HIMS, Recovery, & Getting My Medical

A

anonquestion

Hello all!

I am currently a 25 y.o. female and am trying to get my medical to complete my PPL (already 40 hours in due to delay with certificate). My alcohol dependence started at 20 y.o. in college. I went to treatment at 21 and stayed sober approx 6 months before relapsing. After a year long relapse, I decided enough was enough and put myself in detox and then to treatment a second time. I was in an in-patient rehab for 6 weeks, successfully completed, and lived in a sober living environment for 11 months while attending an IOP (intensive out patient) for 9 of those months. I've lived on my own for over a year now and have over two years of sobriety. Flying has always been a passion of mine and decided to try for my medical after 2 years of sobriety (since that is what FAA requires). Just received a letter today of the many hoops I need to jump through with the HIMS program including two evaluations, drug testing, etc. I was in a treatment program of some sorts during my first year of sobriety, completed 90 meetings in 90 days, got a sponsor, completed the steps, and now with 2+ years, attend 2+ meetings a week, have sponsees, and am actively involved in AA. I have a clean record (not even a speeding ticket) and am established in the recovery community.
I thought by getting my medical once I reached 2 years I would be fine since I was not actively flying during my alcoholism.

Does anyone have any insight on how much my the evaluations will cost, if there is even a possibility I will be cleared, and approx. how long it will take?

I've read other posts from people of it taking around 1.5 years from beginning to end of getting everything cleared but I already have sober time and do what is needed to maintain sobriety.

Hello all!

I am currently a 25 y.o. female and am trying to get my medical to complete my PPL (already 40 hours in due to delay with certificate). My alcohol dependence started at 20 y.o. in college. I went to treatment at 21 and stayed sober approx 6 months before relapsing. After a year long relapse, I decided enough was enough and put myself in detox and then to treatment a second time. I was in an in-patient rehab for 6 weeks, successfully completed, and lived in a sober living environment for 11 months while attending an IOP (intensive out patient) for 9 of those months. I've lived on my own for over a year now and have over two years of sobriety. Flying has always been a passion of mine and decided to try for my medical after 2 years of sobriety (since that is what FAA requires). Just received a letter today of the many hoops I need to jump through with the HIMS program including two evaluations, drug testing, etc. I was in a treatment program of some sorts during my first year of sobriety, completed 90 meetings in 90 days, got a sponsor, completed the steps, and now with 2+ years, attend 2+ meetings a week, have sponsees, and am actively involved in AA. I have a clean record (not even a speeding ticket) and am established in the recovery community.
I thought by getting my medical once I reached 2 years I would be fine since I was not actively flying during my alcoholism.

Does anyone have any insight on how much my the evaluations will cost, if there is even a possibility I will be cleared, and approx. how long it will take?

I've read other posts from people of it taking around 1.5 years from beginning to end of getting everything cleared but I already have sober time and do what is needed to maintain sobriety.
i would start a program of provable sobriety (urines) and logged AA meetings. After six months, if you can get a hims Psychiatrist to concur that you are in sustained remission and have adequate recovery activities, you may not the neuro psychologist. Each portion is ~3K.

Hello all!

07-07-11 I went to a detox center to assure I would be safe as I withdrew from alcohol (self imposed). I was sober for 4 years. No tickets or arrests,ever. Applied for a 3rd class medical,9-15-15.
Revoked,1-15-16. HIMS AME, Cogscreen, letters of character from people in my life,medical records and after 1 year was issued an SI on 1-17-17.(approximately $2000).
Now almost half way through 18 months of 21 more random urine tests, AA, quarterly appointments with HIMS AME. My doctor told me today I should be cleared in 09-18.
They will treat you like a person who would drink a gallon of whiskey and load up a plane with toddlers and fly over the White House. It is very frustrating but you can do it.
I see a AME in Tulsa, I expect the total cost to be around $3500 and lots of time.
Stay sober, stay calm, and stay very patient. Most importantly stay sober.

07-07-11
They will treat you like a person who would drink a gallon of whiskey and load up a plane with toddlers and fly over the White House. It is very frustrating but you can do it.

'they' - surely not your loving, kind and caring HIMS AME?

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 7.05.14 AM.png
hope your case is still proceeding favorably. Just got a FAA ltr on another airman ... he avoided full HIMS. Airmen need to remember - no drinking for ENTIRE flying career. Hang in there!

engaged with 2 new HIMS type airmen this past week. one a young marine was just about to start primary. Now he's awaiting discharge. He will do fine in the civilian route as he flew as a teenager. The other is a nuclear engineer with 1000 excuses. lol. He will do well too!

It took me 3 years in HIMS to get my non-special issuance medical from the FAA. It cost a lot, but I love to fly and it was worth it. Persistence is essential.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back