• Don't fly enough, get's done at annual

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
Oil change time for me. I've always enjoyed changing my own oil. I send off samples to Blackstone and cut the filters to inspect/run a magnet. Gives me a chance to remove the cowls and look everything over. Just curious what most the other owners around here do.

oil.jpg

I change my own. I use the same stuff you do minus the camguard.

I'm going to change my oil tomorrow morning. Wish I had a hanger to perform the work in...

Don't own an airplane so I won't do the poll, but that is one cool fricken picture/airplane.

I change my own in the Twin Bonanza, we have an A&P change the oil in the Viking because it has a 50hr exhaust AD. The TBone lives outside, so oil changes in the winter really, really suck. I do usually nose it into the Viking hangar as close as I can get it so I have a covered place to keep supplies, etc. Worst part is dumping 20 quarts of cold oil into the engines when you're SO close to being done.

had A&P do the first one, I'm about to do the next one.

had A&P do the first one, I'm about to do the next one.

Same, except he did my first 2, because I wanted him to compare filters, as my first 1st one had 2 teeny slivers of nonferrous metal. He only charges $50 and I get to badger him with questions. I need to buy a filter cutter.

Same, except he did my first 2, because I wanted him to compare filters, as my first 1st one had 2 teeny slivers of nonferrous metal. He only charges $50 and I get to badger him with questions. I need to buy a filter cutter.
I don't know why I change my own oil, as my mechanic only charges $50 also...but I do.

I don't know why I change my own oil, as my mechanic only charges $50 also...but I do.

Because it allows you to put your own two eyes on everything beneath the cowl? And you give yourself a warm-fuzzy that things are indeed where they're supposed to be under there?

And nothing is missing?

Of falling off?

.......maybe?

;)

(consider this post to be your textual uptalking lesson!) :)

How about another option? Sometimes I change the oil, sometimes the shop does it at annual.

Because it allows you to put your own two eyes on everything beneath the cowl? And you give yourself a warm-fuzzy that things are indeed where they're supposed to be under there?

And nothing is missing?

Of falling off?

.......maybe?

;)

(consider this post to be your textual uptalking lesson!) :)

My A&P comes to my hangar. I usually remove everything I can before he gets there. That’s when I see stuff and load up on all my dumb questions. :p

Speaking of that hangar floor, how slick is that if you spill oil on it? When I was stationed at Kadena Air Base (Okinawa Japan) they came in and put epoxy down over the concrete floor which made it slicker than owl shirt. I hated that floor.

But Kevin, you and your friends could always strike up a rousing game of chess or checkers on it I guess.

I like it too, it just looks like it could be slick if something spilled on it.

The shop is required to change the oil at annual....isn't it?
No.

At least I don't THINK they are. I've had a few annuals without an oil change when I've only had a few hours on the oil at annual time.

No one has balked at my "no oil change" request yet. But, I typically see it coming and save the the oil filter pleats from my recent oil change for them to see.

No.

At least I don't THINK they are. I've had a few annuals without an oil change when I've only had a few hours on the oil at annual time.

No one has balked at my "no oil change" request yet. But, I typically see it coming and save the the oil filter pleats from my recent oil change for them to see.

Hmmmm. You may be right but every annual I've helped my mechanic with required an oil change, the filter cut open, compression's checked, sparks plugs removed cleaned and gapped or replaced etc. I honestly don't know but I need to find out.

It's not required by FAR 43 appendix D, but it may be required by the manufacturers annual checklist in the FAA approved maintenance manual. It is required for mine.

Good point. Every airplane I've worked on so far required it. I haven't worked on every airplane.

My shop doesn’t require it at annual but they do want it inspect the filter. I cut my filters unless an annual is near. Then I save it and give it to them to cut and inspect.

Actually, let me correct myself. They are not required to CHANGE the oil in my AMM checklist. They are required to DRAIN it, and check the oil screen, and to replace the oil filter (if installed) and to cut apart and check the oil filter, but there is nothing that says they cannot re-use the drained oil if it still has time on it. Can't say I've ever seen it done, but I only use 6 quarts. I might think differently if I had 24 quarts of low-time oil in a pair of IO470s.

Hey @Radar Contact and @Timbeck2, do you mofos see me trying to do ATC?! No! I leave that to the pros. I suggest you do the same with maintenance. Damn wannabes!!
Really?

If I can't change your own oil, then I'm not smart enough to fly an airplane. As doctor Bruce would say...

Stay outa my sky!

Kidding...

...just like you were.

may be required by the manufacturers annual checklist in the FAA approved maintenance manual. It is required for mine.

I was not aware of this. It sure seems like a ridiculous rule that could do with some modification.
"I have 1 hour on that oil and now it's annual time, so they toss that oil and filter; plus the info from analysis and filter inspection is useless to anyone"
The requirement should be worded to allow for circumstances in which the oil was recently changed. "Filter exam and oil analysis 1 hour previous to this inspection were normal."

I too know people who told the shop the oil was just changed, please don't change it - then it was, by rote, changed. Argh. Must feel silly watching honey colored oil go into the waste tank.

Really?

If I can't change your own oil, then I'm not smart enough to fly an airplane. As doctor Bruce would say...

Stay outa my sky!

Kidding...

...just like you were.

Huh? What makes you think I was kidding? Did you see a;) or :D?? Geesh.

I have 5 hours on the oil that I drained from my airplane for the condition inspection, I saved it in clean containers and use it as make up oil until the next drain interval.

I’m the builder and repairman for my RV10. She thinks I’m a Pro.

IO-540 gets drained tested and the filter cut about every third change. She get 7 quarts of 50W or multigrade (with Camguard) depending on the season. 7 quarts registers as 6 and will require 1 additional quart to stay there over 50 hours.

I’ve never not spilled some oil on something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Speaking of oil changes, does anyone have a generic list of tools and supplies needed?
I have a friend asking for instruction, could write it myself but hate to reinvent the wheel.

oil, filter, DC-4 unless you're using a filter that doesn't require lubrication prior to install, safety wire and pliers, torque wrench with 1" socket, drain bucket, length of hose to attach to the quick drain, rags, funnel and assorted curse words.

Im thinking work clothes too, this gent is always well dressed.
Log book entry examples.
Ziplock bags for the filter removal.
Thanks.

We do our own most of the time. Once in a while if it’s in the shop we’ll splurge and let them do it.

Me, though last year it was changed at annual, but that was also by me since I do owner assist.

I alternate changing oil with the mechanic.

Im thinking work clothes too, this gent is always well dressed.
Log book entry examples.
Ziplock bags for the filter removal.
Thanks.

I drop the filters into tin soup cans that are just a bit larger diameter, let them drain overnight and cut them open the next day. I am not a big believer in oil analysis, but what is in the cans is the sample that goes in if I do.

The turning axis on my IO-540 filters is horizontal. So I cut open one of the plastic quart oil containers lengthwise and I slip it under the filter, up tight against the engine, before I spin the filter off. It catches ALL the drips and keeps everything below clean. I used to pack that area with old rags or shop towel to catch the dripping oil, but I could never seem to get those out of there without some from ending up down the back of the motor.

Back