Yet another PP Checkride

Hang 4

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Hang 4
Since this seems the week for checkride stories, I had mine today. Actually I had part 2 today as I busted the first time. Only had to redo a couple manuvers today and not much to say. On the bust, lots of lessons learned. Biggest suggestion I would have is to make sure you have some time to chill between flying to the checkride and diving in. I flew with my instructor for our 1 hour flight to the DPE the first time. Reason for the instructor was to be sure to get there as there is a good likely hood of IFR early in the morning in the SE mountains. We ended up filing IFR and I got some experience in actual. This was pretty stressful and we went right from that into the oral. I aced that and it was no more than an hour. Still running on pretty heavy adrenaline. We went out to fly and all was great in the beginning, did the diversion, picked up a VOR then went under the hood. First bust (though I wasn't aware), I flew outside the altitude limits and didn't correct. No problem on the unusual attitude and it was time for what for me was the easy stuff - had another altitude excursion on steep turn, which is the easiest on of all for me, usually I fly through my wake. We completed the ride, but failed. I was pretty crushed, but the DPE was pretty good about keeping my spirits up. It was a pretty turbulent day, which didn't help.

Scheduled the make-up for today and flew up solo the night before. Got a good night's sleep and was ready to go early in the AM. No issues at all.

Key takeaways for me. Get ready early, get a good night's sleep and make sure you have some time to eat and/or chill out if you have to fly there.

Haven't worked this hard on anything since maybe ever.. Ready to just fly for fun and enjoy for a few months, then get back in the groove for instrument.

Lot's of good help from other pilots writing about their experiences as well.

Thanks for all the congratulations.
Congrats! So... you boring holes in the sky yet? ;):p
I spent last night boring a hole in the sky, but on the way to Germany on business. Then leaving next weekend for a week of hang gliding competition in west Texas, so the Archer will be gathering a bit of dust for a couple weeks.

I'll be flying once I get back and keeping my eyes open for SE fly-ins.

Congrats! I worked crazy hard on mine too and was just brain fried once I was done. Felt great to just relax to fun fly for a few months...

Back