to think outside the box. I am looking forward to meeting with you tomorrow. If you need me to bring anything to the appointment or do anything else to speed up the process or provide you with more information regarding the situation, I will be happy to. Have a great day, sir.
Very Respectfully,

ENS X
United States Navy
Naval X Command
NAS Pensacola, Florida
X

Sad story. I hope it works out for the aspiring aviator!

Dr. Lou... thanks for sharing how you are assisting with his desire to fly "as a civilian".

Are you able to comment how this will affect his ability to fly as a naval aviator? Will this issue be a drag on future advancements and new postings?

We can prevail on the HIMS side. Applicant's command has informally agreed to a 4 to 5 month delay in applicant's training. I will do my best, when we reach 4 month, to plead for more time. Ideally i would like 6 months. They (the Navy) hate to see an ex-flight surgeon plead and cry! Being in Pensacola ... they know me and i know them!

Last edited:
Why is this a HIMS case? He needs a class 3 for flight school???

Well after my time there (87!) but the IFS is run by a civilian contractor (FBO/flight school) to get potential students up through solo and some flight time before they begin Navy flight school. I suspect that drives the Class III need.

Just a guess, but perhaps IFS is a civilian program?
I think you're right. Found this on a google search

Introductory Flight Screening is the first phase of flight school for people who don't have their private pilot's license already. John started IFS in November and finished in the beginning of February. During IFS, students complete 14 hours of flight training, and have to pass an FAA Private Pilot test, as well as complete a solo flight. When aviation students first get to Pensacola they are assigned to a local airport-- John was in Foley, Alabama. The length of IFS varies, because it depends on how backed up the program is and weather.
So if it is training through first solo, then obtaining an FAA Third will be one of the check boxes

Well after my time there (87!) but the IFS is run by a civilian contractor (FBO/flight school) to get potential students up through solo and some flight time before they begin Navy flight school. I suspect that drives the Class III need.

Is IFS a requirement for all prospective Naval Aviators?

Thank your for doing your legal best to help her, Doc. You never know when those with youthful indiscretions can learn from their experiences and be the true leaders of tomorrow.

correct! Intro Flight School ... select out early the aeronautical in-adept.

Dr. Lou... thanks for sharing how you are assisting with his desire to fly "as a civilian".

Are you able to comment how this will affect his ability to fly as a naval aviator? Will this issue be a drag on future advancements and new postings?

Navy currently requires an initial civilian phase - flying in civilian planes with CFI's. Navy has already cleared her alcohol issue. applicant needs a 3rd class for this short phase.

Navy currently requires an initial civilian phase - flying in civilian planes with CFI's. Navy has already cleared her alcohol issue. applicant needs a 3rd class for this short phase.
Likely, abuse SI auth’d on phone, as this pilot has dr O’brien’s criteria for immediate FAA review. This is one for Hims Psychiatrist concurrence and then the call.

Check email :).. Your candidate appears to meet criteria.
Is velly nice! I like!

two-thumbs-up.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back