Dallas Airport recommendation

tex_an

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
tx_pilot
I am hoping to get input from the members that live in the Dallas Area.

If you draw a triangle from KDFW, KADS, KDAL. I have to travel to a location in the middle of that triangle 2 or 3 times a month. I fly a Piper Cherokee 6. Interested to understand costs and recommendations.

Welp that is probably the most expensive triangle you could draw in the state.
I'd find a fringe airport and uber. GPM or RBD would be the best bet.

Working on Harry Hines in the evenings?

I presume you're going to be driving, although there is some fair train service in the area, especially in Los Colinas. Just about any airport would work, but I would personally choose one to the south because the area north and west of where you need to be has a lot of toll roads. That's just my personal peeve, I do not like toll roads. Even if they don't have rental car on site, Enterprise will pick you up almost anywhere.

There's no train service within walking distance of any of these
KRDB (Dallas Executive) - looks like $10/overnight fee, but they say they waive it with fuel purchase. Fuel currently $4.75.
KGPN (Grand Prairie) - no fee? $5/night? $10/night? better call. Fuel at $4.54
KGKY (Arlington) - $10/night, waived with fuel purchase. Fuel $4.44
KHQZ (Mesquite) - $10/night, waived with fuel purchase. Fuel $4.35
KLNC (Lancaster) - no fee, Fuel $4.33. But this is way out there, you'll think you're lost getting to the airport.

Fuel prices from skyvector, fee informatin from rampfee.me

I would avoid any of the 3 airports that form your triangle, their fees are substantially higher. Although it might be worth paying the landing fee at DFW or DAL if you can otherwise travel on the train.

I would avoid any of the 3 airports that form your triangle, their fees are substantially higher. Although it might be worth paying the landing fee at DFW or DAL if you can otherwise travel on the train.
Glad you added that caveat. I know people that have stayed at a distant airport and rented a car for $80/night rather than pay $40 airport fees and $20 for a couple of Uber rides (or a courtesy car). Although Uber can now go to many more airports than they used to, they can't go to all of them, so you need to watch out for that. Uber can now come to DAB but you have to be waiting for them at the (Uber/Lyft) sign. If you aren't right at the sign, the slow down then continue on without you.

I have resigned myself to renting a car each visit, cheaper to do that than 2 uber rides there an back or abs etc.

I don't have to go to the 3 airports in the triangle, but I don't want to fly into say KAFW and then sit in traffic for an hour.

Adding to Brian's list you can consider KDTO and KTKI

KDFW is a non-starter as landing fees are steep.
KDAL can work, and the two FBO's to use are Business Jet and Signature. Fees are not terrible for a large airport, and some can be waived with fuel purchase.
KADS and Millionaire and Atlantic are doable, again, fees are to be expected, but not terrible.

With both, be on your #1 comms and flying game. Both can get crazy busy and the controllers really appreciate when you're not creating or being part of the problem.

Shockingly, 100LL is only $5 a gallon at DFW. Cheaper than ADS. The landing fee at DFW is only $3.30 per 1000 pounds. A Cherokee 6 would cost you all of ten bucks in landing fees. 10 gallons of gas would save you twice that over ADS.

I've used KTKI and KRBD a fair bit over the years, including car rentals. FBOs are good at both, and traffic around each is not so bad compared to more central areas. But if you're trying to get to a central area, well, neither will be great.

If you rent a car from TKI, they'll try to push you to Go Rentals, which caters to the jet set with prices to match. You can ask for Enterprise and get a slightly better rate, but it's still got the "FBO surcharge" pricing. Lowest GR price will be ~$80/day, Enterprise will be ~$55.

LOL, its Dallas. Youll sit in traffic for an hour regardless

N1120A where did you get the Ramp Weight cost? $3.30 per 1000 pounds

We flew into KTKI two weeks ago and found the prices reasonable. Friends picked us up though so I'm not sure about car rental prices. Fuel was way cheaper than KADS and tie down fee was only $10/night I think.

LOL, its Dallas. Youll sit in traffic for an hour regardless
punishment for deciding to reside in West Frisco....

Though it is starting to creep in to Denton too.

I go to the DFW area at last monthly and use GPM.

The folks at Aviator take very good care of me, have no fees, and some of the cheapest fuel in the area. Enterprise will leave a car with the Aviator if you rent through them.

All the major rental companies will come get you at a GPM but being able to pick the car up and drop it off at Aviator saves me at least 30 minutes on each end vs. the rental-companies pick up service. I’ve also been able to get Avis to drop one for me in the past but haven’t tried them recently.

Aviator has put my plane in their hanger when severe weather popped up. One time when an ice storm was going to hit the area overnight when I was up their Aviator’s hanger was full. They called around and found a local tenant that was out of town got permission to put my plane in his hanger for the night. That’s what I mean when I say they take good care of me.

Redbird worked out well in the past as well but GPM is closer to where I need to go I’m the DFW area.

Gary

You come up this way Monthly and you haven't invited myself, @SixPapaCharlie, @overdrive148, and @JCranford to join you for food beverage and "lying about flying" session?

Shame on you!

PS.. we need to take you to this place that has "Fire Ant Funeral" Amber Ale. It was so good, even Dave Thiesen liked it!

Can you give a little better detail on exactly where your work (and related lodging) will be?

Addision (KADS) is not bad considering the location. I fly into there and use Atlantic (no real reason why) pay the $40 ramp fee and don't buy any fuel (don't need any and the "discount" on the ramp fee if you buy fuel is not enough to offset the higher cost of fuel compared to my home airport). I use Uber to get where I need to go and then get back and leave. A pretty easy "hassle free" way to get into North Dallas.

For anything in the southern end of the Metroplex, Grand Prairie (KGPM) is a great choice. As mentioned above, very economical and great service. Everything you could want in an urban airport.

I decided on KADS.

When coming from south I assume they are going to route me to the right of the class B something like BACKS->MANOS->BONOO->KADS or will they just route me thru the B?

Yah, they'll shoot you up the right hand side over Hobby. Read up on the Cedar Hill Towers. Coming from the South you'll get to see them.

[You may remember them from the PPL written]

Don't be this guy:

I'm based at Dallas Executive / Redbird and I know I'm biased, but traffic down this way is rarely bad unless you are at rush hour. I personally think it's one of the better options, and yes, sometimes we land at other airports in the Metroplex because of fuel and photo mission stuff.

Yah, they'll shoot you up the right hand side over Hobby. Read up on the Cedar Hill Towers. Coming from the South you'll get to see them.

[You may remember them from the PPL written]

Don't be this guy:

Where is HOBBY?

Hobby is SE of downtown Houston. Just a few hours away.

Maybe meant Arlington?

I always go to either Mesquite (HQZ) or Meacham (FTW) and drive. Maybe I’m just lucky, but haven’t had any issues with traffic. It’s not like it’s DC or NYC.

If do go to HQZ just don’t ask tomorrow about the runway signs. They get irritated....

Last edited:
If you go to ADS, just be aware of the runway ‘hotspots’.

They are literally everywhere.....

My choice would be Addison or Dallas Executive. Mesquite, Meachem, and Grand Prairie are all further away in traffic travel minutes, sometimes quite a bit further depending on time of day and if there are accidents.

The freeways or tollways between KADS, KRBD, and the area you specified are also able to absorb rush hour and accident congestion better.

Last edited:
Back