2P2

GreatLakesFlying

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leo
Has anyone here flown to 2P2 (Washington Island, WI), preferably from the south of the area? I am looking for tips and advice about route, choices for refueling (e.g., Sturgeon Bay or Ephraim), when to refuel (outbound or inbound), etc.

The way I am planning it is to depart 06C, direct FAH, then KSUE or 3D2 for refueling, then direct 2P2, cruising at 5500 or 7500 to stay above KMKE's airspace.

KSUE is a much nicer airport than 3D2. Better and longer runways, and its attended.

On the other hand, 3D2 is an excellent destination. Other small airports should take a lesson in how to interact with the local population!

3D2 has a "friends of the airport" type group that solicited a bunch of local business owners for some money and did some marketing while they were at it. They got enough money to put a courtesy car and about eight bikes at the airport for pilots to use to get into town, and those businesses also will come to the airport and pick you up if someone already has the courtesy car. After eating at the Gibraltar Grill, I talked to the owner and thanked him for his support of the airport. He said, "I love the airport!" I asked if he was a pilot - Nope, but he said he gets lots of business from pilots as a result of his support of the airport. THAT is how it is supposed to work!

I don't think I've ever bought fuel there, but it's definitely a favorite stop for us. And looking right now, it appears that 3D2's fuel is 50c/gal cheaper than KSUE.

OP, I would suggest fueling after you leave 2P2. Their runways are pretty short, and while it won't be super-tight, I'd take the extra performance on takeoff, all else being equal.

There isn't much to worry about on that route. Keep the big lake to your right, stay out of the ORD Bravo, and I'd just go ahead and call Milwaukee Approach on 135.87 for flight following when you cross the state line - They don't bite. ;) (They may give you a different frequency right away.) When you get north of the Milwaukee area, you'll get handed to 127.0 or 127.37, and then up near Appleton you'll get handed off to Green Bay approach, who will keep you the rest of the way up. Green Bay is pretty sleepy as far as TRACONs go, they really only have one frequency that they use (119.4).

Any other questions, give me a shout. I've been flying in Wisconsin for 15+ years and 2000+ hours. :)

OP, I would suggest fueling after you leave 2P2. Their runways are pretty short, and while it won't be super-tight, I'd take the extra performance on takeoff, all else being equal.

Thanks. This is a super helpful hint! Refueling before 2P2 made little sense for me but I was a bit uneasy leaving the island with half tank, even for the short flight to 3D2 or KSUE. On the other hand, I was a bit concerned about the extra weight leaving the island: between full tanks, and the whitefish basket at KK Fiske, the Archer may struggle a little!

Either way, this is going to be the most expensive washing machine repair in the Great Lakes region. Parts: $50. Airplane rental: $500. Pilot pleasure: priceless.

Thanks. This is a super helpful hint! Refueling before 2P2 made little sense for me but I was a bit uneasy leaving the island with half tank, even for the short flight to 3D2 or KSUE. On the other hand, I was a bit concerned about the extra weight leaving the island: between full tanks, and the whitefish basket at KK Fiske, the Archer may struggle a little!

Either way, this is going to be the most expensive washing machine repair in the Great Lakes region. Parts: $50. Airplane rental: $500. Pilot pleasure: priceless.

Picking up parts from someone on Washington Island? Cool! :)

If you leave 06C with full tanks, you'll have close to enough fuel to make the round trip without refueling. Now, I'm all about having more than the legal reserve, and I do think you should refuel at some point, but keep in mind that you'll be coming from one of the hardest places to get lost! From 2P2, you'll have Lake Michigan on one side and Green Bay on the other side (looks like Lake Michigan except the opposite shoreline will be much closer to you). To the north, you'll have more islands, to the south, you'll have the peninsula of Door County, which is where you want to be. It's about as geographically unmistakeable as possible! So, leaving with 2+ hours of fuel from there, you'll have an easy time finding your way in the right direction, and there's plenty of places to stop and fuel even if you missed your intended stop.

I know you're likely used to departing on every single flight with full tanks at this point, but in the real world you'll quickly get used to planning your fuel usage across multiple legs and tanks... And you may end up going somewhere where you take off with only an hour of fuel for a 5-minute leg to a fuel stop.

Enjoy the trip, and wave as you fly over me! :)

On the other hand, 3D2 is an excellent destination. Other small airports should take a lesson in how to interact with the local population!

3D2 has a "friends of the airport" type group that solicited a bunch of local business owners for some money and did some marketing while they were at it. They got enough money to put a courtesy car and about eight bikes at the airport for pilots to use to get into town, and those businesses also will come to the airport and pick you up if someone already has the courtesy car. After eating at the Gibraltar Grill, I talked to the owner and thanked him for his support of the airport. He said, "I love the airport!" I asked if he was a pilot - Nope, but he said he gets lots of business from pilots as a result of his support of the airport. THAT is how it is supposed to work!

I don't think I've ever bought fuel there, but it's definitely a favorite stop for us. And looking right now, it appears that 3D2's fuel is 50c/gal cheaper than KSUE.

There isn't much to worry about on that route. Keep the big lake to your right, stay out of the ORD Bravo, and I'd just go ahead and call Milwaukee Approach on 135.87 for flight following when you cross the state line - They don't bite. ;) (They may give you a different frequency right away.) When you get north of the Milwaukee area, you'll get handed to 127.0 or 127.37, and then up near Appleton you'll get handed off to Green Bay approach, who will keep you the rest of the way up. Green Bay is pretty sleepy as far as TRACONs go, they really only have one frequency that they use (119.4).

Any other questions, give me a shout. I've been flying in Wisconsin for 15+ years and 2000+ hours. :)

That sounds like a great relationship between the town and airport. I wish more airports and towns were like that.

This is a thing? People do that? :confused2:

During training, yes. I think the first time I ever departed with less than full tanks was about 6 months post-Private when I went on my first "long" (400 nm-ish) trip in an Archer with 3 sizable adults aboard and we were weight limited. Most training/rental planes I'm aware of are fully fueled after every flight.

Now, I rarely am full. But I fly a plane that can put me in the Atlantic around about 1/3 of the compass if I depart full.

Back