What happens if I'm late renewing my medical?

Rykymus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rykymus
Class 3, that I had to jump through a ton of hoops to get the first one. (Had a single kidney stone 2 yrs prior to getting my medical, plus my left eye was below limits. Also had high blood pressure and was pre-diabetic.) Got the medical with an SI for the kidney stone, and a SODA for the left eye. The SI was dropped about 3 yrs ago. My vision hasn't changed, however, my high blood pressure is no longer high (I no longer take HBP meds) my A1c is back in the normal range so I'm no longer considered "pre-diabetic". I also have not had any kidney stone recurrence. (Losing 50lbs helped with everything, except the eye.)

I really wanted to do my medical renewal with the same AME I have been using for the last 6 years. (Great guy.) Especially since this is the end of my first full two years of not having an SI. Having recently moved from CA to TX, I have yet to find a local AME that I trust. (My first one was a PITA, whose incompetence cost me 8 months of waiting when it didn't need to.) I have no problem flying back (commercial) to CA to see my AME, as I would visit friends and family as well. However, my medical expires end of September, and my appt would be right as we are moving into our new home that I am currently renovating. I would like to postpone my appt for my medical until mid October, but worry that being late renewing is going to cause me problems. I am not currently flying (sold the plane, and haven't had time to rent due to the reno) and probably won't start up again until early next year, so there's no conflict there. I don't want to go basic med, as I hope to fly a larger pressurized twin in the not-so-distant future.

Am I worrying over nothing?

Nuthin! Can't fly, legally, til you get it though.

I assume mscard is right. No problem; just don't fly till you are legal again.

But I am only posting to congratulate you on losing the weight. Way to go.

Just make sure you have all your previous documentation from the hoops you went through, including anything from a regional flight surgeon.

Shouldn't effect you at all (with the exception of abstaining from acting as PIC in the meantime). It basically the same thing that happens when your plane goes out of annual.

I think you could continue to fly a Light Sport category plane...forever....without another medical. But your plane looks a little heavy for light sport :)

I went through almost exactly what you described except for one added thing and do not have the eye thing. I had to switch AME's this time because my past one retired. My recommendation is to search out someone in your area and ask to have a talk with him or her before you schedule so that you can talk about everything. My last visit snowballed because I had become pre-diabetic and was just about to start using a CPAP machine. I worked through all of it and I'm I've started my weight loss to see if I have the same results as you. The AME I used just retired, but I would not have gone back to him and should have not gone to him after I read patient reviews. Thought I could have overcome the oddities he had. Good luck.

I don't want to go basic med, as I hope to fly a larger pressurized twin in the not-so-distant future.

I don't believe doing Basic Med stops one from getting a full medical again later on. You could do Basic Med now and rent planes that qualify under Basic Med and then do a full 3rd Class, or higher, when you need that for planes that don't qualify under Basic Med.

I assume mscard is right. No problem; just don't fly till you are legal again.

But I am only posting to congratulate you on losing the weight. Way to go.

I take great exception to your first sentence. :D

The rest of it, +1.

Class 3, that I had to jump through a ton of hoops to get the first one. (Had a single kidney stone 2 yrs prior to getting my medical, plus my left eye was below limits. Also had high blood pressure and was pre-diabetic.) Got the medical with an SI for the kidney stone, and a SODA for the left eye. The SI was dropped about 3 yrs ago. My vision hasn't changed, however, my high blood pressure is no longer high (I no longer take HBP meds) my A1c is back in the normal range so I'm no longer considered "pre-diabetic". I also have not had any kidney stone recurrence. (Losing 50lbs helped with everything, except the eye.)

I really wanted to do my medical renewal with the same AME I have been using for the last 6 years. (Great guy.) Especially since this is the end of my first full two years of not having an SI. Having recently moved from CA to TX, I have yet to find a local AME that I trust. (My first one was a PITA, whose incompetence cost me 8 months of waiting when it didn't need to.) I have no problem flying back (commercial) to CA to see my AME, as I would visit friends and family as well. However, my medical expires end of September, and my appt would be right as we are moving into our new home that I am currently renovating. I would like to postpone my appt for my medical until mid October, but worry that being late renewing is going to cause me problems. I am not currently flying (sold the plane, and haven't had time to rent due to the reno) and probably won't start up again until early next year, so there's no conflict there. I don't want to go basic med, as I hope to fly a larger pressurized twin in the not-so-distant future.

Am I worrying over nothing?

No worries over the delay. Personally, I would make the trip to see the AME I trust.
Otherwise, ask around your new location as to who is recommended and who to avoid.

Dave

Back