Charleston, SC

Richard O

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Richard O.
I'm planning an overnight trip to Charleston, SC for my EAA chapter. I would appreciate any advice on places to stay and things to do and see. Nothing as cheap as a Motel 6 but also not a Ritz Carlton. Something that would be close to attractions. Wives will be along on this trip.

Thanks,
Richard

Please post if you get any 'hidden gems' in your trip research. I think we're planning on going down to 'Chaaaalston' in March for spring break before heading to Columbus, GA for my bro-in-law's graduation from Airborne school.

I know that they have architecture walking tours on Saturday/Sunday mornings, starting maybe around 10 AM. I couldn't give you more details than that, but I'm sure the tourist office would have them.

There are some nice rooftop bars/restos, too. Since we were just wandering I couldn't even tell you a name right now, but if you are interested I can ask my friends I was with since they went there on business regularly.

Please post if you get any 'hidden gems' in your trip research. I think we're planning on going down to 'Chaaaalston' in March for spring break before heading to Columbus, GA for my bro-in-law's graduation from Airborne school.
Congrats to your b-i-l. I was born and grew up in Columbus. We would go out to Ft Benning and watch the paratroopers. It's quite a sight to see 1000 parachutes in the air at one time.

Just over the river in Mt Pleasant are several hotels (Holiday Inn, Red Roof, Hampton Inn, etc). That's a lot cheaper than staying in the historic district; it's not as scenic and cool, but definitely cheaper (I've done both, including a B&B on the battery). I flew into the East Cooper Airport (KLRO) on our last trip. That's a nice little airport, but I think I may go into KCHS for a short weekend trip next time.

There are lots of things to do in Charleston. Patriot Point has old naval vessels. There are lots of golf courses. Shopping on Market Street is very interesting. We enjoyed a horse-buggy / history lesson ride last time. They have an aquarium, but it's a lot smaller than the Atlanta and Chattanooga aquariums.

Touring the houses in the historic district is nice. I prefer doing in on a mountain bike. That's faster than walking, but easier to stop and look longer than when you're in a car.

There's also sailing tours of the battery / harbor. I haven't been on a tour of Fort Sumter yet.

Don't go too far into summer. It can get quite hot in Charleston. And while the water may moderate the temperature it also cranks up the humidity.

The WTA Family Circle tennis tournament is in mid April.

Last edited:
Patriot's point is definitely cool, especially the sub. I went on the Ft. Sumter tour - It was pretty interesting but honestly I don't remember being blown away by it. The boat ride around the harbor is nice though.

I camped out at Patriot's Point once... on a motorcycle trip, stopped to look at the sub and carrier and asked them where I could camp overnight. They said to come back when they were closing and i could camp right there - I pulled in on the golf course road, they locked it behind me, I pitched a tent and stayed there that night. Woke up early the next morning and looked out - there was a fox sitting about 100' away, just watching my tent - he hadn't ever seen one there before, I guess. :)

If you are what you eat; call me shrimp! It's fresh off the boat with a bit of cornbread.
We went to the aquarium; the marketplace, carriage ride and the beach twice a day. Great,weather.

Last edited:
Back