Changes to SFO Class Bravo

This new world is such a radical departure from what it was, there is going to be Bravo incursions all over the place!

What i find weird is that the Dublin/Concord corridor used to have a 6k base, and now the ends are at 7K and the middle is 5K. I do like the new corridor between the peninsula and OAK.

Brian

What i find weird is that the Dublin/Concord corridor used to have a 6k base, and now the ends are at 7K and the middle is 5K. I do like the new corridor between the peninsula and OAK.

Brian

Yes, the Dublin/Concord passage sucks now. They pushed us down due to all the departures they have from SFO. I guess they felt they needed more space. I use that area from time to time and usually going east, so now instead of 5500, I have to go at 3500 over less than forgiving terrain. I'm a big fan of altitude.

What's the improvement going from OAK to the peninsula? It looks just about the same I think.

What's the improvement going from OAK to the peninsula? It looks just about the same I think.

I think he means "This" (SW Bay Flyway) remaining below 2,100', but I've been using that route for years to fly from Oakland to San Carlos for cheap fuel and lunch at Sky Kitchen, so the only thing new is it's on the chart now (plus the straight line between VPBEH and VPBEG gives you a wider corridor between Bravo and Hayward Class D).

OAK%20to%20SQL%20Flyway_zps6b8kprbx.jpg

Last edited:
What a goat rope! Another nail in the coffin for GA. Just in time for the obligatory ADS-D rules, so they’ll be able to hang you from the highest tree if you slip up. In yet another example of bureaucratic overreach, ATC, the FAA or whoever thinks this stuff up has now made it even more of a PITA for any light VFR aircraft based at one of the few remaining Bay Area airports. At KHWD, where the the traffic pattern is already squashed down to 600agl on the larger runway, the TCA/Class B/and now Class C render any aircraft arriving from the north through east diving down to within less than 1000ft of the Castro Valley or Hayward hills, in order to get below the overlying Oakland airspace. Sucks, if you ask me.

What a goat rope! Another nail in the coffin for GA. Just in time for the obligatory ADS-D rules, so they’ll be able to hang you from the highest tree if you slip up. In yet another example of bureaucratic overreach, ATC, the FAA or whoever thinks this stuff up has now made it even more of a PITA for any light VFR aircraft based at one of the few remaining Bay Area airports. At KHWD, where the the traffic pattern is already squashed down to 600agl on the larger runway, the TCA/Class B/and now Class C render any aircraft arriving from the north through east diving down to within less than 1000ft of the Castro Valley or Hayward hills, in order to get below the overlying Oakland airspace. Sucks, if you ask me.
The floor of the class C over the Hayward hills will be exactly the same as it is now.

Holy crap what a mess. Thank God I do not live anywhere close to there ... (well for more reasons than just airspace)

Holy crap what a mess. Thank God I do not live anywhere close to there ... (well for more reasons than just airspace)
The silver lining is that if you can fly in this mess without busting somebody's airspace, you can probably fly anywhere with some level of confidence. When I first started flying here in the mid-sixties it was a lot different; the complexity has crept up on us and we've adapted. I'd hate to be a student pilot just starting out flying out of OAK, HWD, SQL, PAO, or RHV.

One of my sectionals from 1966. I used to fly T-34s from Vandenberg into Crissy Field AAF on weekends.
1966%20%20san%20francisco%20sectional%20med_zpswx6ix4aw.jpg

Is it common for Class Bravo airspace to extend beyond the Mode C veil?

I would not say it is typical, but at least the LAX class B and the Denver Class B do extend beyond the mode C veil. In places where one is under the B, but outside the mode C veil, ADS-B is not mandated. so my example of a flight between KRHV and KTCY but below the 7000/8000 foot floor outside of the 30 NM Mode C veil would be OK without ADS-B and aircraft based at KRHV would not be mandated to be equipped.

Today I downloaded the new U.S. aviation database into my Aera660. This is going to be fun. You can see tracks from several of my previous flights between KOAK and KSQL threading the airspace needle between SFO Bravo and HWD Delta.

Aera660%20with%20new%20SFO%20Class%20B_zpsqmuli03g.jpg

Back