Diner at Brenham, TX (11R) re-opens

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Was closed for a year or so.... now open under new owners.... Preliminary reports from pilots who were there Friday and Saturday are encouraging.

Hours of operation are Friday to Sunday, 11:00 am to 3:00pm

Was closed for a year or so.... now open under new owners.... Preliminary reports from pilots who were there Friday and Saturday are encouraging.

That is great. I miss going to that place.

Sweet, glad to see it reopened. Will have to visit soon.

And agreed with Jim, somebody needs to fix the webpage. If the new owners even know there's a webpage.

Thanks for the update, Mike!

Been there once and remember that it was busy and had a 50's theme with the servers wearing poodle skirts. Is it the same?

Been there once and remember that it was busy and had a 50's theme with the servers wearing poodle skirts. Is it the same?
That was the theme.

We haven't had reports of they continued that. But the reports on food quality have been promising.

I just called them and they are doing a soft opening now (She Said - Practicing on the pilots).

They are having a really hard time finding any help. She said they will try to have it open sometime in September.

She said check their Facebook page to know when they are open.

Is it going to have the same name? Is it the same Facebook site that still says "Permanently Closed" and shows all the 50's decor? If so, they should change it to say "Coming Soon" or something. C'mon, folks, it's 2018, not 1958. You gotta work the social media and search engines as part of your marketing. This thread is helpful, but it's only going to reach so far.

I wonder if the new owners do not have access to the old webpage and Fecesbook page. Then it sure would be hard to update them.
We need to spread the word ourselves (I don't mind, I like supporting and advertising airport diners).

They are open.... Same owners Jack and Janet... Friday-Monday... Same 50's theme... They are asking that people buy gas when they fly in for lunch, it will help keep the place open...

I wonder if the new owners do not have access to the old webpage and Fecesbook page. Then it sure would be hard to update them.
We need to spread the word ourselves (I don't mind, I like supporting and advertising airport diners).

Same owners and the place has been packed on the weekends. They say open to pilots now and have not advertised to the local newspaper yet but people are driving over to eat also. They are training a full new crew.
Not sure where the new owner rumor came from???

That's really good to hear. That was a staple of the Central Texas flying community.

They are open.... Same owners Jack and Janet... Friday-Monday... Same 50's theme... They are asking that people buy gas when they fly in for lunch, it will help keep the place open...
Sorry you were out of town when I went Shawn! We were going this weekend, but weather changed our minds.

To be clear, if you go there, buy gas from their truck. It's listed at 40 cents more, but they will discount that 40 cents to make it the same as the self serve price.

I was happy to fly there and enjoy it. Yes, it's the same vibe, poodle skirts and all. The menu is different. They've removed fried foods, replacing french fries with potato chips, no chicken fried steak sandwich, etc. Not sure if this is a permanent change or just while they're ramping back up. My friend whined and complained about it enough that I won't be going back with him... Give them a break as they try to get back in the swing of things. They're awesome people and it's one of my favorite places to make a quick lunch trip.

Sorry you were out of town when I went Shawn! We were going this weekend, but weather changed our minds.

To be clear, if you go there, buy gas from their truck. It's listed at 40 cents more, but they will discount that 40 cents to make it the same as the self serve price.

I was happy to fly there and enjoy it. Yes, it's the same vibe, poodle skirts and all. The menu is different. They've removed fried foods, replacing french fries with potato chips, no chicken fried steak sandwich, etc. Not sure if this is a permanent change or just while they're ramping back up. My friend whined and complained about it enough that I won't be going back with him... Give them a break as they try to get back in the swing of things. They're awesome people and it's one of my favorite places to make a quick lunch trip.

Fried stuff is off the menu for good.
They were going to do Pizza and Italian stuff but I think lots of pilots complained and didn’t want pizza so they decided on the menu now.
I’m glad the fried crap is gone. It’s not good for my fat ass :)

Fried stuff is off the menu for good.
They were going to do Pizza and Italian stuff but I think lots of pilots complained and didn’t want pizza so they decided on the menu now.
I’m glad the fried crap is gone. It’s not good for my fat ass :)
If they are going to maintain the 50's diner theme, then they need to keep to food choices that were popular in that time frame: Burgers, patty melts, BLT's, shakes, etc.

And like you hinted at, don't try to change an already proven winner by adding pizza and italian items. Stick with the classic diner items. About the only switch up might be offering a "Sac Arrow" lettuce wrapped burger and a vegan/vegetarian option (or two)

Keeping the menu simple allows focus on quality and keeps the food costs low.

Back